Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 AM

47 posts, read 85,247 times

Advertisements

Bristol park is quite nice but somewhat of a tightly packed urban type apts. On the other hand, rolling hills are old housing with more of a quiet rural settings..
centennial park is also another good one. A few minutes drive from Oak ridge, Forrest ridge is a beautiful complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saunder View Post
Ben do you know anything about them? We require 3 bedrooms and pet friendly. Just one dog.
Don't go to the Manhattan.

Bristol Park and Tara Hills are in the same general Emory Valley Rd area.

There are 3 bedroom apartments at Bristol Park.

Are you moving with a washer/dryer? There are hook ups inside the Bristol park apartments but I think Tara Hills has a laundry room. The area around Emory Valley Road to the Lake and then over to the Oak Ridge Turnpike has nice houses in a decent area. BP allows dogs but there may be a breed restriction or size restriction.

There is a retiree program in Oak Ridge called ORICL if you are interested. Classes are held at the Community College. One entrance is just around the corner from Bristol Park. There are 3 semesters and it costs $100 for the year. You can take 5 classes each semester and park in the faculty lot which is near the rooms. If the classes aren't filled, you can take more than 5. The summer semester is just about to start. The Fall semester semester starts usually in the beginning of October. The summer usually has more lightweight courses than Fall and Winter primarily (I think) because the people that volunteer to teach from various occupations are on vacation in the summer. There's no homework and the classes are mostly lectures with presentations. There are also trips. Here's the summer catalogue:

http://www.roanestate.edu/webfolders...ltoPrinter.pdf

Last edited by LauraC; 06-01-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 AM

68 posts, read 148,772 times
Thanks Laura. I have an English Bulldog so breed restrictions should not be an issue. My washer and dryer are very old so I don't think I'd be inclined to haul them down there. Ill just get new ones. Funny you should mention school. I earned a masters degree because it helped my career. I have long considered going back to school for something I am actually interested in lol! I will be a young retiree. (54) so able to enjoy a wide variety of activities.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saunder View Post
Thanks Laura. I have an English Bulldog so breed restrictions should not be an issue. My washer and dryer are very old so I don't think I'd be inclined to haul them down there. Ill just get new ones. Funny you should mention school. I earned a masters degree because it helped my career. I have long considered going back to school for something I am actually interested in lol! I will be a young retiree. (54) so able to enjoy a wide variety of activities.
The program is always looking for volunteer instructors with an expertise, too. The lecturers typically present along with a PowerPoint or some type of slideshow and the lecturers determine how many sessions are needed for what they plan to teach. We get former and current professors, former teachers, people from the National Lab, people from Y-12 (nukes), people in business or government and some pros and serious hobbyists. Just telling you in case you see yourself teaching. There is no homework except maybe in a camera class or art class or writing class or computer class (examples) meaning besides preparing for the class, the instructor has no work doing things like reading reports or marking papers. The lecturers take questions.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 AM

13 posts, read 18,868 times
I live in Oak Ridge. What price range are you looking for? I wouldn't move in Manhatten Apts for anything. The location is wonderful, but they are a dump. If your price range is around $800 a mth, I would take a look at Bristol Park for sure. Or Centennial Village. They are both brand new and really nice! Most of the apartment complexes in Oak Ridge are outdated and old, with the exception of those 2. You can find rental houses like crazy here. Pro is that the rent is always affordable, con is that we have VERY few newer houses. Most everything here was built in the 50's and is outdated.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 AM

68 posts, read 148,772 times
800 per month is not a problem. But as I've come to learn you can actually rent houses there in that price range. Here you pay anywhere from 1300 to 2000 per month for a 3 bedroom home depending on how deluxe it is. I would much prefer to rent a house for more privacy. The whole apartment idea was strictly a temporary transition plan. Hopefully we will not have to go that route

Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
You can rent a house for that amount in the Oak Ridge area. If you prefer a single family home over an apartment there are certainly options in that price range. A craigslist search brought several different homes up.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:08 AM

153 posts, read 689,402 times
Also, this is a map of the greenways in Oak Ridge if that is your sort of thing:
Greenways Oak Ridge Google map

Last edited by JMT; 06-05-2013 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Posting specific realtor web sites is not allowed.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:09 PM

13 posts, read 18,868 times
There is a rental property in my neighborhood that has been remodeled. It is about 1,100 sq ft, 3 br, 1 ba and I believe they are asking $750 for it. They also have it listed for sale. I suppose they are willing to do either. It's a cute little house though. 136 Athens Rd, Oak Ridge, TN 37830 - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville