Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 08:11 PM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times

Advertisements

Wife and I was just in area in March. I know, Been a while. Gatlinburg and surrounding areas are like a second home to us. We fell in love with the area several years back and finally made a return trip. We are even thinking about relocating to the Maryville area, just so we can be close to employment opportunities. When we heard about the fires, it was like a punch to the gut. We followed the news as much as we could from here in Louisiana. Yall are in our thoughts and prayers through the rebuilding process. Also we really hope we're able to relocate soon so we could take part. Much love!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 07:28 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Good news: NO structures within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park were burned! That seems close to miraculous, considering the terrible damage done to structures outside the park and to the forests both within and outside of the park. But none within the park itself were harmed, thankfully.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:55 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
I just wondering how things have been recovering since the fire now in 2018? If you wanted to go to Great Smokey Mountains National Park should you avoid Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area since there has been so much destruction? How much of the forests have been decimated in this area? Anyone have any suggestions of areas still worth seeing and areas worth avoiding?

Old 01-24-2018, 07:42 PM

196 posts, read 259,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I just wondering how things have been recovering since the fire now in 2018? If you wanted to go to Great Smokey Mountains National Park should you avoid Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area since there has been so much destruction? How much of the forests have been decimated in this area? Anyone have any suggestions of areas still worth seeing and areas worth avoiding?

The entire area is still worth seeing. There is nothing to avoid. There are tons of trails and pretty much all tourist businesses in the area are still there.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:17 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Most of the damage was done to private residences. The fire department saved the critical tourist core of downtown Gatlinburg so if you visit most everything is still there and the attractions that were damaged or destroyed have been rebuilt. The forest did take a hit but because this is such a wet climate everything greened back up quickly. There are areas where trees were killed but most places the fire only burned the undergrowth leaving the trees. Most trails in SMNP have reopened and only a small portion of chimney tops trail was permanently altered. A lot of effort has gone into recovery and rebuilding so any visitors will find what they have traveled to see, natural beauty and Gatlinburg/pigeon forge tourist attractions.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:
My wife and I went back in November. There is plenty to do in the area. Some businesses have already returned, others I hear rumors of insurance issues or whatever. There is even a new business called Anakeesta with a ski lift to take people up on the mountains on another side of the Parkway (and the original Gatlinburg Ski Lift reopened as well). While we noticed some fire damage, unless you go searching, it was almost as if nothing happened on the roads we mostly traveled.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:55 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
I appreciate the responses. I'm considering moving to Tennessee this Spring and I was interested in spending a lot of time hiking the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I heard the fire was pretty devastating, but wasn't sure how much of the forests were destroyed. My main concern is the forested and natural areas of the Park, rather than the towns. I don't even know if I would even spend time in places like Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. However, I am happy to hear that the damage to the forested areas is not too severe.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:17 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:
I appreciate the responses. I'm considering moving to Tennessee this Spring and I was interested in spending a lot of time hiking the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I heard the fire was pretty devastating, but wasn't sure how much of the forests were destroyed. My main concern is the forested and natural areas of the Park, rather than the towns. I don't even know if I would even spend time in places like Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. However, I am happy to hear that the damage to the forested areas is not too severe.
The only trail I know that was closed, for a while, was the Chimney Tops. It sucks because that was on trail on my list to do. Last I knew, most of that trail has been reopened, but the top where the rocks/boulders are is still closed because they don't know if the heat of the fire weakened the area and thus making rock slides an issue. Many people focus on the trails off Newfound Gap Road, but there are a ton of trails and even those further south on the road from the Chimney Tops area never even saw fire from what I understand. Tons of hiking opportunities for you down there. Also don't limit yourself to just GSMNP. There is tons of hiking along the Blue Ridge Parkway, W. NC, and E. Tenn., even E. KY has some decent hiking from what I've seen.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:58 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I watch The Weather Channel and have seen all sorts of harrowing video. But the other night they showed a man trying to drive his truck out of this fire, it was the most riveting video I've seen. The fire was everywhere and he drove for miles and never seemed to get out of it. He did manage to make it but it was terrifying footage.

Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiZsH-NwzM8

Old 02-17-2018, 04:10 PM

348 posts, read 256,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I watch The Weather Channel and have seen all sorts of harrowing video. But the other night they showed a man trying to drive his truck out of this fire, it was the most riveting video I've seen. The fire was everywhere and he drove for miles and never seemed to get out of it. He did manage to make it but it was terrifying footage.

Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiZsH-NwzM8
This was like driving in a nightmare. There is smoke and fire everywhere and you cannot see the road and you are driving on a windy mountain road.

I remember when the fire was moving up the mountain to the Park Visa Hotel. Some of the guests were videoing the fire right outside the windows. There was nowhere to go. Only one way up the mountain and fire and fallen trees on the driveway blocked anyone from driving down. The fire department did an excellent job of extinguishing the fire before it reached the building and saving so many people.

Our cabin burned to the ground during the Gatlinburg fires and our original plan was to move into the cabin on December 1, 2016. This was 2 days after the fire. Due to work commitments our plan was delayed and then the cabin burned. We are thankful we were not in the cabin but more thankful that nobody else was in our cabin at that time. Our cabin was half way up a mountain and like the Park Vista only one way down.

This will go down as one of the worst fires in Gatlinburg history.

Last edited by littlebebe; 02-17-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville