Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,355,353 times

Advertisements

I dont even recall which films I voted for anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 03:31 PM

The Clarence Brown Theatre opens its new season Sept 5th with "Noises Off."

Here's the full lineup and the official website:

Clarence Brown Theatre announces 2013-14 season » Knoxville News Sentinel

Clarence Brown Theatre | University of Tennessee Department of Theatre

Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 PM

Boomsday is this Sunday for those interested!

Boomsday 2013 - September 1st @ Neyland Drive and Volunteer Landing

Old 08-30-2013, 06:06 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,248,485 times
Saw "Noises Off" many years ago on Broadway. Wasn't that impressed. I'd like to see Spamalot.

Boomsday should be seen up-close at least once. I absolutely can't stand the people that show up to see it, though.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 PM

I love Boomsday. Its a great event that benefits downtown, and Knoxville, tourism. I havent been since 2004 (I think that was the year) so I'm excited to go this year. Family is coming in from NE TN so I have to decide which restaurant downtown to take them to for dinner.

I'm not sure which performance at the Clarence Brown we'll see, but we always see at least one. They're usually pretty good.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:25 PM

358 posts, read 998,889 times
Spent some time this morning at IJAMS Nature Center with the hubby and two grandsons and then walked the "Very Difficult" and "More Difficult" trails at the quarry. Had never done any of it before but really enjoyed it. Plan to return when weather is cooler and colors are changing.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:56 PM

Greek Fest continues into tomorrow. It as my first time going today and it was a lot of fun. Its inexpensive so please go and support this wonderful tradition!

GreekFest - Saint George Greek Orthodox Church

I suggest parking at West High School. We parked at the lower level of Western Plaza and it was really crowded. The school will offer more parking.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:27 PM

472 posts, read 514,662 times
We're (with a 9yr old) visiting Knoxville for 2-3 days in the middle of next month. Can you let me know what tourist spots you would recommend for families visiting knoxville. We love history, natural wonders or anything that will leave us awestruck. We aren't looking @ nightlife's or anything v adventurous.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM

257 posts, read 489,115 times
Default Knoxville Activities

The number one attraction in the area is Smoky Mountain National Park. If you like nature and especially hiking, you could spend all of your time there! There is a lot of information on-line on what to see and do.

Many people enjoy the Gatlinburg area which is very much a tourist area with all the usual attractions.

Market Square is a nice place to shop and eat, right in downtown.

I am sure others will provide some additional ideas.

Have Fun!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 11,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you're reading a lot of negative and very little positive about Knoxville. If you're referring to this forum, keep in mind that it's pretty much just 1 or 2 people who are saying negative things; the rest of us who post about the Knoxville area love it here and say so in our posts. Also keep in mind that the one person who seems to post nothing but negative posts about Knoxville happens to live here, so if it's really as bad as he says, surely he would've moved away by now.

At any rate, what kinds of activities do your parents enjoy? Knoxville certainly has a lot to do. We're close to the Smoky Mountains and to several large lakes.

Otherwise, I don't know that Knoxville offers any more or less to do than the other cities you mentioned; they all have museums, touring Broadway shows, live theater, historic neighborhoods, golf courses, outdoor festivals, large shopping malls, excellent medical care, etc.

Knoxville's crime rate is probably lower than the other cities you mentioned, particularly Charlotte and Nashville. But you can look up crime rates here at city-data.com and check out for yourself. There are some neighborhoods in Knoxville with more crime than others, of course. But over all, the crime rate here is pretty good for a big city.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is the airport situation. If your parents enjoy traveling, they might not want to live in Knoxville. While our airport is nice and is VERY easy to navigate, air fares are probably double what you'd pay out of Nashville or Raleigh. Charlotte generally has high fares, too, thanks to the near-monopoly of USAir there.
Hello,

I thoroughly enjoyed your post. My husband and I plan to move to Knoxville when I retire in a couple of years. We will be leaving the Washington, DC area and thought sof Knoxville. We plan to make several visits before leaving the Washington, DC area (2016) just to get a feel for the what Knoxville has to offer. We were there about 20 years ago when eldest son ran track at the University and we fell in love with the city and the people and the pace. Thank you for share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville