Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Mechanicsville is the only other place I can think of with a grocery across from a motel. Do you remember if it was Food City or Ingles?
Far from it but that would be a scary place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:56 AM

132 posts, read 190,406 times
Food City sounds right when I said it out loud to Wifey which, by the way, is right now looking at homes in 37920 as I write this... Ingles doesn't even ring a bell. They were giving away a Harley inside and I texted the sign-up for it, if that helps the hunt. Remember, I realized then we shouldn't make a judgement on the entire city from where we were that night and we were road-worn and needed a place that we didn't have to wonder/worry about sleeping that night. The intersection in front of it was one of those that had a "triangle" I think. Since I woke up the "detective" in you, hope that helps...

Oh crap! It is really snowing outside here... We are late for selling our house for sure now! Betting Knoxville is a little nicer than this 35 degree day up here!

Before you get started into the house thing, we figure on renting for a few months while getting the job thing done first. It is fun to look though...

Old 11-08-2013, 07:23 AM

6,333 posts, read 11,489,882 times
Yes, that sounds like Mechanicsville and the motel in question is more a welfare hotel than a place you'd expect travellers to stay. But I guess there is no way for the travel apps to specify that. I've delivered food bags there and from the outside it looks like a generic motel, its just the patrons might be scary.

The more upscale areas near the lake in S Knox are Island Home Neighborhood* and Lakemoor Hills. *be sure to distinquish from Island home pike which has a much wider range of homes, some on the low end. You might also want to look at Holston Hills. It is a bit farther from town but has a country club and some very upscale homes.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:46 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Mechanicsville and Lonsdale are two of the worst places in Knoxville. East Knoxville is another area that you want to avoid. Frankly, South Knoxville is pretty dumpy, too. There are a couple of fairly decent areas that creeksitter mentioned but if you want to impress the wife, you best steer clear. Even getting to those spots, you have to travel through some not attractive areas. Also, be careful because some people on the forum are landlords with properties in not very good areas. They like to direct people to their area on the Knoxville forum and other parts of the forum as well.

Frankly, if you want to not scare the wife you probably want to stick with the most sought-after parts of town like West Knoxville, Farragut, etc. It's a great idea to rent first. What kind of area do you feel comfortable in and what is your budget? What do you like to do? Shop? Outdoorsy?

Oh, and are you going to need jobs?

Last edited by hiknapster; 11-08-2013 at 07:55 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 AM

6,333 posts, read 11,489,882 times
You certainly don't drive through anyplace dumpy to get to Lakemoor Hills. Nor Holston Hills if you stick to the interstate. Or IHP if you take the JWP/ hillwood exit.

I do NOT own rental property in or near any of those places and I resent the implication. Please stop with your personal vendetta.

IIRC with lakehopper's budget he will have a hard time finding property in west Knox. Except maybe Melton Hill. But you are right, he needs to find a job first.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
IIRC with lakehopper's budget he will have a hard time finding property in west Knox. Except maybe Melton Hill. But you are right, he needs to find a job first.
You and Hik are having fun on here... By the way, my budget does not look too bad since I've been looking around a bit. We will be selling our place up here and have been saving up for our exit strategy for quite some time since the house got paid off... We can survive at least a year without touching the proceeds from the house even without jobs as I figure. We are both working now and will work right up to until when we turn the key in the moving truck.

I would love to pay cash for a house and from what I see as a moderate house just outside the city with maybe a half acre (or a little more..), that should not be trouble at all. Not looking for a mansion. Something around $100k maybe needing a little bit of personal attention to make it ours would be great. The house we are selling now, we gutted and replaced pretty much everything. We did it all except the roof (which I could have done as well...) and found out today that we have our first buyer looking at it this Sunday and (if that doesn't work) our "Open House" next week. Wish us luck! As I said earlier, it started snowing this morning and we want to get out of here... I didn't sell the snow blower yet though. I'm not stupid! It usually starts around Halloween but we got a break so far.

Our plan is to rent for up to six months while getting the job thing figured out and then get the house somewhere close to job where we want to be... until then, we window shop a little to find out about neighborhoods and stuff we care about.

I drive 40 minutes (30 miles) to the closest restaurant I take care of now and usually put 100+ on my vehicle on most workdays and that is up here in this crappy weather. I don't really think any "commute" will be a problem after this job!

This is not our first rodeo... The military kinda taught us how to do this moving stuff. It's a little scary but we are looking forward to it for sure... little different when we are walking away from jobs this time. Central New York in our rear view mirror is going to be worth it...!!! People here think we are crazy but we can't stand it here another Winter. The politics up here are killing us as well...

It's just the two of us now and we would love to do more leisure outdoor activities like hiking, biking, and taking a nice motorcycle ride through the mountain roads. Oh yeah (forgot), Wifey wants to zip-line at least once and I would like to try hang gliding.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 PM

We just accepted an offer to sell our house in NY a couple weeks ago and hope to be out of here by Feb 4th!

Soon to be unemployed, but very happy about it... yeah, I know, weirdest feeling I've had about deliberately being unemployed ever! I have gotten calls about interviews down there but they sour as soon as they realize where I am now. We are planning a trip Jan 4-10 and will be looking around much more seriously/thoroughly this time! Thinking about driving straight through so we have even more time there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville