Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,782 times

Advertisements

After living in Knoxville for 10 years, I moved to Sevierville and am soon moving to Dandridge. I have loved living in Sevier County and have found it to be a very user friendly area with every convenience one could possibly need. The Parkway traffic can be very annoying in high tourist season but a few minutes of map study reveals several back routes. The 35 mph speed limit on Hwy 66 is really the bigger annoyance and there seems to be no work around for that. I've often felt that heavy enforcement of that speed limit on that road tends to leave many of our tourist visitors with a very bad memory of their visit to Sevier County and discourage them from wanting to come back here again. The taxes and fees in Sevier County are very reasonable and I will sure miss that when I move to Jefferson County. Overall, this area of East Tennessee is likely the most beautiful in the state of TN. I was raised in Middle TN (Nashville) but would never opt to go back there. I feel the beauty here is truly a blessing from God to those lucky enough to live here.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
LWe are moving to Sevierville Tn. We love it there. We have friends that live there they love it ! They go to Knoxville every week for something and say it's a 45 min to 1 hr drive not bad at all. They love the Mountain life and all the people. Life is slower there which is what we want. If you want Crazy you can find it! If you want peaceful you can find that too! We love. It there I never want to leave when I go!

Old 08-13-2016, 12:47 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,005 times
DH and I moved to Sevierville about 2 months ago and we love it. There are definite work arounds with the traffic and depending on where you go in Knoxville it's about 25 to 40 minutes...depending on where you live in Sevierville as well. There are ways to avoid 66 when needed. It's got all the major conveniences and the taxes and car registration, etc are nothing compared to every other place I've lived. And the people are crazy friendly. Can't imagine wanting to move any time soon.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
DH and I moved to Sevierville about 2 months ago and we love it. There are definite work arounds with the traffic and depending on where you go in Knoxville it's about 25 to 40 minutes...depending on where you live in Sevierville as well. There are ways to avoid 66 when needed. It's got all the major conveniences and the taxes and car registration, etc are nothing compared to every other place I've lived. And the people are crazy friendly. Can't imagine wanting to move any time soon.
I often wonder about people that move to Sevier County that love it. If they were to move to somewhere like Maryville or the outskirts of Knoxville, would they love it even more? Same friendly people, same great prices (actually lower for most things like gas, groceries), better schools, but no tourists. Just a rhetorical question.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:51 PM

24 posts, read 58,101 times
LMAO - I have a Sevierville address.

Quote:
I don't know how people live there and tolerate that traffic.
To "tolerate" (avoid) the traffic, one must learn the back roads, plan ahead to leave early, breathe deeply, resist honking the horn, smile, wave and pray. The other day, I had a 1:00 p.m. appointment exactly 5 miles from (the area around Lowes/ Home Depot to the Primary School off Veterans Pkwy) - it took 35 minutes to get there. (NOT an exaggeration.)

Most tourists going to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg are directed to take Interstate 40, to Hwy 66, Winfield Dunn Parkway. The other options are to come in on Chapman Hwy or from I-40 go to the Dandridge exit or Newport. Those tourists who come here year after year learn "alternate routes". And it is "tourist season" year around due to various celebrations and promotions.

I figure that the folks who are on the main routes must all be taking antihistamines for their allergies, because even Tennessee license plates drive stupidly. The design of the traffic flow benefits business owners so that isn't likely to improve.

Quote:
Anyhow, I'm thinking about working in Knoxville and commuting Mon-Fri from the Gatlinburg area.
I'd say that's pretty crazy. This traffic isn't normal commuter traffic. It's folks who are "on vacation" (brains too) sitting, sitting, not moving at a light turned green, getting behind a car exiting a business that insists on making a left turn into heavy traffic, or being seventh in line in a turn lane as you watch the stoplight turn green, then red cycle three times - and there's no movement - and the stoplight only allows about five cars to go before it turns red again, more folks driving like they can't function on their meds (those who will do any crazy,irresponsible thing), plus confused tourists turning left from a right-turn-only lane.

I'm reaching for a cocktail as I write this - it is stressful.

Last edited by adanVdo; 08-16-2016 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: to add details to clarify

Old 08-17-2016, 12:47 AM

212 posts, read 164,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanVdo View Post
LMAO - I have a Sevierville address.

To "tolerate" (avoid) the traffic, one must learn the back roads, plan ahead to leave early, breathe deeply, resist honking the horn, smile, wave and pray. The other day, I had a 1:00 p.m. appointment exactly 5 miles from (the area around Lowes/ Home Depot to the Primary School off Veterans Pkwy) - it took 35 minutes to get there. (NOT an exaggeration.)

Most tourists going to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg are directed to take Interstate 40, to Hwy 66, Winfield Dunn Parkway. The other options are to come in on Chapman Hwy or from I-40 go to the Dandridge exit or Newport. Those tourists who come here year after year learn "alternate routes". And it is "tourist season" year around due to various celebrations and promotions.

I figure that the folks who are on the main routes must all be taking antihistamines for their allergies, because even Tennessee license plates drive stupidly. The design of the traffic flow benefits business owners so that isn't likely to improve.

I'd say that's pretty crazy. This traffic isn't normal commuter traffic. It's folks who are "on vacation" (brains too) sitting, sitting, not moving at a light turned green, getting behind a car exiting a business that insists on making a left turn into heavy traffic, or being seventh in line in a turn lane as you watch the stoplight turn green, then red cycle three times - and there's no movement - and the stoplight only allows about five cars to go before it turns red again, more folks driving like they can't function on their meds (those who will do any crazy,irresponsible thing), plus confused tourists turning left from a right-turn-only lane.

I'm reaching for a cocktail as I write this - it is stressful.

I went on vacation down there some years back, and I didn't think it was bad at all driving around there! Even being a tourist, I even learned alternate routes pretty quickly. If you find that stressful, try driving in my neck of the woods, Chicago...you want stressful! Some of the twisty, wind-y roads I wasn't used to, or driving the foothills parkways at night, whew! I pulled it off pretty well for a "city boy", my rental car was a real slug, that didn't exactly help! We went up in the Smokies, and my wife and I both thought the same exact thing, this IS God's Country! No wonder people are moving in like crazy!

Old 08-17-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister68 View Post
I went on vacation down there some years back, and I didn't think it was bad at all driving around there! Even being a tourist, I even learned alternate routes pretty quickly. If you find that stressful, try driving in my neck of the woods, Chicago...you want stressful! Some of the twisty, wind-y roads I wasn't used to, or driving the foothills parkways at night, whew! I pulled it off pretty well for a "city boy", my rental car was a real slug, that didn't exactly help! We went up in the Smokies, and my wife and I both thought the same exact thing, this IS God's Country! No wonder people are moving in like crazy!
This is a typical tourist response. You went on vacation there and your experience is typical? Come on now.

Regarding the comparison to Chicago, is that a thing with Midwesterners? On the Fort Myers, FL forum I'd see a lot of "Well, the crime is worse in _________" Insert Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, etc.The point is, why put yourself through that, just because you liked a tourist trap?

Where we choose to live should never be based on a vacation. I grew up next to a tourist town - down the street, actually - and lived in a couple of tourist areas, although I didn't go on vacation there, came for other reasons. Living in a tourist area often means, higher prices, less selection, traffic and inconvenience. Not only that, but the good jobs are going to be very far away. Why put yourself through that? Sevier County does not have a lock on God's country.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:16 PM

212 posts, read 164,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This is a typical tourist response. You went on vacation there and your experience is typical? Come on now.

Regarding the comparison to Chicago, is that a thing with Midwesterners? On the Fort Myers, FL forum I'd see a lot of "Well, the crime is worse in _________" Insert Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, etc.The point is, why put yourself through that, just because you liked a tourist trap?

Where we choose to live should never be based on a vacation. I grew up next to a tourist town - down the street, actually - and lived in a couple of tourist areas, although I didn't go on vacation there, came for other reasons. Living in a tourist area often means, higher prices, less selection, traffic and inconvenience. Not only that, but the good jobs are going to be very far away. Why put yourself through that? Sevier County does not have a lock on God's country.

Not really following your message? A thing with Midwesterners? Crime is worse? Tourist trap? Lock on God's Country? Be glad you have "tourists" down there to contribute to your economy! SMH!

Old 08-21-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister68 View Post
Not really following your message? A thing with Midwesterners? Crime is worse? Tourist trap? Lock on God's Country? Be glad you have "tourists" down there to contribute to your economy! SMH!
Actually, thank God I don't live anywhere near that tourist trap, but you are more than welcome to live there.

Oh, and I didn't say crime was worst there. You need to go back and read the post. Or don't.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 PM

148 posts, read 305,306 times
I been reading this thread and it surprises me a bit. Sevier County is MORE Piegon Forge and Gatlinburg....They are only in the small southern part of the county right next to the Smoky Mountains. While I admit it does a lot for Seiver County tax and job wise. Hower with Sevier County being about in the top 10 in size, its more than just a tourist haven..... Its very rural and knowing the back and country roads you will miss the spuratic bumper to bumper traffic. Most of that traffic is on 66 and on certain times of the day. 95,000 plus people live in Seiver County, someone must like it....... I live the county above it in Jefferson County and do not have any problems driving through Sevier County..... Its just what you want, and expect. some will like it and some will not........ Basically all I am saying, there is more to Sevier County than 66 going into Piegon Forge and Gatlinburgh......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville