Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 09:32 AM

109 posts, read 451,552 times

Advertisements

Hi, this weekend while visiting the area I found some really cute homes in the Springbrook area......! I kind of felt comfortable there away from all the traffic. But, planes were not coming in when I was there and I know the airport is like spitting distance away. How does the noise from airport bode in this little community? Do you just get used to it? Does anyone on this forum have firsthand experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 09:43 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Springbrook in not under a flight path therefore your noise will be limited somewhat. Anymore, TYS doesn't have many big jets, mostly small commuter jets and they aren't as noisy. Every so often you will hear the National Guard planes (C130's, etc.) but that is not frequent. I am curious as to what kind, if any, noise that the area may receive from Alcoa Hwy. I've never heard anyone in this area talk about the noise in that area.

AirNav: KTYS - Mc Ghee Tyson Airport

Springbrook, Alcoa, TN, USA - Google Maps

Old 01-06-2008, 10:03 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
TYS doesn't have many big jets, mostly small commuter jets and they aren't as noisy.
Umm no. (counting each cycle by the 135's)

Of the GA/Commercial Aircraft, ok. But KTYS is not just Commercial/GA. There is an ANG base with 6-10 KC135's there. They also get a LOT of other Military A/C there so on any given day there are anywhere from 2-10 departures of F-18's, F-15's or other VERY loud fighter jet A/C. I live a touch more then 2.5 miles away and I can still hear the Military AC CLEARLY when I am taking a shower in my apartment. Not to mention that the days KC-135's are NOT working the pattern are the exception, and while MOST of them have the CFM 56 upgrades, some don't. Either way; describing them going over your house as quiet is questionable.

Now, compared to KMIA, KATL, or KORD; KTYS is a dreamland, but don't think for a second that you are going to live aywhere within 3 miles of it and call it 'quiet'.

Footnote: I VERY rarely hear fighters LATE at night.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
Umm no. (counting each cycle by the 135's)

Of the GA/Commercial Aircraft, ok. But KTYS is not just Commercial/GA. There is an ANG base with 6-10 KC135's there. They also get a LOT of other Military A/C there so on any given day there are anywhere from 2-10 departures of F-18's, F-15's or other VERY loud fighter jet A/C. I live a touch more then 2.5 miles away and I can still hear the Military AC CLEARLY when I am taking a shower in my apartment. Not to mention that the days KC-135's are NOT working the pattern are the exception, and while MOST of them have the CFM 56 upgrades, some don't. Either way; describing them going over your house as quiet is questionable.

Now, compared to KMIA, KATL, or KORD; KTYS is a dreamland, but don't think for a second that you are going to live aywhere within 3 miles of it and call it 'quiet'.

Footnote: I VERY rarely hear fighters LATE at night.
Large jet traffic has reduced significantly at TYS over the last 10 years. Delta, USAir, American, United all used to have large jets and virtually all of their flights now are flown by smaller jets. A lot of the noise has to do with where you live in relation to the runways and flight paths. Your apartment Ted is in a different location than where the OP is wanting to purchase a home. I think that the OP is smart in researching the area prior to moving near the airport. Of course, the term quiet is relative, we are after all talking about a major airport.

On a personal note Ted, you always seem to take issue in one way or another with my posts. It has not gone unnoticed.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I do not know specifically about McGee but I live right under the flight path for Tri-Cities air port. About the same amount of air traffic for both air ports as they are both regional and military uses both for training (we have the C-17's, which are huge, use the Tri-Cities longest run way to practice "touch and goes" ) Sure we hear them, but it is not like living next to a rail road track for noise. It isn't like they rattle the house or anything. I kinda like hearing them. However you have to remember that McGee is an air force base and they are the largest re fueling base in the US so they have the KC-135 that carries nothing but fuel to do in air refuels. SO....... I would suggest sitting around for the better part of a day and see if the noise bothers you.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 AM

Thanks so much SmokyMtnGal........I didn't know that the area wasn't in the flight path......wooohoooo!! With regard to Alcoa hwy, I too thought about that since everyone says that road gets riddled with traffic. But then again the housing stock in there is not really cheap but not real expensive either, so it is kind of confusing......Sometimes if you have a bad area the housing is somewhat inexpensive and there are only some areas in there that are. Something for thought......LOL

Old 01-06-2008, 11:31 AM

mbmouse, I didn't have a clue that McGee was an air force base, I thought it was just a small airport. Guess I need to do more homework, and ask more questions.....LOL Or should I say, good thing I asked!!!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Large jet traffic has reduced significantly at TYS... we are after all talking about a major airport.

On a personal note Ted, you always seem to take issue in one way or another with my posts. It has not gone unnoticed.
Ok, Historically speaking you have me there in spades. What I know about the HISTORY of KTYS is darn near nothing. I will say that under the flight path versus astride the flight path makes a little bit of a diference when the noise in question is being produced at the throttle up phase. That being said, I have nothing personal against you. You just must have happened to hit a few of my touchstones and I'm sorry if it seems like I'm on a Vendetta against you. I don't keep score on these things, I only make my counter points as I see them then move on. Anyone taking this or any other site on the web personally is making a mistake, and I refuse to be considered in that lot. I make my points with passion, but as soon as I lock my computer or turn it off , it's over: time to face my own stark realities.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucandoit View Post
I thought it was just a small airport.
Small is relative.

If you want to see small; go to the Montvale Airpark (TN87).
Go to MCO, KATL, KMIA, or KORD, and KTYS looks like TN87. Then again, look at the volume of Military A/C not BASED @ KTYS and their traffic rates compared to KMIA, and KTYS is massive.

KTYS is a good Airport, I hope more people don't figure that out so long as I'm near the flight paths. Then again more planes=more pictures of planes so what can I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville