U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 11-18-2007, 01:11 PM

42 posts, read 82,622 times
Default Pit Bulls

I was sickened and upset to hear about the young woman who was mauled to death by two pit bulls. I can't believe people would still keep these animals as pets after all the publicity about them killing so many people. Not long ago in Nashville an innocent man was mauled to death by two pit bulls who got loose and attacked him on the street. I've heard people say that it's not the breed but the training. I, for one, think it is the breed. Would you say a lion would only kill if it was trained to be mean? Of course not. It's the animal instinct in it that makes it kill. I also believe that pit bulls have this animal instinct. Even loving owners who have raised these dogs from puppies have been killed and attacked by them. I for one would like to see Pit Bulls outlawed as domestic pets.

Unread 11-18-2007, 07:08 PM

4,733 posts, read 6,062,963 times
Question Aggressive animals have to be restrained and contained, but banned...?

I think I can speak for just about everyone here, Cookey mith, that it is so sad and devastating to hear about yet one more attack from a Pit Bull or any other agressive breed of dog.

I just am not so sure that banning them as domestic pets is the answer. Some people love the breed and give them a lot of love and socializing to help keep them more even tempered. We all know that this is not a remedy for the unpredictable agression that even a sweet socialized animal can show in an instant. I would have hated to see Cocker Spaniels banned as pets for the biting tendency that the breed had through the '50's and '60's. (That's in the 20 century for all of you youngsters.)

I think that the best and fairest solution is to enforce very strict laws on leashing, treatment, and confinement of these breeds. One infraction, even if there is no injury involved must be met with further restricting the animal and fining the owner. Even if there is only one slight injury to an individual by such an animal, I believe it is justified to put the animal down as humanely as possible. It poses too great a risk after one attack to allow the opportunity for another.

I know that this sounds harsh to Pit Bull owners in particular and all agressive dog owners in general, but a human life is more important to protect, IMO, than that of an animal who is supposed to be in submission to humans.

At one time Dobermanns and German Shepherds also had these justifiable reputations for being unpredictable, undependable around people, and dangerous. However, those that love the breeds started using more discernment in their breeding and have virtually created much more docile and less tempermental animals in these breeds. I think that all dogs have the potential of being agressive and dangerous under certain conditions, but some are bred expressly for those traits.

Offended pit bull owners and breeders must take the full burden of responsibility of this nasty reputation on their own backs. Stop inbreeding to get an even more aggressive dog and start weeding out those dangerous traits. Over the next 8 - 10 generations of this breed, we may see an entirely acceptable pet if all would heed this standard. Let's see what happens.

I would love to hear the views of others on this.

Unread 11-18-2007, 07:41 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,400,163 times
I don't see any reason EVERY breed could be held to those standards (and their owners kept on a very "short leash" if you will). It shouldn't be any hardship to the golden retriever's owner if the law says they'll have a very stiff punishment if their dog bites someone, right? Nobody should have an objection.

And if pit owners (or rotty owners, or whomever) don't like it because their dog is prone to biting, then at least everyone is being held to that same standard and there's no "discrimination".

I would be very much "up in arms" if I was told that there's a mandatory $1000 fine if my pit mix is found loose, but my neighbor just gets a warning when his weimaraner wanders, know what I mean?

Or more vividly, if my pit mix bites someone, by law he has to be put to sleep plus any action the victim takes against me. But if Lassie bites someone it's not covered by any law except the civil liability.

That's discrimination in my view, and I'd have Doggie Cochran (or Al Shar-pei, lol!) on the case against the town, toute de suite!

Unread 11-18-2007, 09:45 PM

Wink Didn't intend this to apply to just one breed. Must apply to all - cats, dogs, gerbils and fish!

You're right, bbkaren. I didn't in any way intend to single out a particular breed. All animal owners must be held accountable for their animals. Any animal, humans included, have the potential to misbehave in a dangerous manner. That's why we are governed ourselves by so many laws ourselves.

I think that most towns and communities have some type of leash law in effect. This is probably not the case in more rural areas, but the intent of the leash law should still be in effect even if your animal has 100 acres to roam.

In a perfect world where we all cared about our neighbors as ourselves, we would not have to worry about loose and dangerous pets. But, until we have that kind of world to live in, there have to be strong, uniform laws that affect every animal owner and pet. I had a nasty ****-a-too at one time. No leash, but certainly caged when the UPS man came to the door!

Unread 11-19-2007, 10:21 AM

53 posts, read 37,588 times
I myself have grown up having pit bulls. I was never harmed by any of them, nor was anyone else. As an adult with children, I still have pit bulls. Even though our animals are very friendly, we keep them in a privacy fenced yard. We didn't always have the fence. My dog didn't leave the yard, but neighbors complained that she wasn't tied, even though their black lab got out of its fence all the time. It became such a hassle having the sheriff's come check her tags and license, that we built the privacy fence. I have had one pit that I got as a puppy that turned aggressive. Not towards my children, but another child who is mean to any animal. When my dog nipped at him to let him know he was hurting him, I gave the dog to friends of mine who had no children, but other dogs. The dog is doing fine, and hasn't been aggressive since. In my opinion it is how you raise the dog, but when others come in contact with the dog and are mean to it, it's going to let you know it. If the dogs I have now acted aggressive in any way I would find a different home for it. If the aggression would lead to harm to another person, or animal for that matter, I would definitely put the dog down. Even if the dog was my pet I've had for years. No one can assume a dog will be good natured forever. Anything can happen. But I do agree with others on this subject that it's not just pits, or rots, or chows, it's any dog, even a small dog.

Unread 11-19-2007, 12:40 PM

6,758 posts, read 6,510,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookey mith View Post
I was sickened and upset to hear about the young woman who was mauled to death by two pit bulls. I can't believe people would still keep these animals as pets after all the publicity about them killing so many people. Not long ago in Nashville an innocent man was mauled to death by two pit bulls who got loose and attacked him on the street. I've heard people say that it's not the breed but the training. I, for one, think it is the breed. Would you say a lion would only kill if it was trained to be mean? Of course not. It's the animal instinct in it that makes it kill. I also believe that pit bulls have this animal instinct. Even loving owners who have raised these dogs from puppies have been killed and attacked by them. I for one would like to see Pit Bulls outlawed as domestic pets.
Maybe we can add the "War on Pit Bulls" to The War On:

Terrorism
Poverty
Drugs
Illiteracy
Crime

Snuffing those out has gone so well....

It always amazes me at the mob mentality people can be whipped into by the media. Sure this story is very sad. But what did the media do? The story became about THE DEADLY PIT BULL. Why? Because it makes for a good headline. What about the guy having several complaints against him before? Nah, that doesn't matter because IT WAS A PIT BULL ATTACK!!! Front page stuff here folks. Lets not let details and facts get in the way of a scare story.

I'd love to see proof of owners who have raised a pit properly with love, discipline, and affection, and then attacked and killed by them. Please. Thats nonsense.

I wish we could instate a ban on people talking about Pit Bulls who don't understand the topic. That would be much more appropriate.

Unread 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Wink Be a responsible owner even with your sweet cockapoo!

I agree that this discussion or the news media should focus on pit bulls entirely. This was only one pit attack and there are thousands of pit bulls in this country. But, they are, nonetheless, known for being bred to be agressive. But, the laws must apply to animals.

We had a beautiful black cocker spaniel years ago who was dearly loved by our family. He barked and snarled at the mailman everyday as the mail was dropped into our mail slot. I believe Casey reasoned (as a dog would reason) "Hey, every time I bark and snarl at this guy, he gets scared and runs away." What a confidence booster to a dog.

On one ocassion the postman had a package to deliver and knocked on the door. As soon as I opened the door with my hand on Casey's collar he tore away from me in a flash and bit the mailman who he considered an intruder.

I had to find him a good home with someone who would love him, but be able to keep him away such an urban setting. Friends of ours who had a corn farm took Casey and he was the happiest dog alive with lots of room to run and other dogs and various animals to play with. As far as I know there was never another incident.

The point is we did not take even one more chance with that normally sweet dog. Once he attacked someone we felt sure it would happen again. If I was not able to place him in a more appropriate home, I would have had him put to sleep, even though it would have broken my heart. I couldn't risk the safety of my sons or any of their friends.

As owners of pets we are responsible for being vigilant with any breed. We should always have a dog contained in a fenced yard or on a leash. There is no way for any of us to predict what might threaten even the kindest animal and cause him to attack someone.

Unread 11-19-2007, 02:43 PM

6,758 posts, read 6,510,795 times
I am a proud owner of an American Bulldog who is often mistaken for a Pit Bull. I got her when she was just 5 weeks old and have devoted tons of time, energy, and affection to raising her properly, as well as restraining her properly. I have never once felt uncomfortable with her, because I always err on the side of caution. When letting people near her, even though I know she is a big sweetie, I'm always right there with my hands on her. I know the kind of reactions people make towards pit bulls, and I know that if there was ever a misunderstanding, it would cause a lot of problems for me.

Overall though, she is the most loving and loyal dog I've ever had, and I have always been with 100% certainty her authority figure. She does her best to please me, and in return, I keep her disciplined, well fed, and well cuddled up to me in the evenings!

Unread 11-19-2007, 05:09 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 321,606 times
In their early days pitbulls were bred to use as children's companions because they are so loving. In the 60s German Shepards were the terror dogs, the 70s saw the Dobermans, 80's saw Rotty's and then Pits in the 90s. One town in TN has already banned pitbulls, can't remember which one. It's sad that a few have chosen to tarnish the reputation of a wonderful animal. It sort of the same thought as guns don't kill people, people kill people. If a pitbull or any dog attacks someone then the owner should be responsible just as if they had a loaded gun that did so. Are we going to ban all guns? all forks and knives? Ban anything and everything that could potentially harm someone? Where does it end? Even Golden Retrievers can be trained to be harmful. If all pitbulls are banned won't people just look for another breed to train?

Unread 11-19-2007, 05:21 PM

12,119 posts, read 16,462,637 times
Is this the appropriate forum for this topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville