U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:27 PM

62 posts, read 23,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I mean exactly what I said. When people are accustomed to having everything and demand it in their new locations, it's expensive for taxpayers. That prices out people who have lived here for their entire lives and includes things like laws (you can't do this or that) and regulations (more civil servants to administer and enforce and everything that comes with that like pensions, equipment, healthcare, buildings, etc.), sidewalks, parks, expensive schools, more stores, better roads, etc.. There is a reason why it's cheaper to live here.

Remember that when you vote, too.
Well, one reason our taxes were higher back home was they paid for schools and the completely insane amount of road maintenance needed from snow damage and removal. So unless TN lottery stops paying for schools and suddenly we start getting 70 plus inches yearly taxes and COL will remain lower. Also food is taxed here, where it wasn't back home. My area specifically had a huge religious sect that paid no taxes, which increased taxes on everyone else.
There's so many more stores here than where I'm from. So many.
And what regulations? I'd love to see regulations on car emissions, ya know like other counties in Tennessee already have.
There's more civil servants here and more parks and public areas than where I'm from.
How would gun regulations hurt taxes or COL?
Please don't tell people how to vote, that's just in poor taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:30 PM

13 posts, read 18,131 times
Hello~~We relocated to TN from Long Island NY in 2015. Actually bought the house in 2011 and 'commuted' for a few weeks at a time to TN from NY. Just like you we also needed to escape all the reasons you listed and more. We bought in Tellico Village. What attracted us to TV was all the amenities offered ,Tennis , Pickle Ball, indoor/outdoor pools, gyms,numerous 'groups' you can join, friendly folks who are all 'Transplanted' from just about every State in the Union.It's mostly for semi or fully retired people although it's not a restricted development. If you don't want to join in activities like I mentioned, then there is no extra costs involved. It's a 'Pay as you use' deal. Daily, monthly, yearly.
We have our own outstanding Fire Dept in Tellico Village and all members are EMT and higher qualified. Believe me, it's a VERY important aspect to consider. As a former 33 yr member of a Vol FD on Long Island, I can attest to the most up to date equipment and dedicated group of folks you could know. We're not too far from Knoxville but we find we don't travel to it often. We have great restaurants, medical facilities in Lenoir City. As a matter of fact, The University of TN (UT) just opened a beautiful Medical Annex in Lenoir City. and we also have a fine Hospital in L.C. called Fort Loudoun Medical Center. TV has mostly plots of land for sale, not wide open fields. There are plenty of coves off the Little TN river for fishing. We are extremely happy about the 'Village' and what it has to offer. I can't say I'm a big joiner of eveything, but even I joined a Computer club. As a member ($15.00 a year dues) some great expert members will come , either fix your 'puter or bring it into their shop and hopefully get it up & running again. When we were 'looking' on the 'puter for homes. we could not figure out why there so many homes up for sale. Once down here we learned that many folks bought when they were in the late 50's or 60's. As they aged , they look to down size but prefer to stay in the Village. Often when their mates pass away they decide to be closer to their family.. Hense, homes go on the market.Good Luck in your explorations where ever you settle down in. An Active Senior Living Retirement Community | Tellico Village

Old 06-30-2017, 06:26 AM

206 posts, read 233,928 times
Patton you are a great ambassador for Tellico Village. Sounds like you made the perfect choice for your retirement location. You are correct. It is mainly family reasons that cause people to put their houses on the market. Had a place there for 10 years. Our family did not move to TV for retirement, so it was not quite right for us. But for like-minded people such as yourself, it can be a big summer camp for grown-ups. Lots of fun and you can't beat the cost-of-living.
For those considering a move to Tellico Village, just remember the larger and higher-priced homes are not as marketable when you go to sell. And don't over improve. Enjoy your retirement!

Old 06-30-2017, 12:44 PM

698 posts, read 186,670 times
Not paying a state income tax is like being liberated.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 4,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I mean exactly what I said. When people are accustomed to having everything and demand it in their new locations, it's expensive for taxpayers. That prices out people who have lived here for their entire lives and includes things like laws (you can't do this or that) and regulations (more civil servants to administer and enforce and everything that comes with that like pensions, equipment, healthcare, buildings, etc.), sidewalks, parks, expensive schools, more stores, better roads, etc.. There is a reason why it's cheaper to live here.

Remember that when you vote, too.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info.

To Laura C
I appreciate your concern about people moving to your state and trying to make this place the same as what they are fleeing. But I think it is unfair to label all of us people who are demanding things in our new location.

My husband and I are not so much fleeing, we are semi retired and have always wanted to live in a beautiful area with lakes and mountains. We are looking forward to a layed back life style, as most retirees do, with some land and beautiful views. I would have no interest in changing anything. We actually vacation in Princeton ME every July (extremely small town) for piece and quite instead of Disney or other destinations. We love to fish,hunt,hike,garden,wildlife, etc. I am a little disappointed by your initial response. I hope that TN residents can be open to retirees coming down to spend our time and money.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:15 PM

4,040 posts, read 18,270,187 times
I can't speak for her, but I don't think Laura was trying to say that everyone that moves here acts like that.
However, I can say that I have had my share of acquaintances that did nothing but complain about how something wasn't like home, or wondered out loud why "they don't have.....like they do at home".

I moved here in 94, too while I'm far from being a native, I have been here a while. Some of them finally moved back home, because they just could not accept the differences. Others, I kind of moved out of my circle of friends.

Some people are a glass is half full type. Others are the glass half empty type. The you have those that complain that the glass is dirty, theres a chip on the rim, its not shaped like they are used to, and they didn't want the damn water anyway, cuz it doesn't taste the same.

Knoxville is a great town. The people here are just like any other town. You will find very friendly, helpful people, and you will find jerks. Just like any experience, or relationship, its give and take. If you give out a friendly demeanor, you almost always get the same in return.

Good luck with your move!

Old 07-06-2017, 08:09 AM

4,205 posts, read 7,772,726 times
nancy, given your stated interests, you'll be fine. Hunting and fishing are popular and the Knoxville area offers many outdoor sporting opportunities. 'NYS2Tennessee' illustrates the point that IMO 'LauraC' was making: that leftists and those who don't value our constitutional rights (like the 2nd A) often try to change things that may ruin what people here appreciate. I don't get that vibe from you, however know that like most places people often don't respond well to newcomers criticisms.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:48 AM

6 posts, read 4,564 times
Thank you for your input to this topic

We are very much conservatives and want to live as such. I Love the layed back simple life in a small community. I do realize it will be different and will take some getting use too. I can say I will respect the locals and culture very much!
Ready all of the post here have helped a lot ! Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:06 AM

276 posts, read 142,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyscial View Post
Thank you for your input to this topic

We are very much conservatives and want to live as such. I Love the layed back simple life in a small community. I do realize it will be different and will take some getting use too. I can say I will respect the locals and culture very much!
Ready all of the post here have helped a lot ! Thanks again.

Nancy, I think what the one TN resident was referring to is what is happening to New Hampshire and what happened to Maine and Vermont.

As far as I know you are from New England so you know what is happening with the flood of people from Massachusetts moving into New Hampshire. New Hampshire is turning into Massachusetts North politically and most of the native residents are not happy. They moved North and now they want the place to be like Massachusetts.

Same thing happened in Maine and Vermont.

These people move to other parts of the country where there are low taxes, far less regulations and then start trying to change everything. They seem to forget why they moved out of Massachusetts for a reason.

I saw the same thing when I was living in South Carolina. There was a Dunkin Donuts in the town and a lot of x New Englanders ( mostly Massachusetts people ) would gather there. They'd complain endlessly about ' what was wrong with this state ' and throw out suggestions about ' how to fix it '. When confronted with being told any of these changes would require more taxes they didn't seem to think it would hurt them at all.

And can you imagine what the vast majority of the SC people I met thought of these Massachusetts Yankees? Not too much - that's for sure.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:40 PM

729 posts, read 1,356,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post
Nancy, I think what the one TN resident was referring to is what is happening to New Hampshire and what happened to Maine and Vermont.

As far as I know you are from New England so you know what is happening with the flood of people from Massachusetts moving into New Hampshire. New Hampshire is turning into Massachusetts North politically and most of the native residents are not happy. They moved North and now they want the place to be like Massachusetts.

Same thing happened in Maine and Vermont.

These people move to other parts of the country where there are low taxes, far less regulations and then start trying to change everything. They seem to forget why they moved out of Massachusetts for a reason.

I saw the same thing when I was living in South Carolina. There was a Dunkin Donuts in the town and a lot of x New Englanders ( mostly Massachusetts people ) would gather there. They'd complain endlessly about ' what was wrong with this state ' and throw out suggestions about ' how to fix it '. When confronted with being told any of these changes would require more taxes they didn't seem to think it would hurt them at all.

And can you imagine what the vast majority of the SC people I met thought of these Massachusetts Yankees? Not too much - that's for sure.
Yes, I think that is exactly what Laura C was referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville