Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,825 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

My Fiancé and I might be moving to Maryville later this year, and we've considered buying a lot and having a house built. We would be looking at 1700-2000 square feet, 1 story, single-family home. I've done some research that for 2500-3000 s/f would be $175 per s/f. Are there any experienced contractors in the area that have done smaller homes like this that could give us an idea of what to expect? We're still in the planning phases, so just trying to figure out numbers and at least have a ballpark idea. Ideally, we don't want to spend more than $210,000 for the house. There's just not a lot on the market right now, so we figured that it would be better to just build a house to our liking.

Also, any recommendations on contractors would be greatly appreciated, too!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 12:08 PM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Looking at Maryville closely I agree there just doesn't seem to be a lot of housing available in a lot of price ranges. We will be downsizing in retirement and we want a house in the $150,000 range. Lots in and around Knoxville, Johnson City too. But not Maryville. Wondering why.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:29 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Looking at Maryville closely I agree there just doesn't seem to be a lot of housing available in a lot of price ranges. We will be downsizing in retirement and we want a house in the $150,000 range. Lots in and around Knoxville, Johnson City too. But not Maryville. Wondering why.
There are eight new construction listings on Trulia in Johnson City. The base price of the cheapest model is $195,000. I'm sure with any upgrades it'll be over $200,000. Most are $250,000+.

There are thirty something new construction listings in Knoxville. There are some duplexes with each side in the mid $160k range. Everything else is close to $200,000 or more.

I don't think you're going to find any new construction in east TN for $150k or less. With the cost of land, labor, materials, running water/sewer/power, permits, etc., it's probably not profitable for builders to even build homes at that price.

My guess is that you're going to see higher prices for new construction in smaller towns because there is so little being built, that demand for the units will cause prices to rise beyond what you might think. Much of the housing stock in these smaller or outlying towns is older, dated, and probably needs a lot of work to be brought up to current trends on the inside. By the time these houses get an overhaul, you're probably getting fairly close to new construction prices.

I have been looking for homes in Knoxville and Johnson City, and in general, the housing stock in and around Knoxville proper is much nicer than what you'll find in Johnson City or other small towns (not that sure on Maryville, but a quick look on Trulia and I'd put it's housing stock behind JC), and often a little less expensive. I have been considering buying a home in a year or so, and I'm actually starting to lean toward buying in Knoxville and either commuting back to Kingsport for work for a bit or staying with my parents some during the week.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:01 PM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
I am not looking for new construction, I fully understand it is more profitable for builders to put up $250,000 homes than $150,000 homes

Old 04-08-2017, 03:47 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,586 times
Probably around $80/sqft with basic finishes (depends on level of finishes etc...)not including land or bringing in utilities from the street, just building a house, hiring a general contractor to do it etc.....

Smaller the house, more expensive per sqft. Bonus rooms, offices and extra bedrooms are cheap compared to kitchens and bathrooms.

Cost of building has gone up a lot over the last three years.

Last edited by High Altitude; 04-08-2017 at 04:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville