U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-17-2008, 09:15 AM

127 posts, read 271,584 times
Default What are the "quaint towns"?

Around knoxville? I have been looking and can't find what I'm looking for so for those that live in the area or know the area please help me out here. I'm looking for the small town feeling with the quaint downtown area, town square,etc.. Is there any towns like this close to knowville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-17-2008, 10:09 AM

8,751 posts, read 19,478,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_dreamin' View Post
Around knoxville? I have been looking and can't find what I'm looking for so for those that live in the area or know the area please help me out here. I'm looking for the small town feeling with the quaint downtown area, town square,etc.. Is there any towns like this close to knowville?
Try Kingston, Harriman, Clinton, Dandridge, Loudon, Sweetwater

Unread 01-17-2008, 09:00 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,375,390 times
I thought Clinton was lovely. We definitely would've considered Clinton if there had been more land for sale there, since we're looking to build one day.

But as destiny would have it, now Kingston has a special place in my heart!

Unread 01-17-2008, 09:06 PM

51 posts, read 126,772 times
Sweetwater is definately a quaint town and so is Madisonville. It has an older downtown area but yet it is right off of a 4 lane Hwy which has a wide array of retail establishments (including a Super Walmart!)

Unread 01-18-2008, 04:16 AM

127 posts, read 271,584 times
Thanks, I looked all these up and you're right they're all quaint looking, I'm trying to find the closest one to Knoxville, I think it would be clinton? I really like sweetwater,kingston and dandridge the best though. Of those 3 which has the best schools, do any of you know?

Unread 01-18-2008, 06:41 AM

133 posts, read 238,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_dreamin' View Post
Thanks, I looked all these up and you're right they're all quaint looking, I'm trying to find the closest one to Knoxville, I think it would be clinton? I really like sweetwater,kingston and dandridge the best though. Of those 3 which has the best schools, do any of you know?

The vice principal from our middle school lives in Kingston and his children attend there. Not sure if this is representative or not. But if you add in the 4th(Clinton) - go to Clinton.

Unread 01-18-2008, 08:35 AM

3,454 posts, read 4,375,390 times
Keep in mind Knoxville is big. You need an address in knoxville to figure out what's closer. To drive from one end of knoxville to the other, I think it's a 45-minute trip in itself (experts, please correct me if I'm wrong!)

We bought in Kingston, but not in the city itself; we're 14 miles out of the center of town, on the Loudon border. Our property is about 35 min from the office parks in west knox area.

Unread 01-19-2008, 04:47 AM

12,080 posts, read 16,330,723 times
I agree with what has been posted here. However, there are other wonderful quaint towns a little further out from Knoxville. Lots to choose from in this state!

Unread 01-21-2008, 07:51 AM

592 posts, read 1,216,181 times
Cumberland Gap is certainly "quaint".

Unread 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,199 times
Default Love Loudon

not as far as sweetwater or madisonville. Has a great courthouse square and new businesses coming back to 'down town.' check out Mark's Downtown Diner and Tic-Toc Ice Cream (set to reopen for the season in February.) There's also the Carmichael Inn - tasty food and coffee. They've even renovated the theater and have live concerts about once a month. There are two gift shops, a bank, a gym and a florist. Come down to Loudon during the Smokey Mountain Fiddler's Convention or during the Hwy 11 yard sale. I tell my friends in Los Angeles that I live in Mayberry. I love it there.
Hope to see you there soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville