Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 06:41 AM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 534,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I am a conservative Christian , and never realized dressing a certain way (hipster)or style defines your political thought process? If you're statement is really "I don't want to move where there are liberals" well that's different.
Where I work in nyc is home to Hillsong Church. They ain't liberals, but sure look like hipsters to me.
Just sayin'
Okay. First off happy Easter, it's 5:33am here so I am omw out soon to church. Secondly, hipsters are "counter culture" and are usually into alternative/artsy stuff, vegetarianism, coffee houses, other wierd stuff etc. it's not just liberals I would like to get away from. Knoxville is in Eastern Tennesee, there is a certain image that goes along with Appalachia, a lot of people think that's a negative stereotype..but for me it's positive. I want to be around simple folk. Hipsters and alternative types don't really fit into that. I want to live in a place where the community at large would generally be uncomfortable and intolerant of "alternative", I can move anywhere in the country...I'm trying to find the place for me. I like appalachia's demographics, and it's reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
FYI the secular community is growing here. There were 2 secular groups that have expanded to 5 and they are becoming more active in the community which is a good thing to show that freethinkers are "good people" too.
There are groups for secular people?

I mean we can agree to disagree, I know our government is secular but I want somewhere that is culturally very churchy. It's just not something I want to be around. I want to be in the kind of place where religion is a topic talked about. People complain on here about how religious the south is and that's the kind of place I want.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:52 AM

6,337 posts, read 11,514,279 times
Of course we have secular concerts, lots of them, I think the music scene is one of Knoxville's drawing points. But no one will force you to attend. There are breweries and fashionable shopping.

I get the impression from other threads that you want a place where intolerance and bigotry are celebrated. That ain't us. (note: cross-posted and now you confirm what I suspected).

And since you are not familiar, Appalachian culture tends towards tolerance. I have noticed my neighbors who are the most culturally Appalachian are the least likely to attend church. They may be religious, but are not churchy.

I thought you might be OK in the suburbs but that is where most of the ethnic restaurants and international markets are found. And there are many. UT and ORNL have long attracted international folks from all over the world.

You said in other threads you don't want to live in the city, now you say you do. I smell a troll.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Of course we have secular concerts, lots of them, I think the music scene is one of Knoxville's drawing points. But no one will force you to attend. There are breweries and fashionable shopping.

I get the impression from other threads that you want a place where intolerance and bigotry are celebrated. That ain't us. (note: cross-posted and now you confirm what I suspected).

And since you are not familiar, Appalachian culture tends towards tolerance. I have noticed my neighbors who are the most culturally Appalachian are the least likely to attend church. They may be religious, but are not churchy.

I thought you might be OK in the suburbs but that is where most of the ethnic restaurants and international markets are found. And there are many. UT and ORNL have long attracted international folks from all over the world.

You said in other threads you don't want to live in the city, now you say you do. I smell a troll.
You're right..total troll! You got me!

I was under the impression that it was a big town, not a city.

I didn't know you guys had a big music scene, of course there are secular concerts but I don't want a city that is known for that. I don't want a trendy place. Why would I move across the country for more of the same crap?

Old 04-05-2015, 07:17 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,899,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
Knoxville is in Eastern Tennesee, there is a certain image that goes along with Appalachia, a lot of people think that's a negative stereotype..but for me it's positive. I want to be around simple folk. Hipsters and alternative types don't really fit into that. I want to live in a place where the community at large would generally be uncomfortable and intolerant of "alternative", I can move anywhere in the country...I'm trying to find the place for me. I like appalachia's demographics, and it's reputation.

I want somewhere that is culturally very churchy. It's just not something I want to be around. I want to be in the kind of place where religion is a topic talked about. People complain on here about how religious the south is and that's the kind of place I want.
Knoxville seems to fit the conservative aspect, but the religious side is going to be a stretch. It is bible belt certainly, but it seems like religion isn't discussed as much as some other southern areas.

It feels like a small city. Asheville feels more like a large town to me.

The downtown area was eerily devoid of people except for a handful around campus. From what I'm told it's often this way unless there's a concert or festival.

It seemed like most people stick to the burbs there and go to chain restaurants that double as a sports bar. You know, over priced food that's usually okay with lots of big screen TVs around type of places.

The things you have to like or at least be okay with are the color orange (it's the school/team colors), college students, and college football.

I really didn't see any hipsters when I was there. A few artists in residence types. The Asheville hippy vibe was absent as well. For some reason it felt more like an Eastern city in the north than it did a southern one.

If I was to pick a smaller southern city that felt LESS religious I might pick Knoxville.

Have you looked at Charlotte yet?

It's a bit on the generic side, but the religious influence is felt more there. Lots of traffic on Sundays. They have mega churches where everyone kind of gathers together as an event if that's your thing. The feel is northern meets southern. A small downtown with lots of nodes you have to drive to. Personally I found it to be too much driving, but then again I'm not that fond of driving in the first place.

People there are reasonably normal. The artsy types and most of the college kids in general are outside of the city.

Has a really nice library and stuff for the kids to do if those are interests. Also has NASCAR and some pro sports. A little cheaper cost of living than Asheville.

Not sure if you can stand the weather, but I'm sure you could find a place in Texas that would be close without having to sacrifice amenities.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Knoxville seems to fit the conservative aspect, but the religious side is going to be a stretch. It is bible belt certainly, but it seems like religion isn't discussed as much as some other southern areas.

It feels like a small city. Asheville feels more like a large town to me.

The downtown area was eerily devoid of people except for a handful around campus. From what I'm told it's often this way unless there's a concert or festival.

It seemed like most people stick to the burbs there and go to chain restaurants that double as a sports bar. You know, over priced food that's usually okay with lots of big screen TVs around type of places.

The things you have to like or at least be okay with are the color orange (it's the school/team colors), college students, and college football.

I really didn't see any hipsters when I was there. A few artists in residence types. The Asheville hippy vibe was absent as well. For some reason it felt more like an Eastern city in the north than it did a southern one.

If I was to pick a smaller southern city that felt LESS religious I might pick Knoxville.

Have you looked at Charlotte yet?

It's a bit on the generic side, but the religious influence is felt more there. Lots of traffic on Sundays. They have mega churches where everyone kind of gathers together as an event if that's your thing. The feel is northern meets southern. A small downtown with lots of nodes you have to drive to. Personally I found it to be too much driving, but then again I'm not that fond of driving in the first place.

People there are reasonably normal. The artsy types and most of the college kids in general are outside of the city.

Has a really nice library and stuff for the kids to do if those are interests. Also has NASCAR and some pro sports. A little cheaper cost of living than Asheville.

Not sure if you can stand the weather, but I'm sure you could find a place in Texas that would be close without having to sacrifice amenities.

Thanks. The thing with Texas is demographics if you know what I mean, same with Charlotte. I like the demographics of east TN. Texas is too..diverse

Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,899,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
Thanks. The thing with Texas is demographics if you know what I mean, same with Charlotte. I like the demographics of east TN. Texas is too..diverse
So basically white?

Hmmm, let's see white, conservative, religious, decent weather, and a reasonable cost of living...

How about Parkersburg or Wheeling, West Virginia?

Smaller to mid-sized areas with nature near by.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
So basically white?

Hmmm, let's see white, conservative, religious, decent weather, and a reasonable cost of living...

Thank you!
I am looking into those now!

Old 04-05-2015, 09:13 AM

745 posts, read 1,711,791 times
Quote:
So basically white?

Unless one doesn't mind colder temps with snow, decent weather would seem to be a stretch for both locations, not to mention, Wheeling isn't very scenic.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:14 PM

363 posts, read 478,497 times
Yeah, based on what I'm reading, Knoxville isn't for you. It's conservative but you clearly will have issues with the demographics, even if they do share the same political/religious views.

Last edited by onetoughkitty; 04-05-2015 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Spelling typo

Old 04-05-2015, 04:34 PM

37,754 posts, read 40,839,576 times
Do some research about the best place in Tennessee to find a job in the field you like and then research the places within a comfortable commuting distance from that place that meet your other wants/needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville