Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM

30 posts, read 48,749 times

Advertisements

Do you think such thing exist in Knoxville? I'm really disappointed with our choice of neighborhood. It's one of the upscale neighborhoods in Knoxville. But it's been frustrating dealing with an unfair HOA which selectively enforces rules, and ridiculous neighbor complaints/comments. The HOA has been very uptight with us but very lenient with others.

Just wondering since I can easily be mistaken to be Mexican (I'm not). I wonder if mistaken race has anything to do with all this.

Is there any local law that says HOAs cannot treat a homeowner differently from other homeowners? Would a city/county rep care about a neighborhood making potential permanent residents feel unhappy or cause unpleasant experience that could then turn families away?

Sorry, this may just be a vent. I'm just frustrated and unhappy with our chosen neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Do elitism/racism exist in Knoxville? Jeez...I hope you didn't move somewhere based on the utopian fairytale notion that prejudice did not exist there...

And it's an HOA. Some people that run HOAs do a good job and are fair and open. Some run it like a concentration camp, because they never got elected class president in high school and now they're making up for lost time. If you got the latter, it may or may not be based on "racism"...more likely favoritism (people in charge's circle of friends get leniency, everyone else gets the shaft).

But without really knowing specifics, it's hard to judge from here.

Elected officials are probably not going to help you out much (unless they actually live in your neighborhood). If there is a law protecting you, you'll have to find a way to prove what they are doing is unfair (keep detailed reports -- keep any letters or recorded phone messages). Even then, it may be an uphill battle.

My suggestion would be to try to warm up to your neighbors/HOA people. Talk to them. Sometimes it's the lack of good communication itself that makes things seem unfair (you don't know if some of the neighbors they have been lenient with had a harder time in the past). It may be the unintentional prejudice against you being the "new" neighbors. Who knows? Be friendly, try to get to know them. If they know you on a personal level, they might not give you such a hard time. But if they're cold and it continues, you'll know something's up.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbymm View Post
potential permanent residents
? Are you a renter?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
? Are you a renter?
No. When I said permanent residents, I meant living in Knoxville for a loooong time. This is supposed to be our forever home. But I don't feel excited about the neighborhood anymore. It sounded great when I was doing my research on the neighborhood. Now, not so much.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Do elitism/racism exist in Knoxville? Jeez...I hope you didn't move somewhere based on the utopian fairytale notion that prejudice did not exist there...

And it's an HOA. Some people that run HOAs do a good job and are fair and open. Some run it like a concentration camp, because they never got elected class president in high school and now they're making up for lost time. If you got the latter, it may or may not be based on "racism"...more likely favoritism (people in charge's circle of friends get leniency, everyone else gets the shaft).

But without really knowing specifics, it's hard to judge from here.

Elected officials are probably not going to help you out much (unless they actually live in your neighborhood). If there is a law protecting you, you'll have to find a way to prove what they are doing is unfair (keep detailed reports -- keep any letters or recorded phone messages). Even then, it may be an uphill battle.

My suggestion would be to try to warm up to your neighbors/HOA people. Talk to them. Sometimes it's the lack of good communication itself that makes things seem unfair (you don't know if some of the neighbors they have been lenient with had a harder time in the past). It may be the unintentional prejudice against you being the "new" neighbors. Who knows? Be friendly, try to get to know them. If they know you on a personal level, they might not give you such a hard time. But if they're cold and it continues, you'll know something's up.
You're right. I guess I'm trying to make sense what may be causing all these unfairness and ridiculous complains. We have been very accommodating but they seem to keep picking on us.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbymm View Post
You're right. I guess I'm trying to make sense what may be causing all these unfairness and ridiculous complains. We have been very accommodating but they seem to keep picking on us.
Talk to them. Try to get an understanding of why you have so many complaints. Don't be defensive about it. Just see if you can talk face to face. Hopefully they're not the type that handles everything via letters and emails (no personal communication).

Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Ive never lived somewhere I had to deal with a HOA. I have always avoided it because of the types of stories like the one the OP has. It is not Knoxville, but the nature of snobby subdivisions filled with kiss ups and "keep up with the Jones" types. THere is no telling what they dont like, maybe your lawn is not up to snuff, or the car in your driveway is not to thier likeing. You may not be projecting the image they (HOA) want for thier subdivision. You could try to kiss up to them and live up to the expectations they have, but that is mentally exausting. In the end you will likely have to comply with thier demands, or put the house up for sale. Im sorry to hear youve encountered people like this here.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 PM

170 posts, read 347,604 times
Yes

Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Try living in Florida, home of the Nazi HOA retiree. I've never heard of a city or town being able to step in. Maybe it has happened somewhere, but I've never heard of it. Those things tend to be their own little fiefdom. If you can prove prejudice that would be one thing. But like you said, you are not actually a protected class, anyway. More than likely, unfortunately, it is an overzealous HOA board playing God and favorites. There is also their side of the story. You may not actually been singled out. You have no true idea what hell your neighbors may be facing as well. In any event, I can't stand HOAs. NashVols put it perfectly - as usual. They never got elected class president in high school, indeed! I often say that those things are run by the kid that got beat up in the boys' room in public school on a regular basis.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:23 PM

345 posts, read 922,202 times
I hate to say I agree with the negative comments about HOA's...but I do.

My sister lived in a very upscale subdivision, with an HOA, in both Ohio and in Charlotte, NC. They were both awful. When they finally moved a few years ago, to Chicago area, they decided they were finished with HOA's and found a home in just a plain old neighborhood.

HOA's have rules and regulations, that are above and beyond the law. And sad to say, when you bought your home, you bound yourself to those rules.

The only way out and around them is to move; which you probably don't want to do, but I certainly wouldn't blame you.

The company I work for serves several HOA's. Trust me, I've dealt with their "presidents" on billing issues and I have yet to talk to one who is pleasant and/or polite.

I do feel for you because you are stuck.

Perhaps you can obtain a copy of the HOA rules and regulations and read it carefully. See what may benefit you in regards to your concerns and issues.

Irregardless of that, I am sincerely sorry you are dealing with racism. Just pathetic in my opinion. My husband is part American Indian and we've dealt with racism on more than one occasion. Now he just doesn't tell people of his heritage, so he can avoid it...and that's just plain sad. Why should any person be made to feel ashamed of what they are or where they came from? OK, I'm on my soapbox and I'll step off....sorry about that.

I'm sorry I can't be more help to you...but like I suggest, get a copy of the rules and regulations and read them carefully. You may be able to use something to YOUR benefit.

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville