Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 22,168 times

Advertisements

Hi to all of you, new friends,

We are planning to move to Sevierville area to retire. Would anybody advise how expensive single family houses are ? Our budget is about $150,000, and if possible we would like some privacy with a mountain view. Just the two of us - hubby and I. Not looking for fun, just quiet living, proximity to good health care facilities, airport, and restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 06:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,046,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydoo531 View Post
Hi to all of you, new friends,

We are planning to move to Sevierville area to retire. Would anybody advise how expensive single family houses are ? Our budget is about $150,000, and if possible we would like some privacy with a mountain view. Just the two of us - hubby and I. Not looking for fun, just quiet living, proximity to good health care facilities, airport, and restaurants.
It's not particularly quiet in Sevierville because Sevier County is a tourist trap. You might want to nudge your search closer to Knoxville. There are several places that fit the bill, like Seymour, Tenn or the more rural areas of South Knoxville. Close to the airport and major hospitals, but also close to the mountains and quieter.

https://www.trulia.com/TN/Seymour/

Old 09-23-2017, 06:50 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,338,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It's not particularly quiet in Sevierville because Sevier County is a tourist trap. You might want to nudge your search closer to Knoxville. There are several places that fit the bill, like Seymour, Tenn or the more rural areas of South Knoxville. Close to the airport and major hospitals, but also close to the mountains and quieter.

https://www.trulia.com/TN/Seymour/
I agree with Hik's post above. Seymour provides a lot of options and the best of two worlds and a lot of access.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:05 PM

Thank you so much to you both - hiknapster and Beretta - for this valuable and fast information. We will definitely check out Seymour. Right now, our search will have to include only internet sites, but at least we know we are on the right track. We have been to the Eastern TN just once and absolutely fell in love with it. Unfortunately, our knowledge of the area and the people is limited. That's why we appreciate any info from people who live there and know what they are talking about.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:29 PM

Have another quick question. Does it get humid in summer months in the Seymour area?

Old 09-23-2017, 10:44 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,189,709 times
It's pretty much humid in all parts of east TN in the summer.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:45 AM

394 posts, read 789,495 times
Here's a link to the Knoxville area MLS site to aid you in your search: http://distil.flexmls.com/cgi-bin/ma...zs6d64si90i,16

You can also use the search function in this forum to find previous threads on just about any topic you can think of. You really should come down to visit various areas and see what floats your boat.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:19 PM

Thank you for your input. Humidity is a problem for my husband, but I thought being close to the mountains would make it less humid. We will try to plan our visit in summer then to experience it firsthand. There is definitely plenty of houses to choose from around Knoxville, so that's great. Planning a move isn't easy, that's for sure.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:33 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,338,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydoo531 View Post
Thank you for your input. Humidity is a problem for my husband, but I thought being close to the mountains would make it less humid. We will try to plan our visit in summer then to experience it firsthand. There is definitely plenty of houses to choose from around Knoxville, so that's great. Planning a move isn't easy, that's for sure.
The area is so humid; as is the entire southeast. If you want an area that isn't (dry heat) check out east Texas. It has no state income tax and is green w/ foliage with some lovely towns. Although I am a native of East Tennessee, I also lived in East Texas for a bit (employer has a plant there).

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,046,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
The area is so humid; as is the entire southeast. If you want an area that isn't (dry heat) check out east Texas. It has no state income tax and is green w/ foliage with some lovely towns. Although I am a native of East Tennessee, I also lived in East Texas for a bit (employer has a plant there).

Good luck.
I agree that this area is probably not for you if you don't want to be in the humidity, Scooby.

Quick aside: East Texas is NOT humid? Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville