Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 PM

363 posts, read 479,639 times

Advertisements

As someone who is not white, in an interracial marriage, from California, I have had no problems here when it comes to the "rednecks" and the stereotype. I sincerely think people are just as laid back here, even with a church on nearly every corner, than the west coast. I really like that no one really pushes their agenda on you here as much as you think. Actually, it seems that I have less things shoved in my face here than I did back in CA, from girl scout cookies to salvation. I'm more worried about the snooty attitudes of people who come here thinking it's all lily white, country, farm land, uneducated, and churchy. Whether it's because they secretly hope it's like that or they're just stereotyping, who knows.

Last edited by onetoughkitty; 06-21-2016 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 01:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,163,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaxon View Post
Well said. Some of the responses were quite insightful giving you an idea of just what to expect from the very folks you’d like to avoid.

Anonymity brings out the “best” in “friendly” folks, huh?
We're a pretty good group of people that have taken a lot of time out of our lives for YEARS to respond to strangers that are looking for help. That we are dead honest is definitely a big plus. At least when you come on here you know that you're getting real answers. Anonymous? Probably not so much. I personally know, off the top of my head, two of the people on here. I've gone out of my way to check out an apartment complex for someone. I write enormous posts, complete with many links and occasionally photos in the hope that it will benefit someone. Heck, if you aren't a serial killer, I'll probably give you a guided tour if you ever come for a visit.

Here's the deal. I'm fiscally moderate, socially liberal and voted for Obama twice. I even worked on his first campaign even though I didn't do much. I go to a church. It's mainstream, but not at all. I'm from that bastion of liberalness: Massachusetts. I hate people that are ignorant on purpose, bully the downtrodden and are racist. I'm not saying people are all three things, I'm just giving you my list.

I'm here to tell you that Whoolie would have annoyed the heck out of me if I thought she was for real. If she is, she is a world class stereotyper. Just because someone has a gun, that doesn't make them a gun "nut." Sidenote: I'm not for gun restrictions, although I'm thinking now might be a good time to go back to restricting AK-47 types.

By the way, on this thread is people from here and all over. One of the most conservative is from Wisconsin or somewhere like that. We almost all respect each other and get along, just like the people in Knoxville do. I think that's what got everyone riled up. People here are used to living, working and even playing together no matter their beliefs. We don't think she would be a good fit, although she could work it out. You never know.

2mares: What a great summation of the people and neighborhoods in Tennessee.

onetoughkitty: I want to hug you! You've really caught on to how we roll here.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:43 PM

37,769 posts, read 40,907,997 times
Bernie Sanders only got 120,333 votes in the entire state of Tennessee.

These candidates all got more votes than he did: Trump 332,702; Clinton 245,304; Cruz 211,159; Rubio 180,989.

If politics is important to you, you are looking in the wrong state.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:49 PM

420 posts, read 1,531,559 times
7 people in my voting precinct in rural east TN voted for Bernie. My husband and I were 2 of those votes. Clinton didn't get that many votes in this precinct, either, although a lot more than 7!!!

This is overall a very red state, but with a few blue and purple counties and cities. Do your homework if this matters to you, OP and others.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedmont View Post
7 people in my voting precinct in rural east TN voted for Bernie. My husband and I were 2 of those votes. Clinton didn't get that many votes in this precinct, either, although a lot more than 7!!!

This is overall a very red state, but with a few blue and purple counties and cities. Do your homework if this matters to you, OP and others.
Well, you live in Ten Mile. What do you want? Not that anywhere in Tennessee is teeming with liberals, but Ten Mile?

Old 06-28-2016, 02:09 PM

420 posts, read 1,531,559 times
LOL! True, there are few people in Ten Mile. Maybe if the cattle had voted the outcome would have been different :-)

Old 06-29-2016, 06:30 AM

24 posts, read 57,999 times
This thread has a lot of information that seems to answer what you seem to be asking:

Possible move to Sevierville or Pigeon Forge

Old 06-30-2016, 05:35 PM

19 posts, read 31,673 times
Thanks again for all the responses. I assure you I am real. I am just as concerned about the conservative rich *******s where I currently live - the whole redneck (stereotype) thing isn't common here, but the equivalent on the opposite end of the spectrum seems to be. I was happiest in Seattle, LA area, and Ann Arbor MI - typically liberal areas - but can't afford them at the moment. Working for a non-profit means we don't earn enough. Tennessee is beautiful. And because I grew up in MI - near Detroit, no less - I may or may not have preconceived notions of southern living. I've been as explicit as I can while trying to explain my reasons without being offensive - I admit that I have preconceived notions. So for me, the south is a big question mark. Can I find a liberal college-town-type area around Knoxville? With a nice house under $160k? That's all I'm asking. And I AM taking notes, so thanks again.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:58 PM

2,537 posts, read 1,887,829 times
I moved to Georgia over 30 years ago from New Jersey. As a liberal, I often feel like a fish out of water in the south. However, you CAN find likeminded people......we had many well-attended debate watching parties for Sanders supporters. If you are dog lovers, you should be aware that Knoxville is particularly dog-friendly in large part due to the efforts of the founder of Radio Systems Corporation (Petsafe, Sportdog, Invisible Fence), which is headquartered in Knoxville. Tennesee is also offering free community college, which is very progressive. I will be moving my liberal self to Knoxville in 2018 to live near my liberal daughter, who moved there 2 years ago. Maybe we will start taking over. :-)

Old 07-02-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I moved to Georgia over 30 years ago from New Jersey. As a liberal, I often feel like a fish out of water in the south. However, you CAN find likeminded people......we had many well-attended debate watching parties for Sanders supporters. If you are dog lovers, you should be aware that Knoxville is particularly dog-friendly in large part due to the efforts of the founder of Radio Systems Corporation (Petsafe, Sportdog, Invisible Fence), which is headquartered in Knoxville. Tennesee is also offering free community college, which is very progressive. I will be moving my liberal self to Knoxville in 2018 to live near my liberal daughter, who moved there 2 years ago. Maybe we will start taking over. :-)
It's not free unless you are coming directly from a Tennessee high school. It's called Tennessee Promise. Last year, President Obama came to Knoxville's Pellissippi State College to show the nation this incredible program that was started by Republican Governor Bill Haslam.

It's very liberal at the core of the city of Knoxville and a few other areas. The rest of us are sprinkled throughout the area.

Our mayor is one of the most liberal in the country; she cut her teeth working for the rights of migrant workers in Cesar Chavez's program. She saw to it that our fair city is one of the most energy efficient in the land. She's been appointed to task forces by Haslam and Obama.

By the way, the Radio Systems founder is a conservative. He helped host Jeb Bush when he came to town, last fall. He is now the Economic and Community Development Commissioner, appointed by Bill Haslam. He is a heck of a guy.

You see, here in Knoxville we tend to get along with each other.

A majority of the people here own guns, go to church, live in nice, humble homes. There are an awful lot of mansions here, too. Those people love their guns, too. In fact, the man that owns Pilot truck stop lives in a stunning home, is very generous philanthropist and raised his children to do the same. And they do. One of his sons is the governor of Tennessee.

I didn't tell the OP any of this because she has a penchant for stereotyping and is intolerant. I'll also tell you that we don't want the city to be taken over by anyone. It's great the way it is.

Signed,

A liberal from up north
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville