U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-11-2007, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,293 times
Default Looking for the best/cheapest areas outside of Knoxville

I apologize if this was posted before. I searched through pages and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. A friend is relocating to the Knoxville area, and is interested in areas outside of Knoxville. Say 15-20 minutes outside of the city. An area that is reasonable as far rent, etc and isn't drug ridden.
I know drugs are everywhere, I'm not looking for the impossible. Just a place where you don't see drug activity everywhere you look?

Any suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 10:41 PM

6 posts, read 9,720 times
Default area to live

there are lots of great places to live outside of k-ville. Twenty minutes outside knoxville will darn near get you in the boonies. Your pal will have no problem finding a place. It would be best to take a short visit and drive around a bit to see with your own eyes. Are they going to be working in knoxville or just outside knoxville? knoxville is pretty spread out and becomes rural relatively rapid depending what direction you go.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,293 times
Yes working in Knoxville. I live about an hour from Knoxville, but must admit my trips there have been limited to shopping or other tasks. I haven't really ever drove around there, with the exception of the many times I've become lost ..lol I would like to find him a nice quiet area, but really think sometimes an area can be what you "make" of it. Considering he is expected to be working alot, his time at home will be limited anyway. Basically I just dont want to send him to an area that is terribly bad.
I'll be making several trips to Knoxville, so I will be able to look around. But any tips on what areas I should avoid, would be very helpful.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 AM

8,988 posts, read 20,930,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_angel5 View Post
Yes working in Knoxville. I live about an hour from Knoxville, but must admit my trips there have been limited to shopping or other tasks. I haven't really ever drove around there, with the exception of the many times I've become lost ..lol I would like to find him a nice quiet area, but really think sometimes an area can be what you "make" of it. Considering he is expected to be working alot, his time at home will be limited anyway. Basically I just dont want to send him to an area that is terribly bad.
I'll be making several trips to Knoxville, so I will be able to look around. But any tips on what areas I should avoid, would be very helpful.
You're right, it's easy to get lost in Knoxville!

In what part of town is your husband going to be working? Knoxville covers 100 square miles. If he's going to be working in West Knox, you probably don't want to live in East Knox County, and vice-versa.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:57 AM

6,758 posts, read 6,925,784 times
Where are they moving from? If they are moving from a massive city and just want a slightly slower pace, they will probably be happy in the Knoxville city limits. I moved here from Dallas and we are on the Farragut/Knoxville boundary. Its a lot slower and laid back, while being 10-15 minutes from most anywhere in town.

If your friend is looking for RURAL, I would suggest the Powell/Clinton/Norris area, or possibly between Lenoir City and Loudon. The Powell area and Lenoir City are both growing though, so 5-10 years from now they will lose their rural appeal.

While me and my wife enjoy the slower pace of Knoxville, we really want our home to be RURAL in every way. More than 3 acres, with our surrounding neighbors having more than 3 acres, and far enough out that we are safe from urban sprawl for at least 10 years. We are looking between Loudon and Athens, most likely around Sweetwater. But that is more of a 45 minute drive to Knoxville, so either you need to find work in a smaller area which can be challenging, or you will have to get used to a long commute.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:45 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,640,302 times
tnbound, I'm sorry, I don't remember if you've got school-age kids involved, but if so, research the schools very closely; Sweetwater school is very, very antiquated. (Wayyyy past the point of that "rural school" appeal. Seriously outdated.)

There are articles in the local paper about it; I can get them if you're interested...just let me know!

Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 AM

No kids yet. We aren't as worried about the school systems as some with kids might be. So that is an issue some should consider if they have kids. The way me and my wife feel, we don't have kids and are planning to wait 3 more years before having any. Then it will be 7 years until they would be school aged. We wouldn't mind either a private school or home school. But if we provide the right environment and encourage their learning AWAY from school, it won't be such a big deal if the schools aren't good. We fully intend to rely on ourselves to guide our children's education vs. sending them off to the school and expecting them to handle everything for us.

BTW, I grew up in small town MS, and attended a very poorly rated school that had very few resources and niceties. I turned out just fine.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 AM

Please don't feel like I'm judging schools that are poorly rated...I think a lot of a child's education relies on the parents, regardless of quality of resources and niceties!

I just know what I've heard about Sweetwater school which is that they don't even have the bare minimum (i.e. books in the library covered with dust, the most recent encyclopedia refers to the cold war). Loudon high school had to delay its opening because the air conditioners (yes, in-the-window units) weren't working and it was 102 degrees outside. To me, those are basics, kwim?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 AM

No problem, I wasn't taking it as a negative, just as something that is a bigger deal to some people than others. Honestly, I think its admirable for parents to put school quality high on their list of priorities. But me and my wife really want to live well out in a rural area, and have simply come to face that the school systems will likely be not so great in comparison to us staying in the city. So we've come up with other ideas to deal with those challenges without having to give up on our dreams of living on 5+ acres in a quiet area. We feel that there are a lot of benefits for a child raised in a rural setting that can't be found in the city, especially if I am succesful with my gardening ventures, it would be a joy to share a huge gardening business and all that goes with it with our children.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:39 AM

Absolutely, I'm right there with ya!

Also, if you look at the tax benefits...there are low taxes in TN, but that can mean there's not a lot of luxury paid for by the government.

But...I'm a big fan of less govt!

We'll be with Kingston Schools which are on the "okay" side (not Maryville, not Sweetwater lol). And I intend to pick up the slack by actually having the TIME to slow down and spend however long my son needs, to help him grasp what he's learning at school.

Coming from NJ, having that sort of pace is really unthinkable. Here if your child struggles, you hire a tutor to take care of that...or put the kid in special ed since our $9,000 a year taxes are paying for it anyway.

The accountability falls squarely OFF the shoulders of the parents here, and it's simply wrong. We are responsible for assisting in our children's learning process, not the government! [steps off soapbox]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville