Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM

33 posts, read 64,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There are back ways to go down there, and scenic drives along the way. There are multiple scenic highways that runs parallel to 75 (on both sides of it) going down toward Chattanooga. I would get a good highway map and check it out. Anything off the interstate will be more scenic. Also down near Tellico area there is another awesome waterfall called bald river falls. It is in the mountains off the Cherohala skyway, really its a diversion off the Cherohala. Huge beautiful waterfall, if you google it you will see what its all about. I did not mention it because I didn't realize your were headed further south, but its probably even a bit better than Ozone. If your into waterfalls there is a book that is sold called "Waterfalls of Tennessee", its a guide to hundreds of falls here in this state. Going to Chattanooga there are excellent historical things to see there. Chickamauga national battlefield is over the border in Georgia a couple of miles. Site of an important confederate victory. Also the Chattanooga battlefield (lookout mountain) is right there in the city (important northern victory), so if your into the war between the states its a great place to visit. Chattanooga's Tennessee aquarium is a top notch attraction. Rock city/ruby falls look like cheesey attractions and in a way they are but they are very good ones. As far as the Science and Energy museum in Oak Ridge I have heard it is good but have not been there myself. It is on my list of things to do, just have not gotten to it. If your interested in the Manhattan project then Id say you should make time to see it. You will run out of time before you run out of things to do in east Tennessee. There are more things to do than can be mentioned.
Thanks for very important info. Did my homework and I will take the mountain roads from Gatlinburg down to Chattanooga and come back via Rt. 27 to Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Map of Tennessee WaterFalls

Coming from NYC, Oak Ridge's museum may seem laughably small. It does describe what life was like in Oak Ridge, though, during that time. Actually, my dad is a NYC native and he liked it so you might, too. He hates too.
Museum size does not matter, quality counts. Some NYC or DC museums are large but have a little to offer, some are pure tourist traps. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are good for people from small towns. I have enough kitsch, crowds, traffic and noise on daily bases and hate it (wish I could move to TN tomorrow) I booked hotel in Gatlinburg mainly because of live street music and close proximity to few attractions (Cherokee and all nearby things)

Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 AM

213 posts, read 551,075 times
If you like waterfalls, then you should come back to Knoxville from Chattanooga via U.S. 127 instead of U.S. 27. At Pikeville take TN 30 to Fall Creek Falls State Park. The park has three large waterfalls one being the highest in the eastern US. It is definitely worth the detour. Tennessee State Parks: Fall Creek Falls

Old 06-18-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntim View Post
If you like waterfalls, then you should come back to Knoxville from Chattanooga via U.S. 127 instead of U.S. 27. At Pikeville take TN 30 to Fall Creek Falls State Park. The park has three large waterfalls one being the highest in the eastern US. It is definitely worth the detour. Tennessee State Parks: Fall Creek Falls
thanks for a tip,
if time permits I may do it
any waterfalls for sale? (asking just in case i hit lotto)

Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
If anyone's up for a road trip the Rhododendrons should be peaking at Roan Mountain outside Elizabethton. Also, Saturday is the Secret city festival in Oak Ridge.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Gay Pride Parade starts at noon, today. Festivities continue at World's Fair Park from 1 to 10 p.m.

http://knoxvillepridefest.org/

Old 06-23-2013, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 6,870 times
I will be in town house hunting this coming weekend and I'm trying to get out and about and enjoy the city.

Has anyone gone to the Meadow Lark festival at Ijams? I also enjoy wandering around downtown but was trying to do something different this time.

And I agree, y'all do have a great farmers market downtown on the weekends. Can't wait to go frequently.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgery Chica View Post
I will be in town house hunting this coming weekend and I'm trying to get out and about and enjoy the city.

Has anyone gone to the Meadow Lark festival at Ijams? I also enjoy wandering around downtown but was trying to do something different this time.

And I agree, y'all do have a great farmers market downtown on the weekends. Can't wait to go frequently.
No. I haven't been.

I'm glad you like the Market Square farmer's market. Everything has to be local and I think it makes a difference. I've lived in a couple of larger cities and their markets weren't as good as Knoxville's.

Metro Pulse seems to be a good resource for what is going on around town.

This is good, too.

http://www.knoxville.org/

Old 06-24-2013, 04:18 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,286 times
Hik is right, as usual! Metro Pulse is THE source for happenings all around the metro for that week. Pick it up when you visit at grocery stores, sidewalk boxes downtown, restaurants etc. You can also see it online at Metro Pulse: Local Knoxville, Tennessee things to do, movies, music, dining, nightlife, entertainment and tourist activities.. If reading on-line you may like to read the digital version which is easier to find events in than the site, IMO.

Here's the digital version of this week's copy...

Knoxville Metro Pulse

Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 AM

Is there a local beer worth trying?

p.s.
these are very helpfull links thnx
Visit Knoxville | The Official Site of Knoxville
Knoxville Metro Pulse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville