U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,488 times

Advertisements

My husband and I with our children relocated to from Palm Beach County to East TN. with plans on renting for a year and then buying a home in the Maryville area. We stayed w/friends in the Seymour area for awhile. Though when we got here school had already started and to put them in a city school you had to have a city address. So to get them going we put them in school in Sevier county so we ended up renting here also. I have looked east, west, south and north. I have been in every mall, poor neighborhoods to very expensive ones. We live in a real rural area (two gas stations) and I'm still not sure what I want. I have posted on this website before about "living and working" in sevier county. I thought I did alot of research and I actually had to stop reading these forums b/c it scared the hell out of me. So, here is the thing......
(I know who are regulars on this site or even anyone who knows anything about the area) are going to be shaking their head at me thinking "what the hell"? We came w/o jobs. ok...take it easy on me. First, in my defense we were promised that it would be no problem finding work for a electrician. (we also weren't prepared for the housing economy) no we aren't living in a bubble. I've been a stay @home Mom and figured I would get something part-time. We came w/a little money but we did start from scratch and it wasn't made in haste. We really want to be here but keep hitting dead-ends. Anyway, there is so much to discover and enjoy it's just a matter of getting up and changing your life and make the move. Sorry, this is so long, it's winter and I'm looking for any info. (any remarks are welcomed, but please be kind)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 PM

12,532 posts, read 18,233,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjaz View Post
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkslateblue]and I'm still not sure what I want.
This line here really spoke volumes to me. What do you want? What does your husband want and what does your family need? Visualize what you want your life to be and make it happen. You simply cannot ask others to answer this for you; as the answer will always fall short. Only you can fill your desires, as you are the one that knows them. I don't mean to sound all philosophical and mumbo jumbo but I truly believe in what I am saying.

The other thing I would like to ask is what is your fall back plan and at what point do you pull the trigger on that?

By the way, have you applied for a part time job at Ft Sanders Sevier Medical Center or Blount Memorial? They have part time openings from time to time and they do offer benefits to PT employees.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:16 AM

336 posts, read 776,382 times
I agree with SMG on really thinking about what you want, and may I add, praying for clarity on that issue.

My husband and I also came up here without jobs. We left the MS Gulf Coast right after Katrina hit, so the jobs we had down there weren't going to be up and running any time soon anyway.

It took 3 months of really searching and putting ourselves out there to find jobs that we wanted. And we found jobs within 2 weeks of one another, thank God. At times that 3 month waiting period was nerve-wracking, but we had sold our home before Katrina, and were fortunate to have the funds to take care of us. Believe me, though, I had visions of having to live in the car if we weren't able to find jobs.

The only real advice I can give in job hunting is for your hubby (and you, if need be) to get in touch with all the temp and hire agencies around, and to aggressively pursue all job leads. Can he take something in retail or something outside of his profession for a while? Can he work nights if necessary in those jobs? Would he be willing to take a job outside of his skill set with an organization so that he could eventually move into an electrician's position when it becomes available? And do you have a fall-back in case it is necessary? Just some things that we looked at when trying to find jobs. My DH finally got a job working nights and it was just last week, over 2 years later when he moved to day shift. Could you guys do that if necessary? Consider those kinds of questions and maybe broaden your job searches a bit so you can get a job. I've found that if you have a job already, employers are more comfortable hiring you, believing that you might actually stay in the area.

Praying for you, sweetie. I know how difficult this is.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 AM

22,742 posts, read 17,676,507 times
After Christmas, I would imagine it's not that easy to get a job in retail and, although not mentioned, I would also assume (but I'm not sure) that winter would be a tough time to get a job in places that make a buck off tourism (restaurants, hotels/motels, parks, sight-seeing places, etc.). Just thinking this is the time of year (winter) where there would be less jobs overall and more people looking for work. And if the housing market is in the dumper, and people can't move, I'd think home building has slowed, too, and people in that industry are without work.

While I don't see jobs in Tennessee, electrician jobs seem to be plentiful in the federal government in various locations in the US based on current open job announcements so it looks like that career is doing okay. Here's a link if you want to check them out:

USAJOBS - (http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/jobsearch.asp?sort=rv&vw=d&brd=3876&ss=0&customapp licant=15513,15514,15515,15669,15523,15512,15516,4 5575&q=electrician - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville