Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

This is an absolutely wild stab in the dark, but at this point, I'm desperate. I've been out of work since May 1. My 14-year-old daughter and I are two weeks away from living in my car. I wish that was hyperbole but it is not. I've managed to pay all the bills until now, but I'm completely tapped out.

Does anyone know any place around here that is hiring? I've never been intentionally without a job this long and I think age is a factor. I'll be 53 this year. I'm also considered to be overqualified by some employers. I was recently an auto and property insurance agent and I was paid very well. I have experience with call centers, tech support - I've worked at Sony, Comcast, BellSouth - and newspaper reporting. I've been a licensed agent for over two years and I have sales experience in auto, home, renters, umbrella, boat, personal articles.

If you can think of anything, please message me.

Thank you!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 PM

61 posts, read 108,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This is an absolutely wild stab in the dark, but at this point, I'm desperate. I've been out of work since May 1. My 14-year-old daughter and I are two weeks away from living in my car. I wish that was hyperbole but it is not. I've managed to pay all the bills until now, but I'm completely tapped out.

Does anyone know any place around here that is hiring? I've never been intentionally without a job this long and I think age is a factor. I'll be 53 this year. I'm also considered to be overqualified by some employers. I was recently an auto and property insurance agent and I was paid very well. I have experience with call centers, tech support - I've worked at Sony, Comcast, BellSouth - and newspaper reporting. I've been a licensed agent for over two years and I have sales experience in auto, home, renters, umbrella, boat, personal articles.

If you can think of anything, please message me.

Thank you!

USPS.com® - Careers

The click on the state of Tenn

Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
This isn't what anyone would want to do, but there is call center work available. Who knows whether these are real ads or whether it's just general resume trolling.

Call Center Representative Jobs, Employment in Knoxville, TN | Indeed.com

Beyond general things like that, I really don't know, and I'm pretty good about finding jobs. If it's any consolation, I've never had trouble finding work anywhere BUT Tennessee. I've never had a job with benefits in TN, and have never had job without benefits outside of TN. I've had more call backs and interest in FLORIDA than I ever got in TN, including Nashville. The numbers say one thing, but my own experience is that TN has the worst labor market of any state I've dealt with.

Two weeks isn't going to be enough time to clear background checks, start, and get a paycheck, even if you were to get hired tomorrow. I'd be preparing contingencies to go to where you have any family or friends who could help.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
I had figured you were working at ADT making a lot of money selling alarm systems.

So you might try that.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Hik, I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish you all the luck in finding some kind of a job. In the meantime have you tapped into local assistance programs? I've had to use similar back when I lived in Memphis and they can be the difference between being homeless or not. Even if you can't get help at from a particular program, they can often point you in the right direction to get help elsewhere.
Knox County assistance programs | Knoxville

Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
This isn't what anyone would want to do, but there is call center work available. Who knows whether these are real ads or whether it's just general resume trolling.

Call Center Representative Jobs, Employment in Knoxville, TN | Indeed.com

Beyond general things like that, I really don't know, and I'm pretty good about finding jobs. If it's any consolation, I've never had trouble finding work anywhere BUT Tennessee. I've never had a job with benefits in TN, and have never had job without benefits outside of TN. I've had more call backs and interest in FLORIDA than I ever got in TN, including Nashville. The numbers say one thing, but my own experience is that TN has the worst labor market of any state I've dealt with.

Two weeks isn't going to be enough time to clear background checks, start, and get a paycheck, even if you were to get hired tomorrow. I'd be preparing contingencies to go to where you have any family or friends who could help.
I worked at Comcast while here in Knoxville. The benefits were very good, but the pay was terrible. My last job, the pay was excellent although the benefits were good, but not as good as Comcast. Comcast was awhile back and I here the bennies have changed. But note that both companies were based in the northeast. I don't know if that would make a difference.

No family or friends. In fact, I left my job to help a family member and that blew up in my face.

I am trying to sell some of my possessions. If I can buy some time, it could make a very big difference.

Thanks for the link. I have to wait to rep you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I had figured you were working at ADT making a lot of money selling alarm systems.

So you might try that.
huh?

Jun and DoubleT, thank you. And to the two people that wrote to me with job suggestions, I thank you as well.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 PM

The only other hope I have is if I can find a job, I might be able to work something out with the complex where I live. I've never been late on my rent, never been evicted in my entire life. But it is a management company. Even though the staff here thinks I'm clean, nice and quiet, it is probably not up to them.

I have a dog, so shelters are out.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:40 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Look on Craigslist but be careful there. Cleaning jobs can be had fast, especially if you work for yourself. Some house cleaners do quite well.

Good luck Hik.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:54 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Quote:
huh?
ADT has a big call center monitoring alarm systems. I don't know whether the sales team is located here.

IF there is a sales team and IF they work on commision it might be a natural fit for you, don't you think? I mean, there would be a base salary but you also get a bonus when you sell a system.

That is if you can refrain from telling potential customers to just move away from their neighborhood.

I'm trying to pass along a job idea. So why the frowny face?

Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,876,880 times
Have you tried a contract staffing agency like CTG or Manpower?

CTG Jobs - Jobs in Knoxville, TN

Manpower Office

With your variety of skills they might be able to find you something within your realm of possibilities. They do offer benefits packages, but often times a contract position could be converted to regular employment with the respective employer if they feel you would be a valued permanent contributor on their team.

If you really get stuck in a desperate situation you might also want to check with some of the local churches near you who often have food pantries and other temporary assistance available to help you.

Good Luck.....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: