Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 06:36 PM

22 posts, read 57,194 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I'm currently doing PT mobile work. I grew up in Indiana as a child, but have lived the adult part of my life in the east coast: NYC, Virginia/DC, Tampa, and overseas.

I'm thinking of temporarily moving to the mtn areas of Eastern Tenn while I'm in transition mode because I LOVE nature, and the older I'm getting I just want to be away from fast-paced life, but not yet ready for slow-paced suburbia. However, I have zero clue where to go. I would like to tell you all what I am looking for, and if you know what area will be a great place to start looking or living for 3 months, please let me know! Thank you all!!!

I'm 37, single, and kinda career-focused. I'm multi-cultural, totally socially liberal/politically middle-of-the-road (I work in the political field), have zero interest commenting on others' way of life, I'd like the same respect back (live and let live), have zero tolerance for ignorance, don't want to be surrounded by one race or ethnicity or religion, and need a lot of social stimulation. In fact, without diversity, beautiful weather, and a gorgeous environmental landscape (including ppl), I shrivel up and die of boredom or staleness. Plus, Im MAJORLY into weather and beautiful places. I think more than average sensitivity.

I am over crazy city traffic and huge bustling cities. In fact, if I don't see a mall or shopping plaza, I will be SO happy! I think they make landscapes hideous. I'm a huge nature lover but have not had time for that until now, so I want to explore. I would love to do more serene, laid-back things: hike, view the mtns, walk paths that are safe for a woman...I'd like to live in a safe, at-least-middle-class area w/ the the lowest cost of living possible (note I said possible). To me, if I have to pay more than $1 for bottled water, I get angry.

I like unique big towns/small cities with CHARM (who doesnt). Def BELOW 200,000 with a homey, comfy, at-home feel. Walkable distances would be great to get to DT, n driving to the mtns would be cool. Nature paths, green-living, eco-friendly communities. Also a place that resembles more Midwest than East coast when it comes to sociability and friendliness.

Note: I know that what I am saying could even sound like I would love San Diego, but I found that place SO UTTERLY fake and disgusting, its not even funny. and I truly detest that the city has killed all of nature to make man-made everything. I felt so fake there I actually didn't even like going out too long.

I meditate, so I am definitely looking for peace and reflection and a positive energy: not suburbia or crazy city life with tons of partying. Im also looking for somewhere there is a cool, educated, singles scene w lovely ppl. Not that i'll be actively looking, but I want to feel like I am in a place that would work for me if I decided I wanted to live there.

I love warm weather, but I dont think I could do 100% humid Florida weather, although living in St. Pete, Florida was probably the best year of my life as far as calm, chill, laid-back lifestyle goes.

Places Ive lived and loved, so u guys can get an idea:
NE Indiana - omg, kill me now 250,000 people. Boring family life, nothing to do but restaurants in Bible Belt America.
NYC - AMAZING! but too big, crazy, loud n fast for me now. It stresses me out a bit now, even though I still love it to death for its liveliness, cool factor n beautiful ppl.
DC - cool city! but too much traffic, and people there are evil as hell lol.
NE Virginia - boring as hell. too crowded but cool little places can be found. I prefer smaller neighborhoods like Old Town Alexandria!! diversity is plenty and so are single men so that was a plus!
St Pete, FL - Best place EVER. Perfect size, traffic, laid-backness, walkability, chill, diversity, but now I hear its becoming developed quickly and WAY too high cost of living.
Greece - IN LOVE, JUST PERFECT, minus crappy economy. Athens was TOO BUSY. the islands were perfect.

Thanks all for reading this through. Sorry so long!

Old 05-23-2017, 04:23 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
You want Asheville. There are NO liberal areas here

Old 05-23-2017, 04:55 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
San Diego? I don't think anyone here that read your wants would have you pick San Diego. On population alone, its over 5 times your threshold for tolerance.
Knoxville is also well over your population threshold.
Asheville might be a better choice.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:17 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
You want Asheville. There are NO liberal areas here
While I was reading this post, before I saw yours, Asheville came to mind.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 AM

363 posts, read 481,915 times
Sigh. Seriously. Based on your hate of NE Indiana, restaurants and bible belt, you might not want to be here either. Maybe Tacoma or Portland, OR might be more your forte.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:55 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Definitely Asheville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz79 View Post
I'm multi-cultural, totally socially liberal (I work in the political field),

NE Indiana - Boring family life, nothing to do but restaurants in Bible Belt America.

NYC - AMAZING!

NE Virginia - boring as hell.

St Pete, FL - Best place EVER. Perfect size
These notes seem especially significant

Old 05-23-2017, 10:46 AM

13 posts, read 13,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
Sigh. Seriously. Based on your hate of NE Indiana, restaurants and bible belt, you might not want to be here either. Maybe Tacoma or Portland, OR might be more your forte.
Right on with Portland! I'd add Olympia, WA.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:08 AM

216 posts, read 163,096 times
Boone, NC

Old 05-23-2017, 11:14 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Asheville fits the vibe you are seeking but it is an expensive place to live and not many jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville