Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 08:29 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,728 times

Advertisements

I am scouting out Knoxville as a possible place to move in a few years, and I'm considering the northern section of Knoxville, because I like older homes. I think I would like to rent first, and then possibly buy a home an old home and renovate it.

I am planning to visit soon, and I was wondering if people could help me with directions.

I want to drive through a few neighborhoods to see what they feel like.

Could you all name a few streets that I should drive down in a few different neighborhoods, that would give me a feel for each place?

I think I'm interested in Old North Knoxville, Lincoln Park, Park Ridge, and Oakwood. Possibly also interested in Island Home.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 06:14 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
I would say just drive up and down all of the streets in those neighborhoods. They are not that big, and you could do a tour in a fairly short time. You can also follow the painted lines on the roads that are for the Dogwood Tour. That would give you a pretty good idea too.

Good luck with your quest!

Old 12-25-2012, 06:19 PM

29 posts, read 56,061 times
Default Old Homes in Knoxville

If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time because in a "few years" the landscape of "old homes" and what is available for renovation will be completely different. The number of available homes for renovation is quickly dropping. However if you insist....

ONK..Oklahoma, East Scott, Glenwood, Fremont, Kenyon, Armstrong, Harvey, Cornelia

Parkridge...Washington, Jefferson, Woodbine, Glenwood, E. 5th

Oakwood-Lincoln Park...Oglewood, Columbia, Oak Hill, Emerald

4th & Gill...Luttrell, Eleanor, Gratz, Gill, Wells

Old 12-26-2012, 07:35 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Island home is, as you might guess, Island Home blvd & Maplewood. If you like Tudor style homes check out Lindburgh forest - Southwood & Druid dr. area in South Knoxville. North hills has beautiful tudor style homes, too. North Hills blvd, Kenilworth, etc.

Don't worry, there will still be homes available for renovation in a few years. People aren't going to stop dying, downsizing, moving to assisted living.... Landlords will tire of landlording, etc.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 PM

57 posts, read 96,976 times
I would ramble around the neighborhoods. One given street won't give you a full sense of the neighborhood.
In Oakwood-Lincoln Park the streets that hug the base of Sharp's Ridge show a wide range of homes (Queen Ann's, Bungalows, and even some ranches): Farragut, Freemason, Watauga, etc.... then take Fairfax (off Freemason) back to broadway to explore the Emoriland and Fairmont neighborhood. While your in the neighborhood you might want to take Ludlow (off Freemason) to the top of Sharp's Ridge for a birds eye view of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville