Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 PM

85 posts, read 235,342 times

Advertisements

Tomato Head is a good restaurant too. I really like their vegetarian options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
Yeah, I forgot to mention them. Thanks for adding it.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
The food coop that was mentioned also offers a hot veg option every day.

Friday’s Hot Bar Menu: | Three Rivers Market

Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 AM

66 posts, read 121,753 times
My spouse & I are both vegetarians and find we get by okay. It's no worse then most other places. However, I get what you mean by the "weird" thing. I can count on more then 2 hands when I've informed a co-worker, someone I've met, etc. that we don't eat meat we get told that god created animals to eat on so we need to eat them. I guess that's a bad time to inform them we are also atheists. Ha.

Speaking of being atheists, neither of us are able to tell our co-workers we are. If you can freely express you believe in God can't you freely express you don't? It doesn't work that way with most Christians. Both of our bosses spouses are Pastors and all of our co-workers are very religious. We get asked constantly what church we go to and we just respond with "we haven't found one we like yet". We are honestly scared to say we don't believe for fear they will turn on us. Needless to say company gatherings are awkward when your the only one that doesn't believe in God and doesn't eat the same food.

Anyways, we have only been here a little under a year and above is my biggest complaint. I do really like the area besides that. Most people are friendly. The weather is mild year round. There is lots to do.

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU&UF View Post
My spouse & I are both vegetarians and find we get by okay. It's no worse then most other places. However, I get what you mean by the "weird" thing. I can count on more then 2 hands when I've informed a co-worker, someone I've met, etc. that we don't eat meat we get told that god created animals to eat on so we need to eat them. I guess that's a bad time to inform them we are also atheists. Ha.

Speaking of being atheists, neither of us are able to tell our co-workers we are. If you can freely express you believe in God can't you freely express you don't? It doesn't work that way with most Christians. Both of our bosses spouses are Pastors and all of our co-workers are very religious. We get asked constantly what church we go to and we just respond with "we haven't found one we like yet". We are honestly scared to say we don't believe for fear they will turn on us. Needless to say company gatherings are awkward when your the only one that doesn't believe in God and doesn't eat the same food.

Anyways, we have only been here a little under a year and above is my biggest complaint. I do really like the area besides that. Most people are friendly. The weather is mild year round. There is lots to do.

Good luck.
You need to find new jobs, tout de suite. I've worked in a few places here, owned my own business, too. You're working in some sort of weird vortex.

Oh, wait. You're in Morristown! Well, that isn't Knoxville, sugah. That's an hour and a world away. I can't imagine every place there would be the same, but who knows. This is a classic example of why I say to stick to the larger metropolitan areas. Many of us have warned folks on here about Morristown and other towns around.

Advising someone about the veg atmosphere in Knoxville is probably not appropriate, frankly. Especially because you didn't even disclose that information.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I myself was surprised and saddened to hear IU/UF's story, even if it did happen in Morristown. I thought we Appalachians were more tolerant, live&let live, etc.

Jobs aren't always easy to find so I'm glad to read you like the other aspects of E TN.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times
Whyyy YES, Morristown IS a world away. Mayhaps we'll git indoor plumbin' when Paw gits the 'backer check.

Glad I'm comfortable enough to not feel the need to 'warn' folks away from particular areas, Cocke County (with well documented problems) not withstanding. Facts (with documentation) carry SO much more weight than mere opinions.

Oddly enough, I find that the sun rises AND sets all over the state, not just in West Knoxville.

To the OP....you will be happy to find a variety of choices (both grocery store selections and restaurant) for your meals in the greater Knoxville area. The farmer's markets are also great resources for fresh, fresh veggies (if you don't want to grow your own)....just make sure they are markets that restrict vendors to only the ones who produce what they sell (otherwise they're all just buying trucked in stuff from the same truck!)...I know the one out by Target in the east part of Knoxville does, as does the market in Dandridge. There are also several CSAs in the area too.
Happy eatin'!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Whyyy YES, Morristown IS a world away. Mayhaps we'll git indoor plumbin' when Paw gits the 'backer check.

Splendid! Keep us posted!

Glad I'm comfortable enough to not feel the need to 'warn' folks away from particular areas, Cocke County (with well documented problems) not withstanding. Facts (with documentation) carry SO much more weight than mere opinions.

Oddly enough, I find that the sun rises AND sets all over the state, not just in West Knoxville.

Since you live in Morristown, I find it curious that you didn't address IU&UF's observations. Are we left to believe that their experience being vegetarians and atheists is the norm? I notice that you didn't give any suggestions regarding vegetarian choices in Morristown, although you did mention a farmer's market in Dandridge.

To the OP....you will be happy to find a variety of choices (both grocery store selections and restaurant) for your meals in the greater Knoxville area. The farmer's markets are also great resources for fresh, fresh veggies (if you don't want to grow your own)....just make sure they are markets that restrict vendors to only the ones who produce what they sell (otherwise they're all just buying trucked in stuff from the same truck!)...I know the one out by Target in the east part of Knoxville does, as does the market in Dandridge. There are also several CSAs in the area too.
Happy eatin'!
The downtown farmer's market at Market Square only accepts vendors that actually grow or make their offerings. The two in West Knoxville (oh, the horrors! ), one at Westland (near a fancy-pantcy golf course ) and the one across from Cherokee Boulevard (old money, run, save yourselves!) have the same requirement. So does the one at UT (that's a university for you of the great unwashed), I believe.

Interesting that you once said that the Morristown farmer's market is where you've seen all of the produce coming from the same place. You said that none of it was homegrown. Failed to mention that this time, though.

I find it's best to help the people on the forum and not take things personally.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:46 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times
Welllll...seeing as I don't work in the public (other than people who come to the farm for my products, both washed and unwashed) I can't speak to the vegetarian/atheist comment. I myself don't believe in organized religion but I don't open conversations with it...if the topic comes up and my opinion is asked, I do respond. I have yet to receive death threats or even so much as a raised eyebrow. As far as vegetarian options, not being a vegetarian, I can't say I spend a lot of time contemplating them on the menu. I am sure there are many options here, else IU&UF would've mentioned starving a long time ago.

I didn't mention the Morristown farmer's market because, if you'll employ reading comprehension, you'll see I was referring to homegrown markets (of which White Pine is as well). Thought it a bit redundant to mention those that don't fit the criteria......

Oh, I'm not taking it personally....but I do believe biased 'help' helps no one. The greater Knoxville area has a lot to offer people of all sorts of needs and desires....just because you obviously greatly prefer the western part doesn't mean the rest of the area is damned to denouncement. Saying you prefer one area over others is one thing, being openly derisive and condemning of everything that isn't in your chosen area is yet another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville