Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,148 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are getting ready to both reire soon from the military.......our research for good schools and mild climate has led us to look in the knoxville area. Any recommendations on suburbs? My wife wants to be close to neighbors and an area where she can walk. Currently we live on a couple of acres in the foothills of palomar mountain, North county San Diego..... and she feels we live to far away from others.....she wants more of a community feel where she can meet people. When we move our oldest will be just starting H.S. and our youngest will be going into 7th grade. (both great students academically and are into Swimming(oldest)/Dive (youngest) and tennis.

My wife and I plan to visit at the end of this month. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Housing budget up to $900,000.

Thanks,

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM

394 posts, read 794,558 times
Retired here from DC. If you are used to and want "big city" amenities (shopping movie theaters etc) you'll probably like west knox the best IMO.

You can search the public MLS site to see what you can get for your money: Find Homes By Area I found 50 listing in the Farragut/Northshore area in the 600-850K range. Large houses, several lake front if that interests you. You can refine your search in many different ways.

There have been numerous school discussions here. Use the search function and you'll find many threads.

Get hooked up with a local real estate agent to show you around during your visit. You will be surprised at how far out in the country you will be in a 30 minute drive.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,148 times
Thanks DaveC20853,

Much appreciated. Any subdivisions or Realtor's that you would recommend?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Our climate is mild but bear in mind that it is nowhere near as mild as San Diego. Also, it is very humid here. Some Californians come here and really love it, others don't care for the weather.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
You are getting some great advice here. I just wanted to add that Bearden High School is known for their great swimming and diving program.

Good luck with your search and congrats on the retirements.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:51 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,314 times
Welcome Mark and as poster stated, Bearden and Farragut have great swimming programs and both of ours, son and daughter, both swam for Farragut and if wants to go full time, then Pilot and Oak Ridge have great programs. We have used both and many neighborhoods will offer great choices for you. Whittington Creek, Mallard Bay, Montgomery Cove, Covered Bridge and so many more. Good Luck!

Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,314 times
Forgot, most schools, especially Bearden and Farragut, have good sports programs, and tennis!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:26 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Also wanted to add, my friend and her husband are both anesthesiologists (she is part time) and live in Sequoyah Hills. Their son, same age range as yours, is also into sports. They are active in the country club there and lead an active life in that community. They absolutely love it there and all are thriving. Plenty of gorgeous homes in that area. That neighborhood springs off of Cherokee Blvd. Let me know if I can help further.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:23 AM

38 posts, read 161,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy DMD View Post

My wife and I plan to visit at the end of this month. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Housing budget up to $900,000.

Thanks,

Mark
Welcome to Tennessee!

As a native Californian (Southern), I appreciate my recent decision to relocate to E. Tennessee, almost daily! LOL!

Having been through a 3-year exercise of searching for a new home in the recent past, I used this site to get answers to questions that I'm nearly certain I could not have gotten anyplace else. You will get tons of advice, if you want it, and I can't remember being unable to get an answer to any question.

I will add my two cents.

I'm not sure how long you lived in greater San Diego, or the extent of your real-estate savvy, but many of us from California are unfamiliar with, and, sorry to say, quite ignorant about non-Southern-California housing, especially when it comes to prices.

When I read your price ceiling ($900K), and noticed you are a retiring military family, I immediately thought to myself that you might be establishing your price ceiling based on a Southern-California-housing mindset. Perhaps you aren't, but that was my first impression.

Based on your needs / desires, and your situation with two children, in my humble opinion, you can probably satisfy most of your needs / desires with a home costing $350K to $550K. If you don't need to live in an exclusive area (e.g., Farragut), or you would be amenable to living in a smaller city within 60 minutes of Knoxville, you can do even BETTER!

Most retiring military families, especially those with children approaching college age, would appreciate spending much less on housing, and perhaps using the saved funds to pay for other needs and future requirements (e.g., college tuition, maximizing your IRA or Thrift Savings contributions, etc.).

Have fun with your search, and GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldly View Post
Based on your needs / desires, and your situation with two children, in my humble opinion, you can probably satisfy most of your needs / desires with a home costing $350K to $550K. If you don't need to live in an exclusive area (e.g., Farragut), or you would be amenable to living in a smaller city within 60 minutes of Knoxville, you can do even BETTER!
There are plenty of "exclusive" places in Knoxville, other than Farragut. As Beretta mentioned, Sequoyah Hills is stunningly beautiful and has a wonderful community feel. It can be very old money but equally welcoming. Other suggestions would be to consider around Westland or communities such as Kensington.

I fear that if you get 60 minutes out of Knoxville the schools will not be as good at all. They still have children that need to graduate. I wouldn't be looking for bargain basement at this point. I'm a single mom and I made sure I positioned my 7th grader within the center of the communities that I just named. And as an added bonus, if they eventually decide to attend UT they will know a lot of their fellow classmates. And if they don't, at least they will be prepared for college.

I really wish you had addressed the difference in the weather. From what I understand, the weather is so much different than Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville