Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:26 AM

96 posts, read 134,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There are people that come from up north, live in Florida and then thrive in the Knoxville area. However, most of the transplants head to North Carolina. Sounds like you'd be a good candidate.
Well, it looks like we're one of those from up North to Fla and then to...?

7 - 8 months of HOT has gotten to us, and we're in North Fla! Add to that increasing traffic and encroaching crime and, well, it's time to reconsider before it's too late we're thinking.

We have some friends in the W/S area of NC. However, that income tax is a concern. Other of our friends are heading to TN, but, more north eastern than Knoxville.

My wife and I are more townies than rural dwellers. We like neighbors but would like a bit of space between houses - at least enough to swing a cat in. Our concerns are: on some sites the air quality of the Knoxville area is rated poor - lots of pollutants and pollens. Also, the crime situation. Done with it!! Worked in that field 20 years that was enough. We just want a nice, affordable home in a decent area, fairly close to church (there is one in downtown Knoxville), and accessible to good medical care. We're semi-retired, so jobs are not too great a concern, although we'll both be looking for something to do. Wife is currently a Christian- based counselor and I enjoy working on old furniture - a hobby I picked up after a career in l/e.

We've also read that the Knoxville area might be unwelcoming to newcomers, especially from the North. That attitude also, sadly, exists up north. There are some places in the north (some small towns in coastal RI come to mind) where unless you are at least 2nd generation you will always be an outsider.

We're born in the North, but love the South - its beauty, its traditions and pace of life. Jax is wonderful in many respects...but the constant HEAT!

Suggestions, comments?

Old 10-23-2017, 08:52 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCTFL View Post

7 - 8 months of HOT has gotten to us, and we're in North Fla! Add to that increasing traffic and encroaching crime and, well, it's time to reconsider before it's too late we're thinking.

We have some friends in the W/S area of NC. However, that income tax is a concern. Other of our friends are heading to TN, but, more north eastern than Knoxville.

My wife and I are more townies than rural dwellers. We like neighbors but would like a bit of space between houses - at least enough to swing a cat in. Our concerns are: on some sites the air quality of the Knoxville area is rated poor - lots of pollutants and pollens. Also, the crime situation. Done with it!! Worked in that field 20 years that was enough. We just want a nice, affordable home in a decent area, fairly close to church (there is one in downtown Knoxville), and accessible to good medical care. We're semi-retired, so jobs are not too great a concern, although we'll both be looking for something to do. Wife is currently a Christian- based counselor and I enjoy working on old furniture - a hobby I picked up after a career in l/e.

We've also read that the Knoxville area might be unwelcoming to newcomers, especially from the North. That attitude also, sadly, exists up north. There are some places in the north (some small towns in coastal RI come to mind) where unless you are at least 2nd generation you will always be an outsider.

We're born in the North, but love the South - its beauty, its traditions and pace of life. Jax is wonderful in many respects...but the constant HEAT!

Suggestions, comments?
The basic gist of hospitality goes like this.

In general, I think urban areas and their suburbs are going to be more welcoming to outsiders than outlying rural areas. The urban core and more affluent suburban areas are going to attract people from not only other parts of east TN, but from outside the area as well.

Many rural areas in east TN are populated by families who have been there for generations. People know each other. Social circles are full with family, long-term friends, and fellow churchgoers. They are less used to dealing with people from outside the area. I don't think it's outright hostility (though some people are hostile to outsiders, though you can find that anywhere really) as much as it is their social scene is already full of people they've known for years.

As for crime, again, stay inside the Knoxville metro. Many people from outside of east TN think that city = bad, country = good, but it doesn't necessarily work that way here. While there are bad parts of the urban area and plenty of fine rural areas, things like drug manufacturing/running are particularly bad in rural areas, and where there are drugs, you will find crime related to drugs.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:22 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I think one of the biggest hurdles that the OP may face is finding a home with a basement that checks all of the other boxes. Basements can be hard to come by.

There are drugs here, as I posted before. This may, or may not be a fit. Some folks fit in, some don't. Hopefully they will come and let us know how they fare after they visit.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:05 PM

191 posts, read 307,956 times
You may well find what you want here. The test comes when locals ask what you think of the area. The best answer is "It's beautiful." or "The people are so friendly!" It is not " We did things so much better where I came from." Bet you knew that.

Many rural areas do seem to mistrust transplants. The Knox Metro Area is far more laid back as well as safer and more prosperous.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I think one of the biggest hurdles that the OP may face is finding a home with a basement that checks all of the other boxes. Basements can be hard to come by.

There are drugs here, as I posted before. This may, or may not be a fit. Some folks fit in, some don't. Hopefully they will come and let us know how they fare after they visit.
In the outlying areas from the city, where the land gets more hilly, walk-out basement homes are pretty common.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCTFL View Post
One fella I was corresponding with called such residents "half-backs": They left New England for Florida, found the couldn't (censored) stand the place and came half-way back to Tennessee.

Quote:
Other of our friends are heading to TN, but, more north eastern than Knoxville.
I lived in Blountville when they had one and a half traffic lites in the early '70's and the whole area is built up like I couldn't believe, but there's still a lot of availability in the Tri-City area, if only you take the time to look.

Quote:
We've also read that the Knoxville area might be unwelcoming to newcomers, especially from the North.
It will be what YOU make it to be. Just be as nice as you can and you'll find the underlying niceness of the NATIVE folks will bubble right up to meet you. But remember, a lot of the residents are no more from the South than you are so you WILL find a varying welcome! Persistence is the key.

Quote:

Suggestions, comments?
(And they think JAX is hot??? Sheesh! Try Texas!)

Old 04-15-2019, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 8,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeva316 View Post
My father who lived in New England for 50 years, then came down to Florida for now 15 years, has Rhumetoid Arthritis, again been here in FL for 15 years now then going to another state that has 30-40 degree weather will definitely effect him certain parts of the year. So yes for someone who been in the south for years then 40 degree weather will be cold to them.

But humidity also effects RA so going to an area that has less humidity but not freezing cold should help him.
Yes I know NC has warmer parts but again trying to be within 45 min of the mountains so what area in NC that is within 45 min to the mountains is warmer than Tn ?
Hickory

Old 04-15-2019, 03:32 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelson7 View Post
Hickory
Not very much warmer, if at all.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:06 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelson7 View Post
Hickory
This is an old post/thread and that person is no longer a member here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville