Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think Butch had great intentions. I think he's a good guy who really wanted to bring the program back. To a limited extent, he has done that. It is in far better shape than he got it. The team has clearly lost confidence in him, and now we need a coach to take the new, healthy baseline back to what is expected of TN football.

Butch did a good job rebuilding, but the job is just too big for him.
I completely agree. He restored the camaraderie and the program, but the momentum is gone. I do believe that this is too big of a task for him, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 12:30 PM

121 posts, read 162,097 times
Sadly their season is pretty much over now after loosing to both FL and GA. No real chance to win the SEC East now. Hopefully they will win a few more games but after they way they played the past few weeks I am not sure about that even. We will keep a good thought. I suspect Butch will be gone at the end of the season. I don't think it's a good idea to change mid season. Accomplishes nothing. Mostly disruptive. Anytime you change coaches it sets your program back a couple of years. If they have any thoughts of replacing Butch they better have someone good waiting in the wings to take the job. We have seen what happens in the past when you change coaches just for the sake of changing coaches.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
They won't be changing coaches just for the sake of it.

I love Butch Jones, heck of a guy, but I've questioned his judgment for awhile.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:16 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
I am a Bulldogs fan since I was young. I watched the game, but did not cheer at all. I so wanted Tennessee to score some.

I did not like the uniforms that Tennessee boys wear on occasion. I think orange/white makes them look very tough.

If Lyle Jones is fired now, he would be owed couple of millions. He knows the fans and players are not happy with him, maybe he plans to resign after the last game?

I hope that Beverly Davenport and/or John Currie will hire a new coach who is very familiar with the SEC, not outside of SEC. Could be someone who played under Johnny Majors and Phillip Fulmer.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:21 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
The payout would be around $9.6 million (give or take a few hundred thousand) to pay Butch out.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:52 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
I do not want to talk about Tennessee Volunteers football as the team continues to tank in the 2017 season. Being 4-5 (0-5, Southeastern Conference) is not positive.

Tennessee had a five-star lineman de-commit yesterday.

Further reading

Old 11-09-2017, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,311 times
It's a real mess and the administration HAS to come to terms with the fact that it JUST AIN'T (censored) WORKING!!!

Old 11-10-2017, 05:33 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I have been following the Vols, it seemed to me even as early as the start of last season fans were turning on Butch. Now it looks pretty clear that they need to make a change, even at that number.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:09 AM

196 posts, read 259,004 times
If/when they let Butch go a lot of his staff is let go with him right?
My neighbor works for the football department and is afraid his job well be restaffed if they get a new coach. Is that standard? I feel bad for my neighbors, they just moved to TN for this job and now he might lose it.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:12 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYS2Tennessee View Post
If/when they let Butch go a lot of his staff is let go with him right?
My neighbor works for the football department and is afraid his job well be restaffed if they get a new coach. Is that standard? I feel bad for my neighbors, they just moved to TN for this job and now he might lose it.
Yes typically the staff is brought in by the head coach. When he leaves so does his staff as the new coach will want to bring in his own guys. It sucks but every coach knows this is part of the deal. Kind of like joining the military, then know they will be on the move for most of their career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville