Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,097,233 times

Advertisements

Oops!

There really are some wonderful car shows right in the Knoxville area. Sevierville and Gatlinburg are hosts to several car shows.

Car Show News - Tennessee Car Show Schedule

The Floyd Garrett Muscle Car Museum is in Gatlinburg.

So, there is so much for car enthusiasts, plus Bristol Race Track!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 12:10 PM

7,500 posts, read 17,105,101 times
Morristown has some pretty good shows, too. I don't remember the club affiliates but a quick Google should help you out.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:31 PM

812 posts, read 1,665,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
Oops!

There really are some wonderful car shows right in the Knoxville area. Sevierville and Gatlinburg are hosts to several car shows.

Car Show News - Tennessee Car Show Schedule

The Floyd Garrett Muscle Car Museum is in Gatlinburg.

So, there is so much for car enthusiasts, plus Bristol Race Track!!
You know, that was something I noticed right about this time last year was the abundance of different car gatherings most noticeably between Sevierville and Gatlinburg.

I'm REALLY not a fan of cars as a hobby per say, but most of these events are really cool to see for if nothing else watching very different people being united by a common passion.

I REALLY hope to make it to Bristol NEXT year for both NASCAR AND NHRA events.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:16 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,670,916 times
Default Ticket hunting

Ted, Do you have a hidden secret in obtaining Bristol tickets for either NASCAR or NHRA? I know tickets can be purchased online but am wondering as a resident if you may have other suggestions/options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
You know, that was something I noticed right about this time last year was the abundance of different car gatherings most noticeably between Sevierville and Gatlinburg.

I'm REALLY not a fan of cars as a hobby per say, but most of these events are really cool to see for if nothing else watching very different people being united by a common passion.

I REALLY hope to make it to Bristol NEXT year for both NASCAR AND NHRA events.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:47 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,632,182 times
And don't forget that East Tennessee also has some of the best dirt tracks (and dirt track racers) in the country. Scott Bloomquist, who lives in Moorseburg, is considered one of the best out there and was the subject of a CNN special on Dirt Racing last year. Jimmy Owens, who lives in Newport, is a protege of his and has been winning all the big dollar ($50,000 to win) races.
Some local dirt tracks have closed but there are plenty left.
Volunteer Speedway at Bulls Gap is right off the Interstate at 11E and I-80. They host several top dollar events each year and bring in some of the best from around the country. The regular Saturday night guys put on a good show too. Good entertainment and you can bring the whole family for less than the cost of a Bristol Ticket.
Volunteer Speedway: The World's Fastest Dirt Track! - Bulls Gap,Tennessee - Auto Racing - Saturday Nights
They have shows before the Bristol races and you'll often see the NASCAR stars racing or in the stands. They love it.
Tazewell is one of the fastest dirt tracks. A deep clay bowl, it's exciting to watch the races there. It's off 25W near the Cumberland Gap.
Tazewell Speedway Tazewell, Tennessee
The Mountain Speedway in Maryville is one that's been revived recently. Way back when it was a NASCAR track, when they were racing dirt.
The Mountain Raceway Park and Fairgrounds - A New Beginning
Unfortunately, one of the best tracks in the area, Atomic, closed two years ago and has been torn down.
There are also speedways in Wartburg and Crossville that run intermittently.
If you're a race fan, check it out some Friday or Saturday night. If you think it's all rednecks, you'll be very surprised. A lot of today's NASCAR stars started on dirt and several own dirt tracks.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,097,233 times
Thanks, knoxgarden. The dirt track races can be just as exciting - if not more so to some of us - than the NASCAR and sports car races.

Those sites are now tucked away in my Bookmarks library!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,702 times
I noticed the mention of several dirt speedways are any of these close to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg I would love to catch a local race while visiting from Ohio Home of the Dirt Track World Championship

Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 PM

780 posts, read 1,757,651 times
We have a dirt track here in Seymour on 411, races on Sat night, its not the biggest but its near Sevierville

411 Motor Speedway races on Saturdays. We usually open at 5pm. We're only 13 miles south of Knoxville and much closer than those other tracks. With the price of gas being what it is, 411 is a reasonable alternative to other spectator sports.
Need to Map us?
411 Motor Speedway
632 Maryville Hwy
Seymour, TN 37865

Old 07-16-2008, 01:32 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,632,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtRacer View Post
I noticed the mention of several dirt speedways are any of these close to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg I would love to catch a local race while visiting from Ohio Home of the Dirt Track World Championship
The Gap (Volunteer Speedway) would be the closest. It's right off I-81 at Hwy. 11E. Unfortunately, they're not racing every weekend this year.
At the Gap's big races, you'll see a lot of the same guys you'll see at DTWC.
Scott Bloomquist considers it his home track, so does Jimmy Owens. Volunteer Speedway: The World's Fastest Dirt Track! - Bulls Gap,Tennessee - Auto Racing - Saturday Nights - 2008 Race Schedule
It's nothing at all like a midwest track, but are steep red clay oval. Very different race action and a lot of fun. The regulars are tough racers and are often in the big Ohio shows.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:16 AM

394 posts, read 789,406 times
One of the reasons I'll be retiring down there. Racing, the hot rod scene and let's not forget all the nice twisty roads in the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville