U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from Los Angeles California to Knoxville or Tennessee, dislike cookie cutter homes, 200k home budget, quality public school systems

Old 03-04-2008, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,675 times

Advertisements

My husband (48) is under hospice care at home for a brain tumor and other complications. Because he is unable to work & taking care of him & my 6 year old is a fulltime job I can no longer afford to live in LA, CA. I have been wanting to leave this town for a while but my husband's work (music composer) was always here. My mother is moving along with me & she has always loved TN. We are coming to visit in April and have been considering Knoxville or Mid-Tennesse (outside Nashville). Any opinions on either city? I want good public schooling & a house in the $200K-ish range. But don't want to live in a cookie-cutter house. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 03:44 PM

11,873 posts, read 32,899,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehauhub View Post
My husband (48) is under hospice care at home for a brain tumor and other complications. Because he is unable to work & taking care of him & my 6 year old is a fulltime job I can no longer afford to live in LA, CA. I have been wanting to leave this town for a while but my husband's work (music composer) was always here. My mother is moving along with me & she has always loved TN. We are coming to visit in April and have been considering Knoxville or Mid-Tennesse (outside Nashville). Any opinions on either city? I want good public schooling & a house in the $200K-ish range. But don't want to live in a cookie-cutter house. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
I am so sorry about your husband's brain tumor. I'm sure he's getting great care with you staying home with him. You sound like someone who is thoughtful and compassionate.

Before I give you my impressions of Knoxville vs. Nashville, there's a bit more information I need to know. Do you or your mother need to find a job? I understand not wanting to live in a cookie-cutter subdivision (I hate those, too) but do you want to live in a city? Or out in the country? Or in a small town?

Besides good schools, what else is important for you? Proximity to shopping? Churches? Lakes? I'm guessing being near good hospitals is important? How about being near an airport so you can fly to and from California to visit? Air fares out of Knoxville are about DOUBLE what they are out of Nashville which might be something to consider if you and your family plan on making trips back and forth from L.A.

My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope we can offer you some good advice to help you make this important decision.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:03 PM

4,247 posts, read 20,764,941 times
I'm very sorry about your situation. I wish you the best. Like JMT said, if flying is really important, then being close to Nashville will reduce ticket prices a huge amount.

Knoxville and Nashville are quite different cities, kind of like L.A and San Francisco. Both are in CA, but very different, in many ways (I grew up in SF Valley and moved here in 94). Both have a lot to offer, and are probably equal as far as medical care goes.

With a little more info with regards to your wants and needs, I'm sure many of us can give you some insight.

Take care

Old 03-08-2008, 07:34 AM

58 posts, read 136,945 times
Default Mid TN, East TN?

Hi.
I'm so very sorry to hear your husband is so ill.
My friend of 23 years is fighting a brain tumor too.
I lived in Mid TN and now live in East TN.
I think you'd like Spring Hill very much. It's burgeoning town right now, but still with a small town feel.
Best of luck to you. If I can help with "legwork" or research or anything let me know. Check out my profile for a link for transfers too!
God Bless.
D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehauhub View Post

Old 07-12-2008, 09:57 PM

11 posts, read 31,376 times
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. My mother had a brain tumor, too. I live in East TN and love it here. The people are nice and there are houses with some character, (I hate cookie cutter houses too, red brick ranchers are the worst)
Good luck in your search. May God Bless you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville