Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 01:40 PM

59 posts, read 67,959 times

Advertisements

Hello Knoxvillians:

I believe, as some have said in older threads, that Knox has it pretty good re natural disasters (mainly re tornadoes and flooding). I'm in NE FL and can hardly wait to get out. Matthew frightened me like I've never been frightened before. I believe that these disasters are going to increase in occurrence and size. I don't want to live the rest of my life where I am in constant threat of losing everything and rebuilding. This area is too prone to hurricanes, tornadoes and flooding. Lived here long enough. Ready to go, for this and a number of other reasons.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-24-2017 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 PM

320 posts, read 534,712 times
Anywhere in the Southeast will have some danger of flooding and tornadoes. That said, the Knoxville area is much less prone to these events than anywhere Florida. Most large rivers in the area are dammed and controlled for flooding. There is always a risk of flash flooding if you live near small streams or rivers. Tornadoes aren't uncommon, but are usually short-lived and relatively weak.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:00 AM

9,436 posts, read 10,709,046 times
There is a moderate earthquake threat here that many forget about. This area sits atop the East Tennessee seismic zone which can produce damaging quakes. Also the new Madrid monster on the west side of the state could have an impact here if they get hit with a big one. Everyone knows about tornados and flooding here in Tennessee it a great deal of folks forget about the quake threat or even do not know about it.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:45 AM

619 posts, read 1,605,412 times
I was born and raised in Tampa, spent 35 years there. I don't think we ever had a hurricane direct hit. Several passed north or south of us. East Tennesse is fairly free of natural disasters, I have felt 2 earth tremors since I moved here in 2008 however.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There is a moderate earthquake threat here that many forget about. This area sits atop the East Tennessee seismic zone which can produce damaging quakes. Also the new Madrid monster on the west side of the state could have an impact here if they get hit with a big one. Everyone knows about tornados and flooding here in Tennessee it a great deal of folks forget about the quake threat or even do not know about it.
No, I have not heard about the East TN Seismic zone. When did Knoxville last have an earthquake?

What is the Madrid monster? A fault?

I am from Middle TN anyway and none of the weather in TN would repel me from moving back to East TN. While the weather all over the world really is degrading, IMO, TN weather is still a far cry from the threats here in FL. I'm already a senior, so by moving away from here back to an area that I know is much more beautiful and where I want to live out my remaining years would buy me more time to avoid a serious natural disaster. While freak weather could occur there, it's a given now here that the yearly hurricane season will be frightening.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llsmith42 View Post
Anywhere in the Southeast will have some danger of flooding and tornadoes. That said, the Knoxville area is much less prone to these events than anywhere Florida. Most large rivers in the area are dammed and controlled for flooding. There is always a risk of flash flooding if you live near small streams or rivers. Tornadoes aren't uncommon, but are usually short-lived and relatively weak.
Thank you for your comment. Growing up in Middle TN and living most of my life in Nashville, I am familiar with Old Hickory Lake Dam and Percy Priest. I miss the streams and creeks of TN too. Fl does not compare. I've never visited Orlando or Miami but I already know. For all of their areas of manicured splendor, they can't compare either.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
I was born and raised in Tampa, spent 35 years there. I don't think we ever had a hurricane direct hit. Several passed north or south of us. East Tennesse is fairly free of natural disasters, I have felt 2 earth tremors since I moved here in 2008 however.
Thank you for replying. But the weather conditions are getting worse everywhere, every year. I'm sure it's not the same anymore as far as some who still live in Tampa are concerned. Since you responded to this post we endured Irma. Shortly before that was Matthew. There has been record damage, record locations, record evacuations, record flooding, record everything.

I remember when I was growing up in Middle TN, the high summer temp was 75. I looked forward to that balmy, warm high temp with the sunny days every year. I know what the temp was because though I was a child, I used to watch the weather on TV. The sun felt good and it was fun to be outdoors. Now there is record heat everywhere. Suddenly, I was well into adulthood and temps in summer were averaging in the 90s. I lived in Greensboro, NC for a few years not too long ago and for a few days in summer temps hit 100, 101, 102 and 103. Glaciers are melting at faster rates and the polar caps are receding. I'm just saying that things are different now, and anyone of a certain age has been around long enough to see that the weather and the threat of other natural disasters are not going to get any better, or safer.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 AM

9,436 posts, read 10,709,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
No, I have not heard about the East TN Seismic zone. When did Knoxville last have an earthquake?

What is the Madrid monster? A fault?

I am from Middle TN anyway and none of the weather in TN would repel me from moving back to East TN. While the weather all over the world really is degrading, IMO, TN weather is still a far cry from the threats here in FL. I'm already a senior, so by moving away from here back to an area that I know is much more beautiful and where I want to live out my remaining years would buy me more time to avoid a serious natural disaster. While freak weather could occur there, it's a given now here that the yearly hurricane season will be frightening.
The New Madrid fault is considered one of the most dangerous ones in the nation. Historically it produced two devastating quakes in 1811 and 1812. Those quakes created Reelfoot lake in West Tennessee and caused serious damage to frontier communities. If a quake like that occurred today much of West Tennessee, East Arkansas and west Kentucky would be devastated. No one knows how long it will be before a big one happens in that region again. East Tennessee sits on a fault of its own that has potential to cause damage. Supposedly the East Tennessee seismic zone has the potential to cause quakes of 6 or 7 on the Richter scale, although a 4.6 is the largest I’ve read about in the last century. A 5 will definitely cause damage, a six would be serious and we definitely don’t even want to talk about a 7. This is not California, most buildings are not constructed with earthquakes in mind, a serious quake could be bad here because of our lack of preparedness.

All that being said the earthquake risk, tornado risk and flooding risk is minor compared to the yearly onslaught of hurricanes in Florida. I love Tennessee and would not let any of our moderate risks frighten me into not living here. No where is completely safe from disaster, all places have thier weaknesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: