Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 8,502 times

Advertisements

We are a young family looking to relocate to TN from MN. We are looking mostly at the eastern part of the state but the Cookeville area is a possibility if a job were to become available. First pick would be Knoxville because it seems jobs are abundant there. But the downfall I have seen so far is higher house prices. We want out of MN for a few reasons but the top 2 being house and land costs and taxes. Chattanooga would be next choice. We have been to TN a couple times and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since!! I would love if some people from the area could give some insight as to where jobs would be better and where we could find some acerage a little ways out for less than 200k.
I can't wait to get down there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 03:52 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
While there may be jobs here, it really depends on what type of job you are looking for, AND what kind of wage you expect to earn. It may not be a good fit.
Same goes for house prices, it all depends on the area and what YOU consider low prices. They vary from 30K to a couple million.
A little ways out could mean 5 miles to one person, and 45 minute drive to another.
While you may find a house with acreage for less than 200K, it may not be close to schools you want, shopping areas you want, or close to the job you don't have yet.
You need to secure the job first, then start hunting for property that is a reasonable commute.
Much more info is needed.
Cookeville is not really close enough to commute from Knoxville on a daily basis.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM

5 posts, read 8,502 times
We homeschool so schools aren't relevant to our situation. My husband wouldn't commute from Cookeville to Knoxville which is why I said that would only be an option if he were able to find a job there. We live in rural MN so we are used to traveling to get to some decent stores. I could really care less about shopping malls, I try to stay away from them. A Wal-Mart and Target are all I really need. I can do a lot of shopping online also. We would only look for a job in an area that has affordable housing. So those two things go hand in hand for us. We wouldn't have my husband take a job in an area where housing prices are high. Just to give you an idea, around here a small house with 10 acres and run down outbuildings is going to cost you a minimum of 200k, unless you live in the wilderness of far northern MN. My husband is in the tire business and has been for many years. He deals with all the agricultural stuff, which is obviously big business in MN. Seeing as how that is not as big in the eastern part of TN he would likely need to find a different career path.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:04 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I think it's simple, really. You've narrowed your search down to Cookeville, Knoxville and Chattanooga. Schools don't matter so doesn't need to be factored in (if it did, I'd pick Knoxville). All have lower costs of living and housing prices. Out of those three, Knoxville probably has more jobs, but you could get a job offer in Chattanooga, for all we know.

By the way, jobs aren't abundant anywhere in Tennessee. Knoxville and parts of Nashville have lower unemployment rates but that is all. If you want a place with lots of jobs, head for Midland, Texas; Bismark, North Dakota and Houma, Louisiana, according to the latest figures.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

By the way, Nashville is 89th, Knoxville is 113th and Chattanooga is 174th on that list.

If you want dirt cheap housing prices you will find them in the Midwest where there aren't jobs. Places like Flint and Detroit, Michigan. That's just the way life goes. When I picked a place to live back in 2005, I looked for a perfect balance of cost-of-living/housing to jobs ratio but in the South because that is where I wanted to live. That delicate balance is fluid, of course. Things always change, just look at Detroit!

If you are looking for lower taxes, then Tennessee if a great choice, having one of the lowest tax burdens in the state.

Homeschooling is prevalent in this state as well, with lots of support groups.

So start looking for a job in those three areas and see what happens. If you are looking to switch career gears, I'd start looking at training.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:58 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Your tax burden should drop tremendously, but I'm not sure your housing costs will for a house, "run down outbuildings," and ten acres. If you want to go way outside the metro, you can find cheaper property, but then you have the jobs issue. If you want to be closer to where the jobs are, expect to pay more for housing.

Knoxville has a good unemployment rate, but smaller towns and rural areas in TN have very weak job markets. Also, I lived in IA for a year (strong job market like MN) and moved back to east TN (Kingsport) and found my income cut in half for the same role, both at Fortune 500s. I accepted an offer in Indiana, and after you factor benefits in (I've never had a job with benefits of any kind in TN), my total compensation has gone up nearly threefold of my last job in TN. My situation is a little extreme, but you can probably expect a salary decline by coming to TN from MN.

I think Cooper Tire has a facility in Surgoinsville, TN at Phipps Bend Industrial Park and the property is cheap in Hawkins County, but that's not really a desirable area and is way out from where you're looking. That's about the only place I can think of that is remotely related to tires in the region.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:28 PM

8 posts, read 10,403 times
Hey all, I'm going to piggy back this thread... I've been in the Chattanooga forums but just as recently as the last few days I recieved the news that I have the option to go to Knoxville instead of Chattanooga as my wife and I have been originally planning. I have a job lined up so that is not an issue.

We are coming down for a PMV for a week to look at houses and the area. We were planning on doing all of those things in Chattanooga but now are planning on taking a couple of days in Knox as well. We are a young family so schools are important for the future. We will be moving from WI and our biggest reason for moving is the weather. We love the outdoors and both of us grew up in the northern midwest and we both have lived and traveled to many southern states. TN is hands down our favorite and we want to be able to raise our kids outside instead of stuck inside for 6-7 months out of the year.

I have a good friend who lives in Knox but he hasn't been there more than a few months and he was saying we need to look in West Knoxville for homes because of the schools and housing etc, etc. Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated as we are leaving so soon! Our housing budget will most likely be 250 at the very high end but we would like to stay at 230 and below because we saw a lot of great homes in that range in Chattanooga and we'd also like to get a boat again since down there we can use it more than 5 months out of the year!! Good schools, great community, with families and lots of kids is a priority. Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated and we're excited to get down there. We'll be in your great state soon!

Old 05-20-2014, 09:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Housing is slightly cheaper in Chattanooga. The schools are better in Knoxville compared to Chattanooga. Period.

Best high school in Chattanooga is a creative arts school that has had much controversy over its lottery system. At one time, people were camping out a month in advance - or more - to get their kid in that school. That's how bad the schools are in Chattanooga.

By the way, for those that are interested, Nashville has long wait lists for their best schools, too.

Search Tennessee High Schools | US News

Best schools are on the west side. You do NOT want immediate west, places like Lonsdale, Mechanicsville, anything west I-275 but north of I-40 (and slightly south of there) and south of I-640. That triangle is some of the worst areas in the city. You want Sequoyah Hills, Bearden and then from there, points west, south and slightly north. Besides Bearden, check Rocky Hill, West Hills, areas around Middlebrook Pike. There are affordable homes, you just have to look.

Search Tennessee High Schools | US News

Old 05-20-2014, 11:40 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
A quick drive around Knoxville will confirm what hiknapster said. It doesn't take a genius to tell the good areas from subpar ones. Granted, even the worst parts of Knoxville don't compare to the troubles of rural east TN, but some areas in the metro are worse than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville