Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:01 AM

6 posts, read 25,692 times

Advertisements

In hopes of finding someone with knowledge about the current HVAC job market in the Jefferson County/Sevier County area...

To give some background to see if there are decent options that may match my experience I'll submit the following.

Currently I work in the Middle Tennessee area with 20 years experience in the HVAC field. About half that time in commercial. I'm the supervisor of a 15 man dept. that services everything from window units to 300 ton chillers.

Anyway, I maybe in a position that I'll be looking for work in that area and am curious if anyone can give some insight.

Thanks for your help,
Frostfree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM

190 posts, read 743,016 times
Default HVAC companies

Our ancient condenser is totally frozen and must be replaced. I was wondering if any of you would like to recommend a company that you've dealt with before? I like to get 3 or so quotes so the more responses the better.
I must say that so far I'm very happy with the weather here. Since the AC is broken it's nice that we are still able to keep the inside at 80 degrees or less--so far.
And if it matters we are thinking of getting a Trane condenser.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
If it's really old, consider replacing the whole thing through TVA's Energy Right program.
energy right: Heat Pumps (http://www.energyright.com/heatpump/index.htm - broken link)

I did. It's a low-interest loan to replace an old system with an energy efficient heat pump. The payment gets added to your electric bill.
I had it done two years ago and my KUB bill -- electricity plus loan payment -- runs $10 to $30 a month less than the electric bill alone was with the old system. So it actually saves me money every month.
You have to apply to KUB and use their list of approved companies to get several quotes. After it's installed, TVA comes out and inspects the whole thing to make sure it's correctly installed and working right. Then TVA pays the company.
It's a great program. Plus you can get a tax rebate on the new system.
I used City Heating and Air for the installation. I was very pleased with them and would recommend them.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:07 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
I have had great experiences with R&M Climate Control.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:18 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,639 times
MK Mechanical

call Chris Hurley at 865.560.8835

Old 06-14-2008, 08:42 AM

125 posts, read 414,241 times
R & M Climate Control is good and one of their former employees, a very nice guy named Alan Mcclancy started his own company a few years ago. He does our HVAC for both our home and a couple of rentals. JNS Mechanical 591-9691 or 859-0654. Good guy, good work.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:44 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
For the Maryville area I can recommend Stanley Best and Company and I cannot recommend Roger Newman and Company. I have personal experience with both companies from maintenance, installation of new equipment and troubeshooting standpoints.

And one more thing, Stanley Best is slightly more expensive. However, you get what you pay for and when you have to have work re-done one saves in the long run.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 15,930 times
Rob Grainger of Tenn Air 1. 865-740-2764. Excellent work and he is also State Licensed. This man keeps his word about when he will be there and does not overcharge for what he does. Honest and reliable. I have used him for the past 8 yrs+ in my new construction and personal homes. I am a licensed contractor and I value and highly recommend Rob.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 PM

396 posts, read 1,310,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
If it's really old, consider replacing the whole thing through TVA's Energy Right program.
energy right: Heat Pumps (http://www.energyright.com/heatpump/index.htm - broken link)

I did. It's a low-interest loan to replace an old system with an energy efficient heat pump. The payment gets added to your electric bill.
I had it done two years ago and my KUB bill -- electricity plus loan payment -- runs $10 to $30 a month less than the electric bill alone was with the old system. So it actually saves me money every month.
You have to apply to KUB and use their list of approved companies to get several quotes. After it's installed, TVA comes out and inspects the whole thing to make sure it's correctly installed and working right. Then TVA pays the company.
It's a great program. Plus you can get a tax rebate on the new system.
I used City Heating and Air for the installation. I was very pleased with them and would recommend them.
What great information Knoxgarden! I'm all over it!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,294 times
I can tell you who not to use. Roger L. Newman is the absolute worst. Once you sign a contract you go to the bottom of the list to get serviced as they take any potential new customers in front of you. I have been waiting almost a year for my HVAC to be installed. I paid them for the equipment the day they delivered, big money, and then they didn't show up to install the equipment. Called to ask why and I was told their people were pulled off the job to 'service other customers'. As long as I had been waiting for my equipment, I should have been at the top of their list to take care of. If my experience is any kind of indication of what you might too experience, one might want to beware. I sure wish that I had. I keep hearing good things about Stanley Best heating and air. Sure wish I had called them!!!!!! All I can say is Beware. I have never dealt with such an unprofessional 'so called' business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville