Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:58 AM

2,116 posts, read 6,791,147 times

Advertisements

I always forget about the TV Fair cause we've never gone....like you it's not really our thing. There was a big stink last year cause they didn't allow guns or weapons into the fair. Doesn't bother me either way.

Check out this page - 12th Annual Clinch River Spring Antique Fair | theantiquemarket.com
All the vendors you see in the photos, there's actually more than that. You never know what you'll find, but they have just about EVERYTHING. Even all the stores are open. Parking is complicated if you don't go early, but the festival and parking are both free, you have to find a bank or something to park at. There's one public restroom and it might run out of toilet paper LOL. They have some food vendors but there are no other activities (no kids stuff).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 06:37 AM

6,337 posts, read 11,516,219 times
my #1 choice would be Rossini festival, then Dogwood arts especially if you like crafts.

Choose the food festivals if you like the food. Greekfest is the most popular of the ethnic festivals. Ijams Park has an outdoor music festival towards the end of summer.

If you have an inner Hippie, visit Vestival. Well even if you don't - it has a good music lineup on two stages.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times
There will be food at Rossini. It's an Italian festival so, of course! The past several years, it's rained like the dickens during or before Rossini, so here's hoping it won't happen this time. In any event, the festival goes on rain or shine.

The History Fair is one of my favorites. I think it is very well done and I always enjoy it.

First Friday always has interesting things going on, rain or shine, hot, cold or in-between, so be sure and get downtown in the evening on the first Friday of the month.

And Saturday's farmer's market. I know I already wrote it, but I can't stress that enough.

And yes! Vestival is very cool.

Happy Holler usually has a festival.

Also:

Rhythm N Blooms Fest

Also, I've heard that Guy Marshall will be at Ijams Meadow Lark Music Festival this year!

We usually have at least a couple of film festivals, including one where all of the films are shot here and by mostly amateurs. You can show up and find some people to make a film with.

We have a comedy festival, too.

At one point, we show movies at Market Square. Also, the Tennessee Theater sometimes shows old movies. That theater is a jewel and everyone new should go out of their way to visit it. There are also great shows there and at the Bijou. Also, don't forget UT for free concerts as well.

By the way, if you are already in Knoxville, this is one of the prettiest springs I have ever seen, so enjoy!

Antique Festival, NJ? I grew up near one of the largest! In fact, probably the largest. I used to cover it and it's not unusual to rub elbows with Meryl Streep or Madonna.

https://brimfieldantiquefleamarket.com/

Old 04-07-2016, 03:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times
Here is an excellent rundown of festivals in the area. It's not comprehensive, but it's close!

Festivalpalooza: Our 2016 Knoxville Spring Festivals Guide - The Knoxville Mercury

Old 04-13-2016, 09:20 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,828,052 times
Knoxville is very close to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and all of the smaller towns which sit beside the park offer festivals of various kinds. The park itself has all kinds of year-round free or almost free activities if you enjoy history and nature (admission to the park itself is free).

You'll have to wait until next year if you're moving in July, but don't miss the synchronous fireflies at Elkmont Campground, in the park, which twinkle simultaneously for about two weeks in mid-June each year. You'll need dollar shuttle bus reservations to get to see them on the "official" nights (which vary slightly each year - check the park's website for more precise info.), but you may be able to drive right in yourself just before or just after the posted dates, and see them without having to ride the shuttle bus or pay a dollar fee or make reservations a year in advance!

Not really a festival, but an unforgettable, magical sight. It is also common to see deer, bears, and elk within the park, along with all kinds of birds and smaller animals. The spring wildflower season is spectacular there, as is the fall color.

Traditional music (English and Scottish, Irish, and Scots-Irish roots) is also big in this area - this music was the ancestor of country music. You are moving to an area which is extremely rich in festivals and other celebrations and outdoor activities. Check out Cherokee, Asheville, Franklin, and other nearby NC towns as well for weekend activities, and don't miss the Rhododendron Festival atop and at the base of Roan Mountain, a few hours to the east, also in June.

Maryville has a big fall "family reunion" gathering and festival, and activities go on continually in Cade's Cove within the park. Local antiques tend to be more rustic than elegant (with obvious exceptions), and can be found in all of these location. The annual fall Cherokee Carnival is not to be missed, and mid-June also sees Franklin's Taste of Scotland weekend. You can "mine" for native sapphires right outside of Franklin, too. The beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway runs from Cherokee to Asheville (and beyond), and also offers great outdoor activities and gorgeous mountain scenery.

This is also a rich area for traditional and more modern arts and crafts - visit the Craftmen's Loop drive just outside of Gatlinburg for a pretty drive with some outstanding items for sale by their makers, who are friendly, pleasant folks. I especially like the Alewine Pottery on the loop - their wares are decorated with impressions of native leaves and are both functional and beautiful. You can catch live, traditional mountain music here frequently, too. Additional potters and other craftspeople can be found throughout the area, especially in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, but you may have to wade through a bunch of commercial imports to get to the good stuff.

Enjoy your move, and enjoy your new home in Knoxville, and start lining up weekend excursions now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville