Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:23 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times

Advertisements

Contact Narrow Ridge. If they don't have what you're looking for, they probably know where to find it.
Home (http://www.narrowridge.org/index.html - broken link)
There are probably quite a few communities like that around. You need to find them. Go to Farmer's Markets and talk to the farmers, go to craft shows and talk to the crafters.
Also check out Berea, KY. The college there has long been a proponent of sustainability and preserving crafts and culture and it has grown into quite a center. Lot cheaper than Asheville.
Berea College - SENS - Ecovillage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Leave it to knoxgarden to have the answer.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:49 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Given the number of specifics you are looking for in an area, I doubt you will find a perfect fit. If there are some areas you are willing to adjust your expectations a little, you may find several areas, but I agree that Asheville would be much more likely to have what you are looking for.
Have to agree. Asheville, NC definitely sounds like your kind of place.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:05 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Sustainable living communities--is that the new term for hippie community or a commune?

There was one of those mentioned a while back...someone asked if the something-or-other community was still active. Darned if I can remember the name of the place...I think I remember it was really out in the sticks.

Good luck--

Old 03-07-2008, 05:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Sustainable living communities--is that the new term for hippie community or a commune?

There was one of those mentioned a while back...someone asked if the something-or-other community was still active. Darned if I can remember the name of the place...I think I remember it was really out in the sticks.

Good luck--
I've had a coherent moment! It's called The Farm and it's in middle Tennessee.

The Farm

Old 03-07-2008, 05:14 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
That's it! Thanks hik!

Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
The Farm looks a little more communal than the Asheville ecovillage.

Ah! I forgot about Berea. I knew little about its sustainability, but I do know lots about their efforts in preservation of culture and heritage.

If I made more money I'd love to own enough land to be truly self-sustaining like our ancestors. Alas, the ironic is that the poorest (ME! ) are some of the the furtherest away from sustainable behaviour.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:45 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
I have to say something about Berea and I have been debating on bringing it up here or not. I don't want to go off topic. I love Berea though and think it is an uncovered treasure. I stayed there in an inn run by the college. I had dinner there and can still remember how daggone good the bread pudding was. For that reason alone I would go on another trip to Berea! I am not sure about their sustainability, however, it is a teensy Asheville in some respects.

Hmmm, might need to plan a weekend to Berea this year with DH. I don't think he has ever been to Kentucky? Hmmm.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:02 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
I love visiting Berea. I make a couple of runs to Ohio every year and always work in a stop, coming and going if I can.
Their crafts festival every year in mid-July is worth the drive just for that
Home
I seriously considered moving there at one time but decided I wanted a larger city.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:23 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
I think these people want a teensey Asheville, though. Just without the Asheville prices. They want to be around people like themselves because they can't tolerate intolerance.

If you could relax and learn to be happy around typical Tennesseeans you could find something pretty reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville