Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:43 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellySou View Post
I did not have to take a written test in 2010 when I switched my Maine license to a TN one. Just had to have the proper paperwork and the cash. Good luck!
Yeah, I didn't either, in 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 06:54 PM

132 posts, read 191,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_ny View Post
I went to DMV in Knoxville few days ago to exchange my NYS license for Tennessee one. Took me 10 minutes. Awesome service. No written test required if out of state license is valid. Eye test is required. The only documents required are 2 ID's and 2 proofs of residence (I had US passport and my NYS driv lic. , my apartment lease and the letter from electric company) Temporary license is issued and you will get a permanent one within 20 days. If you live in Knoxville, out of state driv. lic. are exchanged ONLY in the main office in Strawberry Plains 7320 Region Lane Knoxville, TN. Tennessee does not issue driv. lic. to illegal imigrants
That's how it was even for my license which included CDL with endorsements, and Motorcycle. Of course, a current medical card because of CDL was to be expected... But otherwise just an eye test, and stuff to prove you live here. Plates and title are downtown Knoxville in (I think) City County building or Old Court House upstairs somewhere. They can tell you this info at DMV. They will want you to have licenses changed first anyway. Small utility trailers don't even need a title or tag if you don't want to take it out of state. Working lights will still be required on them though!

There was one thing with car titles: There was a lean on one of my titles and I needed paper showing status of lean. It was paid off and I got the paper from bank to clear it, but even if it were not paid off, they told me they could not just copy over lean info without paper stating lean was still active as well. So, there is that for those who have leans stated on their titles...

I've been through a few different state DMV's and I really was impressed with "actual service" and efficiency provided here... what a concept! I actually liked being there... more than a dentist visit!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
You do NOT have to go downtown to get tags. There are several satellite offices. I originally went to the one in Halls. Very quick and efficient. Now I do everything online. Haven't been to one of those places in a long time.

Motor Vehicle - County Clerk - Knox County Tennessee Government

If I don't know an answer, or if I think I know it, but I'm not really sure, I either look it up online or I remain silent. I've always found it best to give a definitive answer and back it up with a link, otherwise it creates massive confusion and the thread is much longer than it should be. New folks don't have time to read long threads, often riddled with misinformation.

Just my - probably unpopular to some - opinion.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:36 PM

Default Really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You do NOT have to go downtown to get tags. There are several satellite offices. I originally went to the one in Halls. Very quick and efficient. Now I do everything online. Haven't been to one of those places in a long time.

Motor Vehicle - County Clerk - Knox County Tennessee Government

If I don't know an answer, or if I think I know it, but I'm not really sure, I either look it up online or I remain silent. I've always found it best to give a definitive answer and back it up with a link, otherwise it creates massive confusion and the thread is much longer than it should be. New folks don't have time to read long threads, often riddled with misinformation.

Just my - probably unpopular to some - opinion.
hiknapster, actually, that's where DMV told me to go. The exact building and room is not the issue, is it? The link was already out there as well. I'm not a computer robot and there was already a bunch of chit-chat on this thread a long time before I got here about things that are actually more personal than factual.

Additional information given about leans and such was intended to cover any other questions that others may not have covered and to stir up other questions that may be pertinent about that related subject. That may be just my opinion here, but answering and stirring up other questions in discussion is preferable here... it can also give the op a list of what to clarify about latest policies pertain to them since we can never be the last word on how a government agency acts the next time somebody needs/uses them, agree?

And BTW: Being in Knoxville, I did have to go downtown after going to DMV. That was the closest place for me to go for title/tags. It was not scary like a big city at all and avoiding it may make you feel like you missed out on the experience later when others talk about it. Knoxville is kinda "cute" downtown. If you want to be from Knoxville, the city is yours to not be afraid of... As I said earlier, DMV can also give info on exactly where to go and that is where you should start. You need to get license changed first. To change titles and get new tags/registration it could not be done at DMV (where you get licenses).

I really hope this kind of discussion doesn't push others away and we should avoid that more...

Old 10-29-2014, 11:55 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
How long do you have before you exchange the old license for a new one. Example: I haven't checked lately but it was that you could use your old state license for six months before u turned it in. But I was/am thinking of Illinois because a brother lives there and I was checking how long I had & he said it was immediate. Well, at the time I couldn't find a decent job so I didn't stay.

Now I am retired so want to move somewhere warmer. I'm looking at Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee and, don't laugh, New England. That one because the forum people are so nice, pcs may be right & since I've lived in Minnesota for most of my life, I'm certainly used to the cold.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
How long do you have before you exchange the old license for a new one. Example: I haven't checked lately but it was that you could use your old state license for six months before u turned it in. But I was/am thinking of Illinois because a brother lives there and I was checking how long I had & he said it was immediate. Well, at the time I couldn't find a decent job so I didn't stay.

Now I am retired so want to move somewhere warmer. I'm looking at Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee and, don't laugh, New England. That one because the forum people are so nice, pcs may be right & since I've lived in Minnesota for most of my life, I'm certainly used to the cold.
No later than 30 days from when you establish residency.

New Residents

It's probably a good idea to assume that it is immediate. Sometimes, by the time you get around to doing it, you could get stopped. It actually happened to my ex!

I'm from New England and you will probably feel that it is warmer there, in most of the area, compared to where you are now.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

Well, that sounds a bit nutty having to change licenses when you first get there... Of course, if you are "just visiting" it should never be an issue. I would suspect proving your intention to be a resident would be hard until about a month anyway... Got to get those bills coming in with your name and new address on them down here! I was here about that long before I got one...

There is one thing I found down here that made me want to hurry it along. I saved over $250 in car insurance this year when changing 2 cars over to TN. It may not be the same for you, but it was a bonus for me! I also had to send tags back to NY because of NY's insurance law before my insurance could change from NY. Hopefully, you don't have that where you are... but you might.

Sounds like figuring out where you are going to be may be more important than this particular thread though... Licenses are easy! I would suggest at this point it might be best to take some targeted trips and be very deliberate in meeting as many locals in each area of interest. There are plenty of threads about where to live on here... Good luck with your decision!!!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehopper View Post

There is one thing I found down here that made me want to hurry it along. I saved over $250 in car insurance this year when changing 2 cars over to TN. It may not be the same for you, but it was a bonus for me! I also had to send tags back to NY because of NY's insurance law before my insurance could change from NY. Hopefully, you don't have that where you are... but you might.
I want to clarify that before your insurance could END in New York, you had to turn in your plates. It did not stop you from getting insurance in Tennessee.

Fortunately - or unfortunately, depending on your point of view - Tennessee does not require that you have insurance to register the vehicle. However, it is the law that you drive with insurance. However, a lot of states require that you have proof of insurance before you can even attempt to get a new tag from that state. The great state of New York therefore makes you have overlapping coverage which is something you actually don't ever want.

Disclosure: I'm licensed casualty insurance agent in 41 states and the District of Columbia. I'm also a licensed property producer. For that matter, I'm now licensed in life and health but that is just in Tennessee and I'm digressing. I've written coverage for many a New Yorker in that state, and most importantly, as new transplants to numerous other states. There are a lot of escapees!

Old 10-31-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I want to clarify that before your insurance could END in New York, you had to turn in your plates. It did not stop you from getting insurance in Tennessee.

Fortunately - or unfortunately, depending on your point of view - Tennessee does not require that you have insurance to register the vehicle. However, it is the law that you drive with insurance. However, a lot of states require that you have proof of insurance before you can even attempt to get a new tag from that state. The great state of New York therefore makes you have overlapping coverage which is something you actually don't ever want.

Disclosure: I'm licensed casualty insurance agent in 41 states and the District of Columbia. I'm also a licensed property producer. For that matter, I'm now licensed in life and health but that is just in Tennessee and I'm digressing. I've written coverage for many a New Yorker in that state, and most importantly, as new transplants to numerous other states. There are a lot of escapees!
Actually, my insurance did not go up during transition. I thought that what would happen when I got told NY had to "release" me from having insurance tied to NY. I was not insured in two states at once as far as I can tell. It was still a NY policy and all they did was change my address to TN and keep me covered in a NY policy. They even sent me a renewal NY policy with TN address since I was almost due for renewal... I didn't understand that either... I gather you know how it should have worked, Hik. I'm just thankful I'm officially out of NY now and didn't have to use the insurance in the meantime!

So, to kinda get back to the subject, getting the licenses, titles, registration, and insurance changed from some states over to TN can be a very good thing to get done sooner rather than later.

Also, (Hik, you are welcome to chime in on any of this for clarification), if anybody intends to be here and have gotten into a lease to be here, I'd recommend making sure your insurance agency has your correct information or they may opt out if something happens. That would be a good idea especially since you are not familiar with the local roads/weather conditions when driving in the new area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: