Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times

Advertisements

And the rates went back up a half point or more yesterday late afternoon due to the bond rate going so low. Man, CRAZY times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 04:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
But they are most likely going to lower them again I believe. Also, if Congress passes raising the caps on certain loans (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac) from $417,000 upwards to $525K in high cost areas then I might just be inclined to list my house for sale again. I wonder what this areas cap would be? Hopefully at least $500K. These indeed are interesting times!

Old 01-24-2008, 04:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
But they are most likely going to lower them again I believe. Also, if Congress passes raising the caps on certain loans (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac) from $417,000 upwards to $525K in high cost areas then I might just be inclined to list my house for sale again. I wonder what this areas cap would be? Hopefully at least $500K. These indeed are interesting times!
Aha! Perfect timing.

I just finished reading an article that says that they are about to raise the cap to $625,000, and it would be for one year.

Deal a boon to higher-priced housing markets - Real estate - MSNBC.com

Also, I think Bernake will lower the interest rates, again. I don't necessarily agree with this, though. In the long run, the inflation could skyrocket and we could be in a worse mess than before.

Once again, as MBMouse and I both agree, until we start producing and become less reliant on other countries for our products we will be forever in this catch-22.

When that happens, everyone will be able to buy a house, invest in the stock market, etc.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Aha! Perfect timing.

I just finished reading an article that says that they are about to raise the cap to $625,000, and it would be for one year.

Deal a boon to higher-priced housing markets - Real estate - MSNBC.com
I think the $625K is possibly a mistake and there was an error in the release. I heard it earlier then I heard that the amount was a mistake and it is actually higher!
Congress, Treasury Announce Deal on Tax Rebates - Politics and Government * US * News * Story - MSNBC.com
I will be happy either way as my house is priced such that with someone putting 20% down they will be over the $417K max amount so I welcome any higher amount. Time to get de-cluttering and de-personalizing again soon possibly! Yep, I agree, this may backfire but hopefully this will allow home prices to go back up. There are lots of arguments that this won't help the lower priced homes. But, I think it is up to interpretation.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:11 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,558 times
I think the Fed and the government keep making poor choices to accommodate people who made even poorer choices. All this bad decision making is causing lots of you-know-what to hit the fan and even people who made good choices are now getting spattered. Factor in global repercussions, worldwide panic, kneejerk reactions and dire predictions, and the whole planet is getting spooked. There are no easy fixes, no clear direction and it's hard to imagine what new asset bubble might bail us out this time.

I'm just going to hunker down, never sell my house, convert all my dollars to gold coins, bury them under my rose bushes and learn to speak Chinese while I wait for the world, now tilting on its axis, to right itself. This, too, shall pass, and people will always need homes to live in.

I just hope that we never stop making soft drinks, chips, fast food and movies. They're the only things we still produce that the world wants.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:33 PM

GBH - I started laughing when I read your post because while what you said is scary I had to have a nervous laugh! I read your post to my DH (we're sitting here at the kitchen table drinking tequila sunrises and eating port wine cheese and crackers). He said "it's true" followed by a "she's cute".

Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 PM

GBH says it, so I guess it makes it true.

I go to sleep watching CNBC. I wake up and turn it on. I run martetwatch all day.

The government is throwing bad money after bad.

I plan on sticking with my original plan. Keep cash handy, and the rest in a local bank. My inheritance is in the same place.

I wish I had the means to buy gold when it was affordble, but it is too high to buy now. Brazilian stocks are looking good right now.

This country is so misguided, trying to prop up the whole mess when there is no foundation to lay it on.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:18 PM

Here's something I've needed to address for a very long time.

I've read over and over that the local housing market is immune because there was never a bubble here.

True. There was never a bubble. However, there was a decent influx of people that have moved here in the last couple of years. And there was a bit of over construction in anticipation of that continued influx. There was also a bit of price inflation because of that anticipation.

Of course, the stampede never really came, did it? It got cut off just as it began.

Most of these people, planning on moving here, didn't get here because they couldn't sell their house. Some bought here and still had a house to sell in their over-inflated market.

And what does Knoxville offer besides not having a true housing bubble?

A booming economy?

Lots of jobs with great pay?

Exactly. That was the problem with this area all along. They were betting on retirees that now can't sell their homes from where they are.

And here we sit.

And that is Knoxville in a nutshell.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Cool Straighten out the country! I can't straighten out myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
GBH says it, so I guess it makes it true.

I go to sleep watching CNBC. I wake up and turn it on. I run martetwatch all day.

The government is throwing bad money after bad.

I plan on sticking with my original plan. Keep cash handy, and the rest in a local bank. My inheritance is in the same place.

I wish I had the means to buy gold when it was affordble, but it is too high to buy now. Brazilian stocks are looking good right now.

This country is so misguided, trying to prop up the whole mess when there is no foundation to lay it on.
And, then there of those of us who just don't understand all of the ins and outs to begin with. Thankfully, hubby does, but I WANT to. Everyone should be able to take care of their own interests these days.

I am getting quite an education from all of you, but I sure hope there isn't a quiz on Friday!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM

Well, Miss Gemthornton, Miss Hiknapster didn't inform you, because of the nature of the situation, but the fact is that there is a pop quiz, right now. No. You cannot look in your books. Put them under your seats, please. And no looking at your neighbor's paper.

For those not in the "know," MissGemthornton is a teacher, and I always wanted to do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville