Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM

345 posts, read 916,738 times

Advertisements

I hate to say this because knowing my luck, they'll just start showing up, but we hardly have any squirrels where we live. In all honesty, I believe it's because we are right next to the river...which has an eagle's nest. I have literally watched an eagle fly down to the river, snag a fish and carry it back to the nest. It is simply breathtaking. Behind my neighbors house is a huge field, they harvest hay or straw there, I'm not sure which, and in the tree just behind their house is a hawks nest. It's a beautiful sight as well, it seems to keep the annoying starlings away. Maybe that helps with keeping the squirrels away? We have tree's amillion here too, so I don't know why we don't have the little rodents around....but I ain't complaining!!

We see alot of rabbits though. It's strange, we'll see rabbits everyday for like a week, and then one night, we'll hear the coyotes and not see any of the rabbits for about a week. Then the rabbits show up for a week or so, and we hear coyotes, and they're gone. It's the circle of life I guess.

We have turkey's here too; they are so amazing to watch at times.

I am knocking on wood in seeing no squirrels. LOL!

So you need a pet hawk I guess. LOL. I'm going to agree that a cat will be your best bet. A nice tom cat. Be prepared to receive other gifts from an outside cat though, besides the rodents. Like snakes. LOL.

I do like the pellet gun idea though. Just be careful where you aim that thing!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 03:53 PM

148 posts, read 303,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMopar View Post
I hate to say this because knowing my luck, they'll just start showing up, but we hardly have any squirrels where we live. In all honesty, I believe it's because we are right next to the river...which has an eagle's nest. I have literally watched an eagle fly down to the river, snag a fish and carry it back to the nest. It is simply breathtaking. Behind my neighbors house is a huge field, they harvest hay or straw there, I'm not sure which, and in the tree just behind their house is a hawks nest. It's a beautiful sight as well, it seems to keep the annoying starlings away. Maybe that helps with keeping the squirrels away? We have tree's amillion here too, so I don't know why we don't have the little rodents around....but I ain't complaining!!

We see alot of rabbits though. It's strange, we'll see rabbits everyday for like a week, and then one night, we'll hear the coyotes and not see any of the rabbits for about a week. Then the rabbits show up for a week or so, and we hear coyotes, and they're gone. It's the circle of life I guess.

We have turkey's here too; they are so amazing to watch at times.

I am knocking on wood in seeing no squirrels. LOL!

So you need a pet hawk I guess. LOL. I'm going to agree that a cat will be your best bet. A nice tom cat. Be prepared to receive other gifts from an outside cat though, besides the rodents. Like snakes. LOL.

I do like the pellet gun idea though. Just be careful where you aim that thing!!!

Once I get back from my trip from Virginia/Pennsylvania I will check in getting a outside cat and see what it takes to stay in an area or whatever. Thanks all for the suggestions, I do appriciate it.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,050,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cycholl View Post
Once I get back from my trip from Virginia/Pennsylvania I will check in getting a outside cat and see what it takes to stay in an area or whatever. Thanks all for the suggestions, I do appriciate it.
Feed him. If you do that, he'll stay, earn his keep by keeping away the critters. I know a cat that attacked a rattler because it was about to go after the family baby. They are good to have around.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:33 PM

79 posts, read 120,347 times
I went up to the cabin in Hancock Co. a while back and found one in the house. They will makes nests in inconvenient places and leave dropping all around the pool deck. Get the cat and a pellet gun but forget eating them, they aren't that tasty.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:58 PM

745 posts, read 1,710,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Pig View Post
I went up to the cabin in Hancock Co. a while back and found one in the house. They will makes nests in inconvenient places and leave dropping all around the pool deck. Get the cat and a pellet gun but forget eating them, they aren't that tasty.
I haven't eaten any squirrel in years, but I do recall that fried squirrel is very good, compared to boiled or stewed or other ways of preparing it.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:32 PM

79 posts, read 120,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
I haven't eaten any squirrel in years, but I do recall that fried squirrel is very good, compared to boiled or stewed or other ways of preparing it.
Yeh but I compare it to chicken, turkey and beef.
Besides you'd have to have a dozen to fill a man up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville