Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 05:46 PM

7 posts, read 10,634 times

Advertisements

Hey there! Well my Mom is turning 60 this year and my sister and I want to take her to Tennessee for her birthday. She has said she really wants to go to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. I think mainly because she wants to see the Smokies. My thing is when I look at the tourist sites for these towns is seems like its mainly for families with kids. My sister and I will both be in our 30's by this time and I'm just wondering if this is really the area we should be going to? I'm just wondering if this a good place for the three of us or if there are other lesser known places by the Smokies that aren't that widely known. Basically my mom likes places that are scenic, have GOOD food, places with good candy stores lol (she loves fudge), and someplace with interesting tours and history. Also we'll be taking this trip in September after Labor Day but I just like to plan early . I'm looking forward to hearing any ideas you guys may have and your opinions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,986 times
Gatlinburg is a great place to visit and offers many trails, and great places to visit. You can google the Smoky Mountains and be sure to visit the Cades Cove area, a great place and plenty of places in Pigeon Forge to eat, and plenty of fudge!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 AM

345 posts, read 922,086 times
Well if you love good food and candy, I highly recommend Carver's in Cosby. Here's the link to their website.
Apple House Restaurant Cosby, TN

It's a working apple farm that has a great home cookin' restaurant and an attached produce barn with homemade jam's and jelly's. I think they stole my Great Grandma's Chicken and Dumplin' recipe!! LOL!!! Seriously, each meal comes with fresh made, still warm apple fritters and a glass of apple cider. YUM!

Before you leave, be sure to walk across the parking lot to the little store that sells antiques, local arts and penny candy! It's not really a penny anymore but it was an enjoyable walk down memory lane for my husband and I to buy a bag of our childhood candy and then proceed to eat it on the way home in the car!

We used to vacation here before we became residents; as a family and as a couple. We came here several times with other couples, sharing a cabin, and spending the weekend walking the streets, enjoying the art area of the Glades, a glass of locally made wine and hiking the Smokies. Cades Cove is always worth the drive and you can walk the historical areas.

There is alot to do for young and old. Enjoy your visit!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
We found the Titanic museum to be very interesting attraction in Pigeon Forge. The arts and crafts community shops around Gatlinburg also were fun. Dollywood is for young and old alike, with numerous shows as well as thrill rides. I'm 55 and still love thrill rides, Your mom may be different. The Chattanooga area also has many attractions that adults might find interesting. We enjoyed Rock City and Ruby Falls cavern. I have not been to the Civil War Battlefields but they would be interesting historical sites, I would think. Spring and Summer bring numerous festivals around the state. There are tons of antique shops and antique malls everywhere if you like antiquing. Sevierville has a huge outlet shopping area too, if you are into shopping.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:43 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Gatlinburg is not just for families. People of all age groups flock there. If your mom loves fudge shops - that is the place to be!

Shadow - did you know that Knoxville is hard at work preserving its civil war battlefields? Fort Dickerson has been a park for quite some time. There is a brand new park at Fort Higley, then a trail across Cherokee trail takes you to Armstong's hill. Fort Stanley has been aquired and will be opened in the future.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:26 AM

Thank you for the info folks. I'm thinking we'll be just fine in Gatlinburg. She will definitely have a good time and Cades Cove seems awesome as well as the Titanic exhibit. She'll love the Apple House Restaurant and candy shops too. Thanks again!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Just a heads up, some businesses in Gatlinburg are closed Mondays, because they were open all weekend. We did not know this and were surprised when some places were closed on a weekday.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Just a heads up, some businesses in Gatlinburg are closed Mondays, because they were open all weekend. We did not know this and were surprised when some places were closed on a weekday.

Thanks for the heads up, we are also planning a day trip to North Carolina. I guess we will make that on Monday . Thanks again.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,866 times
I think you and your family will love Gatlinburg Pigeon Forge. If your mom loves scenic views take her up to space needle in downtown Gatlinburg it is amazing view of mountains and surrounding areas. Bunch of attractions in Gatlinburg and P.F. Ripley Aquarium is very cool last time I went they had titanic special exhibit also many candy and fudge stores down close to Aquarium. Both area have lots of great shopping and things to do. Cades Cove isn't to far it is nice to drive the loop or if you really like a bunch of people ride bicycles around Cades Cove Loop I believe it's 11 miles. You can see deer alot and all types of wildlife. I've lived hear my whole life about 30 minutes from Gatlinburg Pigeon Forge area and I still love going up there to do all these things. If you like it you should come back in the fall time because that area well all of East Tennessee that time of year is beautiful when the leaves change colors plus the weather is awesome that time of year. Good luck on your vacation I think your family won't regret that lovely area. Almost forgot Dolly Wood is nice place to go. It's more than theme parks they always have nice crafts and other things like that to enjoy it's not just water or theme park. I like seeing the Bald Eagle exhibit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville