Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

Our mayor has this up on her Facebook page, today. It's a great article about Knoxville in Atlanta Magazine.

Quote:
Since 1982, K-town has been quietly turning its downtown warehouses into hipster bars and boutiques, repurposing its historic buildings, and cultivating its Appalachian roots. It was local before local was cool, and the national media, from the New York Times to Garden & Gun, have taken notice.
It's also has great recommendations for those that are visiting our fair city. A lot of people are looking for an affordable place to stay when visiting but really, if I were to suggest the perfect place to stay while immersing oneself in the quintessential Knoxville experience it is at the Oliver Hotel. Atlanta Magazine clearly agrees and I concur with their other suggestions as well.

Great little read:

Get away to Knoxville - Travel - Atlanta Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 AM

82 posts, read 167,313 times
Just read the article. Good read.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
But watch out, articles like that may start the hype snow-balling, and then it all goes to heck :P.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
But watch out, articles like that may start the hype snow-balling, and then it all goes to heck :P.
True. It's one reason I'm going to be scaling back on here. But this is really just a travel guide for people in Atlanta. For places like the NYTs, there are so many die-hard elitists that are convinced that we are all wearing overalls and watching Hee Haw that no amount of convincing will ever change their minds. And that's a good thing.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
For places like the NYTs, there are so many die-hard elitists that are convinced that we are all wearing overalls and watching Hee Haw that no amount of convincing will ever change their minds. And that's a good thing.
Yup, stereotypes can be used to an advantage .

The last time I was in Knoxville was in....1982? Whenever the World Fair was there, and I am curious to see how it has changed since then, I will have to make my way back through there at some time. It was 'on the way' to a camping trip in the Smokey Mountains, and all told, it was a very memorable trip. Not in the least due to some flooding while we were camping, but 'adversity' is often more entertaining in hind-sight.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 PM

82 posts, read 167,313 times
And hey...what's wrong with Hee Haw?

Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
It's the beginning of the end. Be prepared for herds of pretentious types to descend on your town like acid rain and declare that they have 'discovered' this town of 'Knoxville.' Once it gets started, more big city press will take notice at what is happening, and then credit all of it to the outsiders moving in, and claim that your food, art, and music scene is "new" and did not exist 5 years ago.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The last time I was in Knoxville was in....1982? Whenever the World Fair was there, and I am curious to see how it has changed since then,
I bet you don't even recognize the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Daddy View Post
And hey...what's wrong with Hee Haw?
Nothing, but the final episode aired over 20 years ago. The way people talk up there you would think it was still going strong and we all have our eyes peeled to the tv set.

Heck, a woman on the Conn. forum recently said that I am probably confused about the quality of education in Knoxville. Even though I'm a product of northeastern schools, as is my adult childre. She said that bible stories are taught here in place of biology. She's from Alabama, lives in Conn. and said that is what they taught her and Tennessee is worse. And the woman appears to be in her 20s. True story.

People believe what they want to believe and you know what? That's okay. As it is, there are far too many people downtown that are walking around with an attitude. I can already see things changing. In a very short period of time the downtown went from being dead, to hopping with activity, to unfriendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
It's the beginning of the end. Be prepared for herds of pretentious types to descend on your town like acid rain and declare that they have 'discovered' this town of 'Knoxville.' Once it gets started, more big city press will take notice at what is happening, and then credit all of it to the outsiders moving in, and claim that your food, art, and music scene is "new" and did not exist 5 years ago.
As long as we don't get one of those fancy network tv shows that you have over there. You all are so screwed.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Care to hint who was unfriendly? I picked that up at one restaurant a couple years back but maybe the employee was having a bad day.

I can see where being overrun with tourists/transplants can make one grumpy - thank goodness that hasn't happened too bad.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Care to hint who was unfriendly? I picked that up at one restaurant a couple years back but maybe the employee was having a bad day.

I can see where being overrun with tourists/transplants can make one grumpy - thank goodness that hasn't happened too bad.
I've never met any downtown employees that are unfriendly. I mean the tourists/transplants. You can easily spot them because they don't make eye contact and generally act like other humans - and sometimes dogs! - are their personal kryptonite. God forbid if you smile or say "hello" to them. There are enough of them downtown now to often make it uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville