Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:54 AM

21 posts, read 75,688 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,
I'm getting ready to move to the Knoxville area and my mother, who is from Poland, will be following shortly after and she was wondering if there is a Polish Deli there, or a Polish community.

Myself, I don't really care one way or the other since I was born in the states and make friends with whoever, but those older polish folk are big on community. So just checking for her sake.

Saw a thread from like 2009 by Sebtec who was talking about possibly opening a polish deli, don't know if that ever happened.

Thanks guys,
Dom

Last edited by dominicus; 05-02-2013 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: misspelled a words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
My grandparents are from Poland. I come from an area in Mass that had a large Polish population.

The answer to both of your questions is no. There is a restaurant in Oak Ridge that sells some Polish food but that is all I've been able to find.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:44 PM

Man that really sucks.

I'm moving there from Chicago, where I hear Polish people still speaking polish just about everywhere I go, it's like mini-poland here, but Illinois in general really sucks with taxes, city stickers, crime, cost of living.

Yeah that's too bad about no Deli. I wonder if someone would open up a Polish Deli if it would do good in knoxville. Are there any Polish in general there?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 PM

383 posts, read 918,710 times
This area could really use a place that did some fresh pierogies, cabbage rolls, halushka, hunters stew, kielbasa, etc, etc - I order online or make them myself but it would be great to have a local place that does some old world Polish chow.

Just talking about it makes me want to hit the kitchen to knock out some cabbage rolls and halushka.

How old is your Mother? Maybe she could hook us up..

Old 05-02-2013, 02:30 PM

I'm 34, Mother is 58, and Grandmother is also coming along and will be there eventually and she's 80

Grandma is super old-school polish, used to snap the chicken heads off and de-feather the chickens, she would hide all her siblings in the Bassment when the Nazi Soldiors invaded the country and were killing people door to door. 80 year old built like a tank. Fell down some stairs recently and just got back up and kept going like no big deal, I swear that generation is built like tanks!!!!

But yah she would be the one to do all the old-school recipes if I were to open up a spot. I'm just thinking about all the complications and investment money that it would cost to do a small Euro Deli/Bakery and if there is enough demand to do something like that there

Old 05-02-2013, 02:55 PM

383 posts, read 918,710 times
Oh yeah...Grandma is the real deal then (taking nothing from Mom of course) - my Grandma is in her 90's and still tough as nails (old Irish) and twice as mean.

Quite frankly I don't know if this town would support a really good Polish deli. I know it could (population and all) but that's a different issue.

Speaking for myself, I would love to have a good Polish place where I could get any, all, and plus of the food products I mentioned above. Whenever I get on the road to places like Pittsburgh, I always make sure my route includes some good stops to pick up some fresh Polish products.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:47 PM

148 posts, read 305,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljay42 View Post
This area could really use a place that did some fresh pierogies, cabbage rolls, halushka, hunters stew, kielbasa, etc, etc - I order online or make them myself but it would be great to have a local place that does some old world Polish chow.

Just talking about it makes me want to hit the kitchen to knock out some cabbage rolls and halushka.

How old is your Mother? Maybe she could hook us up..

Well there are places in Pittsburgh area that does Plerogies deliveries and Kielbasa you just made me hungry....

Old 05-03-2013, 05:07 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,820,345 times
There's a Polish Festival tonight on Market Square! I will try to get info from the vendors who live here.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 PM

345 posts, read 921,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
There's a Polish Festival tonight on Market Square! I will try to get info from the vendors who live here.
I saw that in the paper, let us know how it is.

I could so go for cabbage rolls. My mom used to make them when I was a kid and we'd eat them until our stomachs hurt from being so full! LOL! Wonder if someone will have those there at the festival?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Yes please do get some info back. That'd be great to see if there are more poles there with authentic cuisine and a community!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville