Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:06 PM

62 posts, read 189,789 times

Advertisements

Unless you're buying cash, lenders expect you to be settled in to a job here in Tennessee before they will approve your loan. This is the typical rule of thumb unless you can prove that you've got 6+ months worth of reserves in your bank account to compensate in case you don't find a job right away. I would definitely try to find a job first, then make the move. Also, ask your lender what their rules are regarding changing jobs. Do they require you to be on the job a certain amount of time before they approve your loan, etc? From my experience, it is VERY DIFFICULT, to be approved for a loan if you are not already working in Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 8,830 times
Default jobs in Knoxville

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Me again- I'm not sure what to do- some people say it's best to just move here and then find a job, others say wait and get ajob first. I'm not sure what the Knoxville market is like, can a person with a 3-6 month living expenses move there and eventually get a decent paying job in that time span? Or is it best to wait and try to find one there as an outsider first.

THanks!!
Go to [url=http://www.knoxnews.com]knoxnews.com : Knoxville, Tennessee, News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information[/url] and click on JOBS.. Depends what kind of job you are looking for.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:09 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelinaRotar View Post
Unless you're buying cash, lenders expect you to be settled in to a job here in Tennessee before they will approve your loan. This is the typical rule of thumb unless you can prove that you've got 6+ months worth of reserves in your bank account to compensate in case you don't find a job right away. I would definitely try to find a job first, then make the move. Also, ask your lender what their rules are regarding changing jobs. Do they require you to be on the job a certain amount of time before they approve your loan, etc? From my experience, it is VERY DIFFICULT, to be approved for a loan if you are not already working in Tennessee.
This was not the case for me. I relocated back here from out of state and had not started my employment here yet; however, I was approved for my loan and we closed prior to my first day at work. My loan was a no doc loan.

Having said that, I would never buy a home in a new state where I didn't have a job lined up unless I had other funds lined up to cover the mortgage.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
This was not the case for me. I relocated back here from out of state and had not started my employment here yet; however, I was approved for my loan and we closed prior to my first day at work. My loan was a no doc loan.

Having said that, I would never buy a home in a new state where I didn't have a job lined up unless I had other funds lined up to cover the mortgage.
I SOOO agree with that! Well said.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I thought the same thing. You didn't necessarily need a job. I wonder if no doc loans are now persona non grata, though?

Old 12-06-2007, 06:34 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Default A bit pricey way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I thought the same thing. You didn't necessarily need a job. I wonder if no doc loans are now persona non grata, though?
There are companies on the web still pushing them at 7.87% to 8.3. Yikes! They generally require a 30% down payment, and I would think, if you were going that route you would want at least 30% down.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:44 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I am sure that there are still some out there. I am at 5 1/4% and am not going anywhere except maybe to the remodel store! lol

Old 12-06-2007, 07:29 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Default They are definitely still out there, if you can afford them.

They are still available and practical for some. But, your 5 1/4% sounds like a thing of the past, SmokyMtnGal. Lucky you!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:37 PM

62 posts, read 189,789 times
Yes, there are still lenders that do no doc and limited doc loans. However, most require a minimum of 20% down. I haven't found anyone that requires less than 20% down for a no doc loan. If anybody has, let me know

Wow! 5.25% interest? That's fabulous! I have a feeling it won't hit that low for no doc/limited doc loans again for a while.

As for jobs, there are many agencies in town such as Staffing Solutions, Express Personnel...that do temp hiring. I had a client that got a job thru there and within several weeks it became a permanent job with full benefits. He is in the accounting field. I don't have much feedback from temp agencies, but I know it worked for this guy.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelinaRotar View Post
Yes, there are still lenders that do no doc and limited doc loans. However, most require a minimum of 20% down. I haven't found anyone that requires less than 20% down for a no doc loan. If anybody has, let me know

Wow! 5.25% interest? That's fabulous! I have a feeling it won't hit that low for no doc/limited doc loans again for a while.
You are correct on the No Doc needing at least 20% down and current mortgage history, some are now requiring 25% down or more to get the no doc and you have to have over 720 score to even think about it. However rates are back to the 5's in the standard conforming world now. I am doing them 95% at 5.5% so those days of really low rates are back, it is just a matter of qualifiers are stricter. And the no job factor would play in considerably. If you are moving states and jobs but staying in the same field and have a signed job offer letter and it has the agreed salary listed, yes you can mortgage a house even though you haven't actually started the new job yet or just newly started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville