Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,702 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the Tellico lake area from Rochester, NY. We would like an active adult community with golf opportunities as we are both retired. Areas with slightly cooler temperatures in the summer are what we prefer. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 07:25 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
Here's what I got on the first Google search..
Tellico Village Golf

Old 07-01-2014, 06:30 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
You can look at Tellico Village, Rarity Bay, and Wind River, all golf communities on Tellico Lake. TV is the most well established (25 years), Rarity Bay is about 4 miles from TV and has a golf course and equestrian amenities. They had some issues with their old management absconding with money and have been sold to a new developer. I prefer the wooded "foresty" look of TV, Rarity looks like they cut down every tree before they started building and has a more "wide open acres of grass" look that doesn't really appeal to me. I think it just resembles a new neighborhood where the trees are all tiny sticks. Both have marinas and plenty of slips for the non-waterfront owners to rent. Rarity Bay owners have permission to join the TV wellness center because they don't have one. TV just has a lot more amenities (tennis courts, pickleball courts, indoor basketball gym, horseshoe pits, lakefront pavilion, 3 golf courses, yacht club, etc) because it has been here so long and they continue to build new facilities all the time. Our POA fees are cheap ($106/month) and the amenities (wellness center, boat slips, golf) are charged for individually so that you only pay for what you use. There are no initiation fees for golf membership, it is automatic for property owners.

You could also look at Tennessee National which is on Watts Bar Reservoir but is just downstream from Tellico Lake and Fort Loudon Lake. All three are on navigable rivers connected by a lock, and the water level is only dropped about 6 feet in the winter, so you have year round water. Tennessee Nat'l had some issues with their developer too (don't know details), so I would look into that before buying there.

I've been living here in TV for a year, after planning for 5 years to make the move. COULD NOT be happier!!! I love the mix of people here in TV. We have transplants from all over the country, and the mix of homes here ranges from 2 bedroom townhomes and small houses to 7000 sq ft waterfront mansions. Prices range from about $179K to over $2 mil. Everybody plays together and it's a lot of fun. Participate as much or as little as you like. I'm happy to help anyone who needs info and if you are going to be in the area, give me a heads up and I'll be happy to show you around. I am not a realtor and have nothing to sell, but I just enjoy sharing our beautiful part of Tennessee.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:27 PM

61 posts, read 108,027 times
Default Where do we start

We plan to move out of NJ and was looking at AZ/FL and now considering Tenn.
My wife has heard some good things about this state and may have to check it out.
Looking to consider a active adult community that's not to old (ages of homes) &
has a VA hosp/Clinic close by but not a must or requirement. With or without golf
course ok but close to shopping. Also retired military so installation within reasonable
distance is a plus too.

Any idea's or advice where to start looking would be a great help. Thank's

Old 07-13-2014, 03:43 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
I'm in eastern TN about 30 miles from Knoxville, there is a VA clinic w/ primary care and additional services in Knoxville, but the nearest VA hospital is probably in Cookeville or Nashville 2 to 3 hours away. The nearest military installation is probably Arnold AFB or Fort Campbell Kentucky. I'm not sure which is closer, but either is definitely over 2 hours away. There are several communities here on the lakes as mentioned above. They are not specifically over 55, but most of the residents are over 55 with about 10% younger folks, very few children. Tellico Village is 25 years old but is not a place where all the houses were built at the same time. Houses are still under construction as we speak. It is not cookie cutter like a Del Webb type place, houses are varied and built by numerous builders. There is new construction and also resale homes from about $180K to the sky is the limit. There is also an area of townhomes and condos. Nearby is Rarity Bay, a newer development, but the amenities there are not as numerous and it has a very different feel to it. It looks more like new construction. Nearby shopping is relative to what you consider "nearby". Closest towns are Loudon and Lenoir City. Lenoir City (~10 miles) has the basics - Walmart, Home Depot, numerous groceries, chain restaurants, and many smaller stores. For bigger shopping you can go to Farragut (~20 miles) and find most every store and restaurant under the sun. We have a smaller supermarket (Food Lion) and a hardware store, several banks, and restaurants in TV and Food City is about 6 miles away in Vonore and Loudon.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:00 PM

61 posts, read 108,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm in eastern TN about 30 miles from Knoxville, there is a VA clinic w/ primary care and additional services in Knoxville, but the nearest VA hospital is probably in Cookeville or Nashville 2 to 3 hours away. The nearest military installation is probably Arnold AFB or Fort Campbell Kentucky. I'm not sure which is closer, but either is definitely over 2 hours away. There are several communities here on the lakes as mentioned above. They are not specifically over 55, but most of the residents are over 55 with about 10% younger folks, very few children. Tellico Village is 25 years old but is not a place where all the houses were built at the same time. Houses are still under construction as we speak. It is not cookie cutter like a Del Webb type place, houses are varied and built by numerous builders. There is new construction and also resale homes from about $180K to the sky is the limit. There is also an area of townhomes and condos. Nearby is Rarity Bay, a newer development, but the amenities there are not as numerous and it has a very different feel to it. It looks more like new construction. Nearby shopping is relative to what you consider "nearby". Closest towns are Loudon and Lenoir City. Lenoir City (~10 miles) has the basics - Walmart, Home Depot, numerous groceries, chain restaurants, and many smaller stores. For bigger shopping you can go to Farragut (~20 miles) and find most every store and restaurant under the sun. We have a smaller supermarket (Food Lion) and a hardware store, several banks, and restaurants in TV and Food City is about 6 miles away in Vonore and Loudon.
Great Thanks very helpful information and a good starting point..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville