Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,896 times

Advertisements

Help, we are moving to Tn the first part of December and we are not sure of our location yet. We have two sons 7 & 9 and schools/education is our main priority. We have been working long distance with a realtor who suggested Maryville. We want to get a home with some acerage (we now live in zero-lot line subdivision). I heard some talk about a overpass or extention of some highway coming through the Maryville area? Needless to say we are overwelmed with the whole moving process. We have not been to the Knoxville/surrounding areas yet, we are planning to come this coming weekend to scope out the areas. Any suggestion or feedback on where to buy or not to buy would be extremely appreciated. How is the housing market? Thanks in advance for your input and advice.
rocketman63
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 PM

20 posts, read 68,062 times
This is a great time to be a buyer. Where the housing market is not bad it is definately a buyer's market. Plenty of inventory to choose from, resulting in the ability to get a great deal with the right negotiating.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 AM

42 posts, read 131,494 times
I heard Tennessee is the new Florida because our climate is so much better.
Chances of hurricanes are nil and tornado's are hardly ever spotted east of Knoxville. West Tennessee is part of tornado alley.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:32 PM

69 posts, read 231,556 times
Hi Rocketman! I too am moving to TN from FL. In gathering information, I've learned that Powell TN has very good schools they were rated "best of the best" not sure where the rating comes from. Several people that work with my husband live in Powell and they love it. Our top 3 choices in the Knoxville area are Maryville, Farragut & Powell. We have heard that all 3 have good schools. I liked Farragut, it was very nice & suburban. The housing is pretty high, but you can find good deals, but not many. Maryville is pretty and seems to have great views & lots of rural property. I have not personally been through Powell yet. My husband is there this week. We are actually moving Monday. We will be renting until we find the perfect place. Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,717,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicaabc View Post
Hi Rocketman! I too am moving to TN from FL. In gathering information, I've learned that Powell TN has very good schools they were rated "best of the best" not sure where the rating comes from. Several people that work with my husband live in Powell and they love it. Our top 3 choices in the Knoxville area are Maryville, Farragut & Powell. We have heard that all 3 have good schools. I liked Farragut, it was very nice & suburban. The housing is pretty high, but you can find good deals, but not many. Maryville is pretty and seems to have great views & lots of rural property. I have not personally been through Powell yet. My husband is there this week. We are actually moving Monday. We will be renting until we find the perfect place. Hope this helps.
One thing to keep in mind is that the countryside around Maryville is not in the same school district as the city of Maryville. In other words, if you want to take advantage of Maryville's excellent schools (and they really are excellent) you have to live within Maryville's city limits. Otherwise, you're in the county school system which, while also good, isn't quite as well-funded or as notable as the city system.

Powell and Farragut are all part of the same school system, Knox County. There is absolutely no difference in curriculum between the two areas or any other area of Knox County. The only difference is in the socio-economic background of the students. Farragut is very yuppie, Powell is up-and-coming with lots of new subdivisions.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: my students here at U.T. who were educated in one of the less-popular areas of the county such as Carter, Gibbs, Fountain City, etc. are just as well prepared for the rigors of college education as those who were educated in posh Farragut.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,338,338 times
JMT makes a good point. My oldest just graduated from Maryville High School this past Spring (courtesy of our $2600.00 per year city taxes). He is attending the aerospace program at MTSU. He has been getting straight A's and the teachers are actually writing "Good" on his papers, etc. He tells me that other kids in his classes are getting much lower grades. Of course, my son absolutely loves MTSU and when he is motivated he does well. I am not dissing education anywhere else; but I am certainly endorsing Maryville City Schools. He seems to be well prepared so far.

Once the last child graduates in '09 we will try to sell our home to move to the county to avoid the city taxes. The county school zone is about two blocks from our house You do have to be careful about where you buy in Maryville. Most of the better mountain views are in the county and not the city. I am rambling now....

Old 10-23-2007, 06:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,868,558 times
Can you do an out of district transfer into the maryville schools?

Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 AM

9 posts, read 33,405 times
Powell Is a great area...and you will llike KNoville ..had to move to South Carolina..from FLordia.and allthough South Carolina is nice..no place like Tn..I hope you enjoy.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:47 PM

812 posts, read 1,665,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I don't know if it falls into a "transfer" status per say, but I do know that Maryville City does allow you to pay for a slot with priority based on certain criteria. IE Land owners get first priority, city employees (non resident) next, then a few other criteria with no status and money only being last. The main disadvantage is that transportation is not provided at all.

Here is a link to the forms:
Maryville City Schools - For Parents

Old 10-23-2007, 04:57 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,338,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They are phasing tuition paying students out. My son knows of a few students that are on "enrollment probation". Some parents have been told that if the students behavior doesn't improve they will not allow them to come back after Christmas break. MHS, and the entire school district, has become overcrowded, you can read all about it in the local newspaper. I have heard, but have no direct knowledge, that the same applies for academic deficiencies.

We receive all of our mail at The UPS Store which has an Alcoa address. We had to verify each year that we actually live in Maryville; the district is very keen on no "freeloaders". I actually know of a family that rents a house in the city for $600/month but do not live in it; they just use it for the address and the house sits empty. They live on the lake, in the county. They have several kids and say that this is cheaper for them to rent than to pay tuition. This is a perfectly legal loophole. I expect that residence requirements will be tightened up in the future; especially as the overcrowding becomes more of an issue.

This is not limited to Maryville. I work with two people that pay tuition for their children to go to the Alcoa City Schools; their children are zoned to go to Heritage High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville