Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:17 AM

345 posts, read 918,143 times

Advertisements

I agree with Barking Spider...it's the people who feed the animals who make them unafraid. Or chase them down to get a picture or video.

Like the video of the bear trapped in Gatlinburg at the convention center. The people all running up to it, up and down the steps. What in the heck are people thinking? Apparently they aren't. While the animals need to be afraid of people, this poor bear is now spooked beyond belief. Hopefully bears don't remember past experiences like that.

The elk story is so very tragic. I don't blame the photographer. He was sitting on the side of the road. I have to say I would have done the same thing if it were me...try to remain still and get up slowly and walk away.

Last time we drove through that area, there was a herd of elk on the side of the road and one bull up near the shoulder of the road. There were people literally getting out of their cars and getting within 5 to 6 feet of the bull to take it's picture!!! I told my husband to just drive, I didn't want to see someone get gored...not that they wouldn't have deserved it.

It just breaks my heart to see how people think so little of the wildlife here. Most of them don't live here, so they don't see what consequences their actions hold. It's like anything....LOOK but DON'T TOUCH! Don't feed the animals. They aren't cute critters to feed like ducks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,745,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Thanks for posting the update.
Same armchair quarterbacking comes when an officer is forced to shoot someone, and you hear comments like, "Why couldn't they just shoot the gun out of his hand?".

It is a shame the elk had to be put down, but part of the blame lies with the idiots that feed them (and bears) like they are at the zoo.
There is a general rush to judgement that the media fans anyway in order to sell whatever news it is. Everyone who wasn't there seems to have a very definite idea of what should have been done and knowing the facts would just be an annoyance, whether shooting(s) or elks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMopar View Post
I agree with Barking Spider...it's the people who feed the animals who make them unafraid. Or chase them down to get a picture or video.

Like the video of the bear trapped in Gatlinburg at the convention center. The people all running up to it, up and down the steps. What in the heck are people thinking? Apparently they aren't. While the animals need to be afraid of people, this poor bear is now spooked beyond belief. Hopefully bears don't remember past experiences like that.

The elk story is so very tragic. I don't blame the photographer. He was sitting on the side of the road. I have to say I would have done the same thing if it were me...try to remain still and get up slowly and walk away.

Last time we drove through that area, there was a herd of elk on the side of the road and one bull up near the shoulder of the road. There were people literally getting out of their cars and getting within 5 to 6 feet of the bull to take it's picture!!! I told my husband to just drive, I didn't want to see someone get gored...not that they wouldn't have deserved it.

It just breaks my heart to see how people think so little of the wildlife here. Most of them don't live here, so they don't see what consequences their actions hold. It's like anything....LOOK but DON'T TOUCH! Don't feed the animals. They aren't cute critters to feed like ducks.
You are so right!

I immediately thought of the bear in Gatlinburg and the people chasing it with their cameras and cell phones to get a close up. I can't understand what they were thinking doing that. People come here from all over and seem to think of the "park" as a giant petting zoo of tame animals walking around for their amusement rather than what it is a refuge from development for wild animals and native plants and trees. The ones who feed them think they are being sly for getting the animals to come closer but they will turn around and try to sue the park service if they or their kid get hurt by the same animals.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:29 AM

619 posts, read 1,608,088 times
Agreed. People act like it's Disney World and the animals are robots or trained. Drives me crazy when i see people trying to feed them. I am from Florida, and idiots were always trying to feed gators. Go ahead.. he'll take it right from your hand! With your hand..morons.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,112,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
Agreed. People act like it's Disney World and the animals are robots or trained. Drives me crazy when i see people trying to feed them. I am from Florida, and idiots were always trying to feed gators. Go ahead.. he'll take it right from your hand! With your hand..morons.
I was just going to bring this up. I've seen gators hang out, waiting for tourists to feed them, then getting aggressive if they didn't get what they want. The tourists go home, none the wiser on the situation that they created, which could ultimately lead to injury or death.

Great link, Beretta. I think that article was very informative, a great explanation on what the rangers did in an attempt to not euthanize the elk, as well as their ongoing efforts. Media imparting useful information? Imagine that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville