Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 04:52 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfinn View Post
If the move was the right decision. We're not able to visit before we move.
In reality you will not know the answer to this question until after you have moved and been there at least six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 AM

257 posts, read 489,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
We moved here from FL, it's kinda like night and day. Depends on the person and what you're wanting / needing though. This is the Bible belt, that doesn't suit everyone. It's just as beautiful as Florida, but it's a different kind of beauty. I think I'd be happier living somewhere else, just not sure where.
We are long time visitors to the area and moved to Maryville last July. I have read many comments like yours referring to this area as the Bible Belt. The area has conservative politics but it is not like people are always judging you and pressuring you to join their church.

We have lived six different places and are not impacted by living in the Bible Belt.

OP - best of luck with your decision!

Old 01-06-2016, 08:35 AM

138 posts, read 232,460 times
We moved to Chattanooga from Florida and it was a fantastic decision for us. We love the area and believe it is a great place to raise a family. We are retired however, when my children have children, I would highly encourage them to move here.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:09 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Moving from Florida to Tennessee is so common that there's a name for it. "Half-backs", as in moved halfway back to where they were from before they moved to Florida. We moved to TN from northern California and we love it here. I will never regret our decision to move here. That doesn't mean that you will feel the same. I can't possibly imagine moving to a place sight unseen, unless it was a forced move like in the military. Whether other people like it is pretty much irrelevant, since they may not be anything like you. Please ask specific questions we can answer for you.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Those answers won't really help you though, it depends on what they thought they were looking for when they moved here and whether or not their expectations were realistic for the area they moved to. Best thing you can do is research, research and research some more and then come here with any specific questions.
We have a regular poster who suggests reading local online newspaper articles or watch the news stories to gauge the things that are important to the local residents and see if they seem to line up with your own thoughts and opinions on things? I think that's a great start.
Politics and religion, if they are important to you will you want to fit in?
Check the weather and the temps every day and maybe the mold and pollen count too, if those things are important to you. How many cloudy days are too many?
Check out local festivals, concerts and other events, do they look like the sort of thing you would enjoy doing? Are they affordable?
What other things do you and your family do for fun and entertainment, are there plentiful opportunities to do those things here?
Do you have any special needs concerning healthcare or school that need to be looked at, insurance plans that may need to change? Gov't services you use? Are they available here?
Google the ads for local places, get an idea of what a typical trip to the hardware store, the grocery store, the movie theater will look like for your family$$$, if you like eating out check out menus and restaurants in the area, etc, etc, etc
This is such a wonderful post. When I moved here, over 10 years ago, I did all of these things and more. I also visited first. It is crazy not to visit before moving. There were a couple of towns that looked adorable online that I found were not quite the vibe I expected once I visited. You can visit on a shoestring budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
We are long time visitors to the area and moved to Maryville last July. I have read many comments like yours referring to this area as the Bible Belt. The area has conservative politics but it is not like people are always judging you and pressuring you to join their church.

We have lived six different places and are not impacted by living in the Bible Belt.

OP - best of luck with your decision!
I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Especially if they realize they are trading a few months of heat and humidity (TN has both, just a shorter span of time than FL) for far more cold. The cold of Winter reduces a lot of activities, even if you like snow, which we do not get much of, just cold (Note December was an exception this year,and very warm).
Florida is a big state. A lot of North Florida will be similar to a lot of East Tennessee in weather.

I lived in Southwest Florida for about nine years and I'm here to tell you that there is more to the feel of heat than temperature and humidity. It's the dewpoint. That's what makes the difference between very hot and gates-of-hell hot.

Also, if this person is originally from up north, the cold and snow is laughable compared to up there.

I think moving here, for me, was a great decision. It is DEFINITELY a better place to raise kids. compared to Florida. Generally, kids do not grow up too fast and they are far more respectful.

I have met people from Florida that didn't like it here. Some only had minor complaints about Florida, came here and decided that it wasn't for them. I think a lot of people that left Florida just after the housing bust may have been running from that scenario but didn't do a good job of researching this area. It isn't for everyone.

I left Florida when my daughter was five and she's about to turn 16. I don't regret that for a minute. However, in a few years, when she is out of high school, I may leave the area, depending on the jobs situation. The unemployment rate here is very good, but right now there are not a lot of jobs in my profession. It's the type of position where you typically have to go where there are openings.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Especially if they realize they are trading a few months of heat and humidity (TN has both, just a shorter span of time than FL) for far more cold. The cold of Winter reduces a lot of activities, even if you like snow, which we do not get much of, just cold (Note December was an exception this year,and very warm).
Speaking as a Floridian who moved to Texas, I'd say the cold is far less reducing in activities than the high heat. Aside from water activities, how can you enjoy 99 degrees, humid or dry? Besides, y'alls cold isn't that much anyway. What, 40s, 30s and 20s? That's easy to dress for. Me and my family love Tennessee in the winter, we would drive all the way from Miami to spend new years there, and go skiing in Gatlinburg and hiking in the Smokies

Old 01-23-2016, 03:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Speaking as a Floridian who moved to Texas, I'd say the cold is far less reducing in activities than the high heat. Aside from water activities, how can you enjoy 99 degrees, humid or dry? Besides, y'alls cold isn't that much anyway. What, 40s, 30s and 20s? That's easy to dress for. Me and my family love Tennessee in the winter, we would drive all the way from Miami to spend new years there, and go skiing in Gatlinburg and hiking in the Smokies
I love where I am at now, after a 3 year search (Originally from CA) BUT health issues make the cold a real problem. The heat and humidity of FL does not bother me. The effects of the cold are now a problem and we are looking to move to FL.

Central FL on probably the East Coast, though maybe the West coast.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:51 AM

59 posts, read 163,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfinn View Post
Looking in Knoxville and surrounding areas. The cold doesn't matter to us. We would be renting first then buying. Schools are very important. Living in Florida is hard to explain but it just not a great place to live raise a family. It's not beaches and theme parks. I saw many people posting they relocated here from Florida that's why I asked was it a smart move. We love the scenery the mountains the snow the outdoors. Better schools more opportunity.
Look for a place in West Knoxville that's south of Interstate 40 and on either of Interstate 140.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:19 PM

121 posts, read 162,244 times
We moved here from SWFL a couple of years ago. Only reason it took us that long is we had to wait out the recession due to the big down turn in the real estate market in Florida. We love Tennessee, the people, the scenery and the low cost of living. Is it for everyone? Of course not. You need to do your homework in regards to housing and employment before even thinking of moving anywhere. We visited many time and at different seasons of the years too. We wanted to make sure we would be ok with the climate and we are.

Living in Florida is not all what it's cracked up to be. It can be expensive no matter what some will tell you. Housing costs are very high in any of the coastal areas. Home owners insurance is VERY high in most areas then there is flood insurance which is required in many areas even inland areas.

As stated above Florida is a big state. North Florida is a very different place than South Florida. If I had decided to stay in Florida I would have moved to the northern part of the state. South Florida is become a total nut house as far as I am concerned. This includes both east and west coasts. The west coast use to be nice until the hoards descended and now it's just a smaller version of the east coast.

The best advice I can give is DO YOUR HOMEWORK and make several visits before making any big decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville