Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:45 AM

396 posts, read 1,305,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Sure. Where are you moving?
You are too funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
We moved really fast, too.

My husband's boss retired, and we were out of a job and a place to live. The housing market in Florida was through the roof and we realized it was "now or never."

Sometimes, you have to just go. I'm glad that we did.

I am so glad that you like the place.
Well, we kind of did now or never. We've been wanting to move to TN for a while now but we were having no luck selling our house. So, when we came up to visit a few weeks ago, we were just scoping out the job scene to get a feel for the market. Then my new job just landed in my lap and that was it. We still have our house in FL but it is being rented by a nice couple. They don't have great credit but they have a solid renting history. So they will probably be able to rent from us as long as we want to keep the house. I'd much rather have it sold but at least it's being paid for now.

I think because everything happened so easily for us, that it must be meant to be.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times
Lauren is eight, today. Of course she wants the pink one, but I will settle for any color. The chances of finding one are slim to none. I've been looking since before Christmas. I would have thought that they'd have some in by now.

Well, I'm off to the mall!

Happy moving and unpacking! You've both chosen great places to live!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,339,177 times
Glad you are safe and settled in. I am so envious. But it shouldn't be much longer for us. Hubby just needs to wait for a job to open up. Grrrrrrr.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,333,732 times
Jo Anne,

Isn't it exciting discovering all the conveniences of Knoxville? I felt the same way a year ago when we moved to Knoxville. I was from a tiny town that only had a funeral home, post office and phone company in its center, so when we got to East town I was like a kid in a candy store! A mall and fast food franchises and restaurants all around the corner, not 20 miles away.
Best of luck to you in your new job and enjoy your new surroundings.
Pam

Old 03-14-2008, 10:38 AM

3,897 posts, read 1,224,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
Jo Anne,

Isn't it exciting discovering all the conveniences of Knoxville? I felt the same way a year ago when we moved to Knoxville. I was from a tiny town that only had a funeral home, post office and phone company in its center, so when we got to East town I was like a kid in a candy store! A mall and fast food franchises and restaurants all around the corner, not 20 miles away.
Best of luck to you in your new job and enjoy your new surroundings.
Pam
Pam, I have told my hubby that I am going to feel like a 'kid in a candy store' several times!! We live 3 1/2 hours away from the closest mall, and our little island has a Winn Dixie and a CVS, so all of my 'in person' shopping for the past year has been limited to those two stores - the rest has been done online!! I am so excited about being able to have an assortment of restaurants to choose from, and multiple grocery stores, and Walmart and Target and Sams....oh my, I'm getting excited just thinking about it!!! I will definitely be contributing to the Knoxville economy when we arrive at the end of the month!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 03-15-2008, 07:48 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,105,868 times
LilCabinGirl, I am so glad to hear that your FL house is rented. That really takes the pressure off for awhile until you can find a buyer.

You will really enjoy your new home and I hope the job is everything you are expecting it to be.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,601,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCabinGirl View Post
My whole family is stunned about how fast we moved. We didn't plan to move this fast either but once I got the job, we had to go. I didn't expect to get a job for months but it really worked out great for us. We are really happy.
Same thing happened to me and my wife. We started talking about simply the idea of leaving Dallas in April or May of '06. We started researching, and narrowed it down to Knoxville, Nasville, Huntsville, or Chattanooga. I landed a job really fast, WAY faster than I expected, and they were willing to help pay our moving cost if I could start by no later than Dec 1. We never told our family that we were thinking about moving until June or July, and I don't think they took us seriously. I gave them all the news the first week of November that we were packing up and going. They were all simply stunned it happened so fast, I think some of them didn't take us seriously. But all in all they were very happy, and so were we.

So glad to here everything is going good for you so far. Glad to hear your pup is okay after the crash! Enjoy settling in. You got here right in time for the magical and delightful springtime. Last year was our first TN spring, and even with the drought and late hard freeze, it was pure heaven after living in TX for so long. Welcome to K'ville!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebette View Post
Pam, I have told my hubby that I am going to feel like a 'kid in a candy store' several times!! We live 3 1/2 hours away from the closest mall, and our little island has a Winn Dixie and a CVS, so all of my 'in person' shopping for the past year has been limited to those two stores - the rest has been done online!! I am so excited about being able to have an assortment of restaurants to choose from, and multiple grocery stores, and Walmart and Target and Sams....oh my, I'm getting excited just thinking about it!!! I will definitely be contributing to the Knoxville economy when we arrive at the end of the month!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO

You and me both. We lived in the sticks in FL and it feels great to have so much so close by. If I can ever get done with all this unpacking, I think I shall go on a shopping spree.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
LilCabinGirl, I am so glad to hear that your FL house is rented. That really takes the pressure off for awhile until you can find a buyer.

You will really enjoy your new home and I hope the job is everything you are expecting it to be.
Thank you Gem. And the good thing is that our renters want to rent for a few years so that really takes the pressure off. We are excited and hopeful that everything will work out in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville