Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:59 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,238,005 times

Advertisements

Not to mention, ice is frequently an issue. Snow can start as rain and change over, creating hazardous conditions or else it can do as it has for the past few days- warm up or the sun shine enough to melt, then it refreezes at dark. Couple that will hills and shady areas and it's often too much to handle for the average driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:49 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,767,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't buy that people can't drive in it. I'd rather be here than up in New England where rude people lean on their horn, swerve around you, flip you the bird, get in front of you then slam on their breaks to turn. If I had a nickle for every time I saw that happen in 34 years...

People are more cautious here and certainly more polite.

The biggest problem is this area can be flat, hilly or mountainous and there are not that many plows. There really is no need for it. Remember that this is The South. It doesn't really snow here so why buy a couple hundred plows? We just kind of sit around, play with the kids, read a book, make some rib-sticking food and wait for it to melt. Usually it melts in a couple of hours.

What we are experiencing is something that most of the country is dealing with. Right now, in my hometown, there is about two-feet of new snow and more to come. That's not that unusual. And every state in The Union has snow, except for Florida, right now. It's record breaking.

It's also irritating me to see some newcomers complaining about how cold it is in Tennessee when it is not usually this way...

Anyway, I think I was born in the wrong part of the country, especially when it comes to driving.
I always find it interesting that people move here and assume the weather for that year is how the weather always is. All you have to do is look up the averages to realize that this is not average!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times
We see a lot less ice here than up north, too, but once again, we don't have the road equipment to make those roads passable when and if we do get ice.

And for the record, December's average high is almost 50 and January's is 46. It's predicted that is will get to 41 tomorrow and I feel like I should throw a party and hire a brass band.

Last edited by hiknapster; 01-14-2011 at 09:47 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,743,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
I always find it interesting that people move here and assume the weather for that year is how the weather always is. All you have to do is look up the averages to realize that this is not average!

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. This is a very unusual winter for a lot of places, and the snow and cold are really not normal. I haven't passed out enough reps yet... so I couldn't rep you. Sorry...

Having lived in an area where there was a lot of snow I know that most people speaking so derisively about southerners' lack of driving ability in snow are people who drive in areas where there was more experience in snow removal making it easier for them to drive than it is here. They also have less experience with ice. Here as in other places in the south that only infrequently see real snow accumulations there are very few plows. Instead one drives on snow melted by brine or salt, which is then flattened and hardened by tons of cars and trucks and frozen overnight, all without benefit of plows. The result is quite hard to get around on.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:54 AM

93 posts, read 170,460 times
When some people are snowed in and left to stew in their bitterness, they tend to research the posts of people who they disagree with, trying to find something bad they can drag out and chew on. That is just way too funny.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:35 PM

374 posts, read 941,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't buy that people can't drive in it. I'd rather be here than up in New England where rude people lean on their horn, swerve around you, flip you the bird, get in front of you then slam on their breaks to turn. If I had a nickle for every time I saw that happen in 34 years...

People are more cautious here and certainly more polite.

The biggest problem is this area can be flat, hilly or mountainous and there are not that many plows. There really is no need for it. Remember that this is The South. It doesn't really snow here so why buy a couple hundred plows? We just kind of sit around, play with the kids, read a book, make some rib-sticking food and wait for it to melt. Usually it melts in a couple of hours.

What we are experiencing is something that most of the country is dealing with. Right now, in my hometown, there is about two-feet of new snow and more to come. That's not that unusual. And every state in The Union has snow, except for Florida, right now. It's record breaking.

It's also irritating me to see some newcomers complaining about how cold it is in Tennessee when it is not usually this way...

Anyway, I think I was born in the wrong part of the country, especially when it comes to driving.
The Knoxville area rarely gets 6+" of snow at one time, so this past week is somewhat unusual for here. Because there is so little snow on a regular basis, we simply do not have the opportunity to gain experience driving in large amounts of snow. Ya can't get experience driving in snow if ya don't have regular snow - duh

We had between 7-8 inches of snow where I live. I'm originally from Florida and have NO experience driving in snow or ice. As a courtesy to all the other drivers on the road in (dangerous) snowy/icy weather, I stay off the roads. The life I save will definitely be my own and possibly could be yours.

Regarding school closings, because of the many, many backroads in this area, were snow plows do not or cannot go, school buses cannot reach many children who depend on being bused to school. That's why schools stay closed long after the main roads are clear. In areas where there are separate city/county schools, one may be open and the other be closed. It does seem really odd when the roads are clear and schools are closed - but I really think it's the backroads/bus issue.

Now, I doubt that anyone would like to see an increase in taxes to assure that all roads are clear and safe so that everyone could drive during every infrequent snowfall. But, that's what it would take to increase the number of snow plows, salt trucks, materials, and staff to make certain the roads remain passable at all times. I do understand the financial frustration these days cause to both businesses and workers - but since we can't control the weather, we just either chose to enjoy the day off or worry about what it's costing us - or a combination of both.

Regarding newcomers' complaints about the cold weather...it actually has been this way many years during the past 25-30 years. Hik, you just moved to this area during a period of extremely mild winters. Prior years were very much like last year and this one. We just got spoiled by the recent mild winters which, at first, were not the way it usually was... It still is much milder that many other areas of the country and colder than Florida - which is experiencing extreme record-breaking cold this year. However, E TN is still just where I want to be

Old 01-16-2011, 04:04 PM

I agree with absolutely everything you said, so I hope you didn't misunderstand my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
The Knoxville area rarely gets 6+" of snow at one time, so this past week is somewhat unusual for here. Because there is so little snow on a regular basis, we simply do not have the opportunity to gain experience driving in large amounts of snow. Ya can't get experience driving in snow if ya don't have regular snow - duh

We had between 7-8 inches of snow where I live. I'm originally from Florida and have NO experience driving in snow or ice. As a courtesy to all the other drivers on the road in (dangerous) snowy/icy weather, I stay off the roads. The life I save will definitely be my own and possibly could be yours.

Regarding school closings, because of the many, many backroads in this area, were snow plows do not or cannot go, school buses cannot reach many children who depend on being bused to school. That's why schools stay closed long after the main roads are clear. In areas where there are separate city/county schools, one may be open and the other be closed. It does seem really odd when the roads are clear and schools are closed - but I really think it's the backroads/bus issue.

Now, I doubt that anyone would like to see an increase in taxes to assure that all roads are clear and safe so that everyone could drive during every infrequent snowfall. But, that's what it would take to increase the number of snow plows, salt trucks, materials, and staff to make certain the roads remain passable at all times. I do understand the financial frustration these days cause to both businesses and workers - but since we can't control the weather, we just either chose to enjoy the day off or worry about what it's costing us - or a combination of both.

Regarding newcomers' complaints about the cold weather...it actually has been this way many years during the past 25-30 years. Hik, you just moved to this area during a period of extremely mild winters. Prior years were very much like last year and this one. We just got spoiled by the recent mild winters which, at first, were not the way it usually was... It still is much milder that many other areas of the country and colder than Florida - which is experiencing extreme record-breaking cold this year. However, E TN is still just where I want to be

Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 AM

745 posts, read 1,711,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post

I would beg to differ just a bit on the post. Weather trends tend to occur in cycles, and while it is true there have been cold winters in the past 25 years, the last 15 or so years, before winter of 2010, have been mild for the most part. In fact, January and February, 2010, had cold temp stretches of days that matched those in the 1890s, not the last 25 years. December 2010 was also the fifth coldest December in history, if I am not mistaken......in history, not the last 25 years. So, the cold weather of winter, 2010, and this one thus far is an aberration it seems. Six inches of snow is a "big" snowfall indeed for this area and the previous official largest snowfall for Knoxville proper, was in January of 1996 when five inches fell.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
I would beg to differ just a bit on the post. Weather trends tend to occur in cycles, and while it is true there have been cold winters in the past 25 years, the last 15 or so years, before winter of 2010, have been mild for the most part. In fact, January and February, 2010, had cold temp stretches of days that matched those in the 1890s, not the last 25 years. December 2010 was also the fifth coldest December in history, if I am not mistaken......in history, not the last 25 years. So, the cold weather of winter, 2010, and this one thus far is an aberration it seems. Six inches of snow is a "big" snowfall indeed for this area and the previous official largest snowfall for Knoxville proper, was in January of 1996 when five inches fell.
Regarding that aspect, though, I agree with you.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:50 PM

17 posts, read 24,053 times
Question snow

Hello everyone!
I just moved in the Greenback area" Lambert Rd" and I was wondering how much snow does this area get in the winter? I already know they don't plow the roads, and I don't like to drive in snow at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville