Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 AM

358 posts, read 999,117 times

Advertisements

Aren't insurance just full of heart? Praying for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 01:30 PM

592 posts, read 2,133,949 times
I'm very sorry to hear that the PET-Scan was denied.

Needless to say, I'm not a huge fan of Insurance companies. I was lucky enough to get a PET when I was diagnosed, but I think some strings were pulled on my behalf.

My thoughts are with you. Being a cancer survivor, I can say that at least part of the battle is keeping a positive attitude. If you or your loved one have any questions, I'd be happy to try and help.

Did I miss what form of cancer this is? I absolutely loathe that disease.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 AM

96 posts, read 356,605 times
Just got back on today after several days being at the hospital with my sister. I spent every night with her and she came home saturday evening. The bad news is the cancer was covered in her uterus, which he removed and it was also in the lymph nodes, also removed. He could not remove the other mass of cancer it was to close to the bladder. He is going to start chemo next week to try and shrink the tumor if not he will have to operate again to remove it. We don't know if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body but it had spread to all parts of the female organs. She is doing really well considering all she's been through so far. I realize the battle has just begun and we have a long road ahead of us. She broke down and cried last night saying she was going to lose her hair and eyelashes, it really hasn't all sunk it with her yet. I guess we are all still in shock. She also realizes that they are not going to hold her job for her after 10 weeks, that is hurting her so badly. She loves her job so much. She will lose her insurance but the cancer cordinator at St Mary's said they would get her on Tenn-Care. She won't be able to work while getting chemo and she's worried about her bills. After chemo she will start radiation theraphy. I will know more about the chemo on thursday when I take her back to her doctor. mjb62676, I'm worried about her keeping a positive attitude, is there something I can do to help her more? They have warned me the chemo is going to be very strong and she's going to be very, very sick and lose weight very fast...I just want to help her anyway I can. Thanks for the prayers everyone, you guys are the best in the world.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,212 times
Your family is in our thoughts, my friend. Best wishes and Godspeed to your sister for a full recovery; you're a wonderful sibling.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:40 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
I am too keeping her in my prayers. And you too. You, family and friends are what is going to bring her spirits back up when she gets down, which I imagine she will, part of being human. Just be the loving sister you are being now, that is so important. I don't know how or if she is religious in anyway but you might want to find her a copy of the "footprints" poem that she can read when she is feeling low. It helps.
I wish her a speedy cure and recovery and you the strength and patience needed to hold her up.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:12 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,212 times
Also, I know this was important to my Mom (and still is, since she's a breast cancer survivor twice over):

Please take her experience and learn from it (not just you, but family and friends too). Make sure you (and kids, grandkids) are up to date on routine exams and screenings. My Mom said that the peace of mind of knowing that we were all doing our best to stay healthy, was a comfort to her.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,178 times
Default Keep the spirit

Thoughts and prayers headed your way from FL.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:53 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Luv, there are very few words that anyone can give you just now to help to comfort you and your sister, but know that if there were, we would all be shouting them to the rooftops.

It is heart-breaking to see a loved one so sick and not be able to make it all better. You being with your sister and just loving her every minute is going to do more for you both than you will ever realize now.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both. I will be thinking of you and your dear sister each and every day. My heart goes out to you both. Please lean on your friends here whenever you need an ear to listen, a shoulder to lean on. We all care about you so much and want to help to make this easier for you.

Please give your sister lots of hugs from us here. Let her know that there are many prayers being said in her behalf. I believe that God is the source of all comfort, and that is what one needs at these dire times in one's life.

I hope that your sister's chemotherapy is quickly successful with the fewest possible side effects. May she have many years of good health ahead of her. You are a wonderful sister! We luv you!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Luv...... my thoughts and prayers are with you. Some items I would suggest for you to have on hand for your sister: lemon drops, vaseline or similar for her lips, a skull cap or similar (women get cold without their hair), plenty of available bottled water, the sense of taste changes dramatically - chemo patients still usually tolerate chicken noodle soup well, hand lotion, an iPod or similar (music is healing for the soul), loose fitting clothes that are soft to the skin, very comfortable shoes. If you can make sure that she puts on makeup first thing in the AM (self esteem). With the hysterectomy she is now full blown menopausal so don't forget that that in and of itself is an emotional issue. Some people like to journal and some don't. There are cancer support groups and these are invaluable. Don't let her isolate herself. You're a great sister. Your sister faces the battle of her life; draw on all resources to fight the good fight. Continued thoughts and prayers going out.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Luv, as for the money part, get the application for SSDI going asap. I've seen them approve it in as little as 2-3 months and they back pay to the start. This will at least get her some money coming in the door and starts the medicare process as well.
Good luck, I know this is a tough fight but you and your sister have to believe that you will beat this! We are helping a neighbor by taking care of her ranch who has Multiple Myloma which is normally incurable and somewhere in the high 90% fatal. She is fighting like heck after having been through stem cell replacement,chemo,radiation and bone marrow tests and she's been in remission for a year now so my best advice is Keep fighting and you will win!

Last edited by jimj; 02-12-2008 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville