Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 02:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck666 View Post
Is Monster the best way to look for jobs in the area? I have sent a few resumes to names from the phonebook in the Knoxville area, but have yet to hear back. I have an extensive background in printing, but no calls back so far. Trying to get out of Chicago by the end of the year if possible.
You probably already know this but the printing industry has been bleeding jobs for at least the past 10 years and it is only getting worse.

10 Job Sectors in Decline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 02:44 PM

235 posts, read 287,444 times
I'm well aware of that. (Not the specific percentage though.) That's why it's good to have a proven history of commitment and reliability. I found some prospects on careerbuilder.com, don't know if the OP has tried that or not. I haven't looked since I moved here 18 years ago, so some avenues of job search have passed by me. I tend to stick with a good employer for a long time.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:21 PM

42 posts, read 34,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
In your other thread you say that you are on a three-year-plan regarding moving to Knoxville. That is why employers don't always take out-of-state people that seriously. Granted, there are a lot of people that transfer within their company and also get jobs while living elsewhere but you have to prove that you're willing to immediately move.

I think the OP is just going to be networking for awhile but I thought I'd point that out.
You are absolutely right. I certainly am not going to be sending out resumes anytime soon but will be soaking in as much info as I can get my hands on. Three years seems like a long time but I know how fast the last five have passed by. Three years is also just a basic time frame. Could be a couple of years, could be 10 years. If next summer I feel I can get a great price for my home, become liquid, and see some opportunities for employment things could be sped up. I can promise it won't be within a year. What you said about employers not taking out-of-state people that seriously was exactly what I was alluding to. Here even if you were to say "I'll be moving to Las Vegas next month (or week for that matter)" they really don't take you seriously. They want to see a local address unless you are specifically recruited to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: