Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 02:27 AM

4 posts, read 11,950 times

Advertisements

How do I deal with noise sensitive neighbors? I recently moved into a townhome not even a week ago and my next door neighbor has already complained about the amount of noise my sister and I been making.

Some background: my sister and I are in our 20s and are full time students with jobs so we don't sleep too early. My limited knowledge of my neighbor is that he and his wife/gf get up early to go to work. We live at the end of a unit and have only one next door neighbor and someone below us (apartment). The way the floorplan of our townhome and the one next to us is set up to where our rooms are next to each other. So my room would be beside the neighbors room and my sister's room would be beside the neighbor's room as well.

My sister and I usually turn in to our separate rooms around 11:00P-1:00A because we like to watch movies together and just talk (Note: we do not have a TV yet and have been watching our movies from our laptop and don't turn up loud because we do know it is late and our conversations are always JUST talking).

3 days after we moved in, our neighbor confronted me because he stated he has to wake up early for work and we were being loud. This was an understandable complaint because I let my puppy run around to see his new home late night. Since then, I put my puppy up at 9:00P and don't let him out until the next morning (which is killing me because he's in his crate for so long with the exception of going outside for bathroom).
Last night, I could hear my neighbor complain, bang the wall next to us, and curse to his wife/gf that he was going to come here and "do something about it" because my sister and I were talking and watching movies too late.

This is concerning me because we JUST moved here 6 days ago and are already not getting along with our neighbor. It's come to the point where I am afraid of confrontation because of his actions and what he said and am afraid of going to the bathroom late night out of fear he would get angry. I've read the noise ordinances for the city and we are well within our rights:

7:00A - 12:00A offending sound is equivalent to 65 dB(C) or impulsive sound of 80 dB(C).
12:00A - 7:00A offending sound is equivalent to 60 dB(C) or impulsive sound of 80 dB(C).

60 dB(C)= conversation, dishwasher
70 dB(C)= car, alarm clock, city traffic
80 dB(C)= noisy restaurant, vacuum, screaming child

I understand he needs his sleep but I honestly do not believe I am doing anything wrong with this being a townhome/apartment complex.. What am I to do if he complains to the landlord, keep complaining to them, or even call the cops? Please, help and thank you in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 04:46 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,320 times
As a noise sensitive person myself, I want to thank you for being aware and sensitive to your neighbors....it sounds like you are doing the best you can. If you're not playing the movies loud and not talking loud, I don't know what else you can do. It is unreasonable to tell you not to talk. I'm trying to understand your description - is your living room right next to his living room, or are the bedrooms next to his bedrooms? What room are you watching the movies in?

As far as your puppy, can you leave in the bathroom during the day (instead of a crate?)

Old 08-20-2015, 05:46 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,355,887 times
I wouldnt worry about it based on what youve said. Youve done enough to appease this annoying couple. If they are that sensitive they should move to a single family home or get earplugs. Ive had to do it before myself. Its not your fault that those walls seem to be paper thin.

If he continues to confront you by coming over I would tell him youre going to call the police.

If you dont like your puppy in a crate then dont crate him. You have that right in your own home which youre paying to live within. Dont let them cause you to not enjoy your own home. Youre not being unreasonable and you're also being more than considerate enough.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
As a noise sensitive person myself, I want to thank you for being aware and sensitive to your neighbors....it sounds like you are doing the best you can. If you're not playing the movies loud and not talking loud, I don't know what else you can do. It is unreasonable to tell you not to talk. I'm trying to understand your description - is your living room right next to his living room, or are the bedrooms next to his bedrooms? What room are you watching the movies in?

As far as your puppy, can you leave in the bathroom during the day (instead of a crate?)
The townhome is set up where my townhome is a mirrored Floorplan of their townhome. At least that is what I believe from looking at the windows and doors outside of the whole complex.
As for my puppy, he is a large breed and his crate is as wide and long as the .5 br we have.

I've decided to wait and see if this matter happens again JUST in case I was misunderstanding and they were arguing about something else. After one more, I will be confronting them either through a note or in person.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,320 times
OK good luck, I hope it works out. Perhaps you should start listening for any noise they make, and write it down along with the date and time, and also keep a log of when he talks to you / what he says.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 PM

Has is gone so far to as they would call the cops or tell management? If so, what did you do in that situation?

Old 08-20-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
OK good luck, I hope it works out. Perhaps you should start listening for any noise they make, and write it down along with the date and time, and also keep a log of when he talks to you / what he says.
Thank you very much, I will start having to do that from now on.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:01 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
I don't think you should watch anything in your bedrooms.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:59 AM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
I have never understood why people who are very sensitive to noise or picky about neighbors actions would live in an apartment complex or in a condo community at all. It seems like they must end up doing nothing but bickering and arguing with their neighbors. Doesn't make sense.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:21 AM

230 posts, read 430,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I have never understood why people who are very sensitive to noise or picky about neighbors actions would live in an apartment complex or in a condo community at all. It seems like they must end up doing nothing but bickering and arguing with their neighbors. Doesn't make sense.
Because they can't afford anything else. Because they have no or lousy credit. Because they do not have a steady income stream. Because they do not have a stable employment situation. Because they have limited life experience and don't understand their full range of options. Because they don't understand that absolute silence is one of the hardest things to come by anywhere, let alone an apartment complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville