Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:12 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,222,370 times

Advertisements

Funny thing about Jack in the Box tacos! I'm also from southern CA and know my way around East LA, and tacos. But Jack in the Box tacos have a very unique flavor. Very greasy, and not at all what I would call a good taco. However, whenever I go to Nashville, I will stop in and grab a couple. For me, its not the taco experience, its more of a taste flash back experience.

Each time I go back to CA I have to have an In & Out burger, fries, and shake, and go to Tommy's and get the double chili burger, and maybe a chili tamale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 01:04 PM

11,023 posts, read 9,656,460 times
Northern CA people will most likely remember Jimboy's Tacos...mmm, greasy but good. They reminded me of my mom's tacos. We have found a couple pretty good Mexican places here in Lenoir City and Vonore that we frequent. Not quite the same as our CA places, but good in their own way. I'd like to see more places here with fresher ingredients, more veggies, more broiling, roasting and grilling, but I'm not going to say "Gee I wish it was like my old state" Un-unh, no way!

Old 04-23-2015, 01:20 PM

363 posts, read 478,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
but I'm not going to say "Gee I wish it was like my old state" Un-unh, no way!
I would cry if Knox turned into CA because then I wouldn't know where to go then!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,117,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Northern CA people will most likely remember Jimboy's Tacos...mmm, greasy but good. They reminded me of my mom's tacos. We have found a couple pretty good Mexican places here in Lenoir City and Vonore that we frequent. Not quite the same as our CA places, but good in their own way. I'd like to see more places here with fresher ingredients, more veggies, more broiling, roasting and grilling, but I'm not going to say "Gee I wish it was like my old state" Un-unh, no way!
I guess that you are talking about Vonore and Lenoir City.

In Knoxville, you can try Knox Mason, Northshore Brasserie, Stock & Barrel, The Plaid Apron, Shuck, Oli Bea's (so far, just breakfast), Echo, Hard Knox Pizza, Tupelo Honey, Yassin's Falafel House, brown bag, Five Bar, Just Ripe, Holly's, Nama, Not Watson's, Cru, Bistro at the Bijou, The Icon (in the Sunsphere!), Ichiban (don't let the website fool you, it's authentic), The Crown and Goose, The Grill at Highland's Row,
and Bistro by the Tracks.

This is not an exhaustive list, by any means. I'm sure I'm missing other great restaurants that serve wonderful, fresh, often local ingredients. For that, I profusely apologise.

Sure enough, I just thought of two more. They are really pubs, but they still use quality - and often local - ingredients.

http://clancystavernknoxville.com/

http://www.sapphireknoxville.com/

Last edited by hiknapster; 04-24-2015 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: To add additional listings.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:55 PM

9 posts, read 9,585 times
Thank you for that list, Hiknapster! I'm going to print it out and keep it. For breakfast and lunch we like First Watch in Turkey Creek. I also liked Tupelo Honey when a friend took me there for lunch. I'd be interested in knowing the name of a good Chinese restaurant.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:02 AM

11,023 posts, read 9,656,460 times
Yes, I was talking about Lenoir city and Vonore. We don't eat in Knoxville very often, but thanks for the list of great places to try. I like First Watch also. I am told that Seasons in Turkey Creek is very good also and have been wanting to try it.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,295,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soCalsoFar View Post
OK, I lurk a lot and never post since we still have at least two years before we move. I am sorry, but Jack in the Box tacos? - Really? In the land of 10,000 taco shops? I always thought they made even Taco Bell taste gourmet.

Sorry, I will go back to being quiet again
You will note I did say my wife liked them.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I guess that you are talking about Vonore and Lenoir City.

In Knoxville, you can try Knox Mason, Northshore Brasserie, Stock & Barrel, The Plaid Apron, Shuck, Oli Bea's (so far, just breakfast), Echo, Hard Knox Pizza, Tupelo Honey, Yassin's Falafel House, brown bag, Five Bar, Just Ripe, Holly's, Nama, Not Watson's, Cru, Bistro at the Bijou, The Icon (in the Sunsphere!), Ichiban (don't let the website fool you, it's authentic), The Crown and Goose, The Grill at Highland's Row,
and Bistro by the Tracks.

This is not an exhaustive list, by any means. I'm sure I'm missing other great restaurants that serve wonderful, fresh, often local ingredients. For that, I profusely apologise.

Sure enough, I just thought of two more. They are really pubs, but they still use quality - and often local - ingredients.

Clancy's Tavern - Knoxville

Sapphire A Modern Bar and Restaurant | Gay Street in Downtown Knoxville TN
Palanchos in Seymour is good as well.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
I would cry if Knox turned into CA because then I wouldn't know where to go then!
Perish the thought.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Funny thing about Jack in the Box tacos! I'm also from southern CA and know my way around East LA, and tacos. But Jack in the Box tacos have a very unique flavor. Very greasy, and not at all what I would call a good taco. However, whenever I go to Nashville, I will stop in and grab a couple. For me, its not the taco experience, its more of a taste flash back experience.

Each time I go back to CA I have to have an In & Out burger, fries, and shake, and go to Tommy's and get the double chili burger, and maybe a chili tamale.
Acquired tastes for sure. I do miss a few pizza places and definitely a LOT of Mexican restaurants in CA, but there are some good local restaurants here to make up for it. Then of course there is my diet .... sooo I now eat mainly at home. The up side is my wallet is getting fatter and my waste ...... far less so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville