Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,850 times

Advertisements

I would like to get some info from anyone who works in the tel-co/cable/installation field.Was wondering if any one can give me any info on all the telecommunication companies and/or cable tv companies. I am a installation and repair tech for a major tel/broadband co. and would like any info on the jobs in that field in the W. Knox area.......work conditions,benefits,payscale,etc....I know there are a few different companies. I would like to hear from anyone who is in that field.......thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 05:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
You found your girl.

I work for Comcast. I love it. It is an incredible company.

It was started in 1960 in Tupelo, Mississippi by Ralph Roberts and is the largest cable and internet company in the country. It is still run by the same family. Ralph Roberts still sits on the board of directors and his son Brian, who started by climbing poles, now runs the company.

They do not outsource to other companies

How many American companies can say all that?

Working for the company feels like a wonderful happy home. As long as I am able, I will work for them.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 20,951 times
I am glad that you enjoy your employment with Comcast. I certainly have not enjoyed being one of their customers. If it were not for VOD, I would have defected years ago. The few times I have requested service, the providers they sent (I know they were contract workers), did not know how or refused to do the necessary work. Some even said they didn't know how. Another did not perform a certain job and said they did. It took months, a fit in the Comcast office lobby and a visit from a verifier to confirm that the work was not done. Billing has been abysmal, as well. I have paid through internet banking with First Tennessee, likely the most reputable and established bank in the area. I provided FT with the accurate account number and Comcast sat on the check for three weeks. FT had to intervene. Other times when I mailed a personal check, it was not applied until after the late fee date, about three weeks later. Other times I have been solicited for new products, and the soliciters did not know very much about the specifications of their product. If I had an actual loan with Comcast, I would be scared to death. Thank goodness it's only a monthly recurring cost.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:47 PM

213 posts, read 551,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebird View Post
I have paid through internet banking with First Tennessee, likely the most reputable and established bank in the area.
I don't think so! After FT bought out Valley Bank, I had nothing but trouble with them. When my wife and I were married, and I put her car insurance on mine, it took many calls to Memphis before I could get them to believe her car was really insured. Give me a local bank any day.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 20,951 times
Hi tntim

I'm sorry about your insurance experience. When I said established and reputable, I didn't mean they were without fault. These days they have grown to the point that they prefer commercial customers. However, as many banks as I have had accounts with, I have had the least flack with them. I had three car loans with them. In the instance I spoke of, Comcast had already cashed my check, but didn't credit my account. That's not such an anomaly, but the way I was treated when dealing with it was.

As for the original poster, I suggest if he wants to eventually have a good job with good benefits, work for Bellsouth. It may take a few years to move up, but the accompanying perks will be worth it. I have family members in telecom, and these types of jobs with lucrative paychecks are not that easy to come by in Knoxville, which is mostly a health services and transportation city. If he does IT, then he may have more options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: