U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:34 PM

9 posts, read 24,436 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to Knoxville with my mother-in-law. While we'll probably settle in the burbs (kids ya know), she's looking a little deeper into Knoxville. She's still pretty young and is used to nice older communities with diverse shops, funky stores, coffee shops, and book stores, etc. Schools don't matter to her and a small house would be just fine. Hopefully, low crime, and some gentrification would be nice. Is there a "bohemian" type neighborhood in Knoxville? In Sacramento, its called Midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 08:13 AM

331 posts, read 618,199 times
Oak Ridge might be a good fit for her.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 5 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,047,160 times
inave, please don't take this the wrong way, but I just can't resist!

A town slapped together with government housing in the 40s for the purpose of making nuclear weapons does not speak "Bohemian" to me.

Honestly, Knoxville doesn't, either.

Fourth and Gill is slightly gentrified, but I wouldn't call it "Bohemian," either.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 AM

133 posts, read 259,514 times
Sequoyah (sp) Hills across from Homberg (see Sutherland ave) might be a possibility, its kind of close to everything

Unlike some areas that are in the middle of everything and close to nothing

Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 AM

331 posts, read 618,199 times
Hey, Hik, I would NEVER take offense at anything anyone said about OR. It just seems DH and I are in the minority of wanting OUT! Most others seem to love it here. There are some conveniences but not enough to keep us.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM

9,094 posts, read 21,736,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
Hey, Hik, I would NEVER take offense at anything anyone said about OR. It just seems DH and I are in the minority of wanting OUT! Most others seem to love it here. There are some conveniences but not enough to keep us.
I don't blame you. I used to live in Oak Ridge, too. Not my cup of tea at all.

But back to the original post, I'm afraid Knoxville doesn't really have anything like midtown Sacramento (or midtown Atlanta, midtown Memphis, midtown Nashville, etc.). I agree with hiknapster, the closest thing would be maybe the 4th and Gill neighborhood, but it doesn't have any coffee shops or funky shops, just graying hippies and college students in renovated Victorian cottages and a few Gothic mansions.

Actually, the Old City might be something to check out, although it's maybe a little more Yuppiefied than you're looking for.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 AM

87 posts, read 290,217 times
Default Oak Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
Just curious -

What do you not like about Oak Ridge? This is the FIRST post I've read where someone doesn't like Oak Ridge...

We are currently living in California and are seriously considering a move to Oak Ridge. We'd like to hear the good and the bad.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 5 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,047,160 times
You might want to put "Oak Ridge" and "Oak Ridge National Laboratory" up in the search area above.

You'll probably find quite a few of my gems!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM

812 posts, read 764,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
inave, please don't take this the wrong way, but I just can't resist!

A town slapped together with government housing in the 40s for the purpose of making nuclear weapons does not speak "Bohemian" to me.

Honestly, Knoxville doesn't, either.

Fourth and Gill is slightly gentrified, but I wouldn't call it "Bohemian," either.
OK Hik, I think you might be buying into some interesting 'stories' that are altering your perception of Oak Ridge as unsuitable. Now I'm not going to argue about how much radiation is around there as I don't carry a gieger counter with me to work. BUT as the Oak Ridge area seems to very nice to me (some areas have VERY new housing) and the school system is just as good if not better then Maryville's.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 PM

133 posts, read 259,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
OK Hik, I think you might be buying into some interesting 'stories' that are altering your perception of Oak Ridge as unsuitable. Now I'm not going to argue about how much radiation is around there as I don't carry a gieger counter with me to work. BUT as the Oak Ridge area seems to very nice to me (some areas have VERY new housing) and the school system is just as good if not better then Maryville's.

Just after college I worked for Bechtel cleaning up the staorage sight for the Manhattan project -- scary stuff, don't eat the fish

I will agree with the part about the school system. They make sure to have a high level of teacher in the OR school system - It is one of their selling points to get the engineers to relocate with their families. My father worked out there for 33 yrs before retiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville